E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 138 votes, 4.08 average.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:41 AM   #1721
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Bleed with the engine off
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:29 PM   #1722
seattle330

My Ride: '05 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
When I was changing my pulleys yesterday, I noticed my URO water pump pulley has a little wobble to it. I may put an ECS pulley on it. That looks like it was made on a CNC lathe so it should have good run out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaDupa Steve View Post
I think I'll wait till someone chimes in for the URO one before buying. I don't want to guinea pig the ECS one though. I've got a spare composite one at work but I'd like to replace it and be done with it and not worry about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
FWIW, my URO branded aluminum runs perfectly flat when spun.
I bought the URO aluminum unit as well when I did mine last June, and it didn't quite fit on the top of the WP. Last weekend I helped a friend with his cooling system and took the opportunity to replace my old plastic WP pulley with the ECS one. The ECS one had a much smoother mating surface and fit like a glove, and is lighter than the URO one. No problems with it.

One bleeding technique I stumbled across as well that might help is the following:
1. With Front of car raised, shut all lower drain screws, and open upper rad hose bleeder screw
2. Fill new coolant into ET until it nears the top
3. Massage upper rad hose until most of the coolant has settled in
4. Squeeze upper rad hose, then while holding, close bleeder screw, then release hose. This will draw coolant up to the top.
5. Open bleed screw, then repeat step 4 a few times until coolant comes out of bleed screw.

This worked well enough that no additional coolant was needed after the test drive and cool down.
seattle330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:13 PM   #1723
inferno nexus

My Ride: 2003 325i AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
If BMA says they are OEM, they are OEM. Those are all good parts you listed. Carry on, chap!
BMA says they they have a Behr (OEM) expansion tank for $49 and a genuine BMW ET for $78+ shipping. I also see coolxpert on their website for $76.51. What's your recommendation? Thanks
inferno nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:26 PM   #1724
Stinger9

I'd use any of the three.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:33 PM   #1725
inferno nexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
I'd use any of the three.
Thanks. Just checking cos the ET is reportedly the first thing to crack
Old 01-15-2014, 07:35 PM   #1726
Stinger9

Important is to not use the really crappy stuff like URO, and to not let any of the lot get too old in your car.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:53 PM   #1727
inferno nexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Important is to not use the really crappy stuff like URO, and to not let any of the lot get too old in your car.
Hmm...BMA parts recommended me a URO for the ET mounting bracket. Perhaps I should try to reuse my old bracket and return the URO later?
Old 01-15-2014, 09:47 PM   #1728
Stinger9

Never personally tried that one myself, but I think I recall others saying it doesn't exactly fit.
I'd reuse the original unless you have reason to doubt it, or want to give the URO a try.

Last edited by Stinger9; 01-15-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:53 PM   #1729
SupaDupa Steve

My Ride: 02 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaDupa Steve View Post
Getting ready to do a cooling system refresh on my car but I've got a couple questions.
Are the URO aluminum pulleys any good? ECS also makes an aluminum pulley now too..
Should I replace the expansion tank bracket? I've personally never seen one fail so I'm a bit hesitant to spend $50 on a part that isn't needed.
and lastly, How about the smaller hose that goes to the expansion tank and then the lower one that goes to the bracket, is the O-ring inside of those able to be replaced? if so, what is the part number.
Anyone?
SupaDupa Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:08 PM   #1730
jogfrogjog

My Ride: car e46 330xi
Hey all, after getting through the first 12 pages of this I decided to skip the the end. Anyone do any type of aftermarket upgrade using something other than OEM spec'd stuff. Specifically, I want to eliminate the factory expansion tank and use a universal stainless steal one with possibly an e36 Mishimoto all aluminum radiator. The main issue is the two hoses that go to the factory expansion tank and if anyone has rerouted them or anything else. I have 188k on my e46 330xi with a needed motor mount and leaking rad/expansion tank (not sure yet, but it's on that side of the rad), I have a mishimoto rad that I purchased for a e30 project car I had done an m50 swap to as well as 5-lug swap. Also looking at the thermostat housing of the e36 and e46, I looks like it might be a direct physical swap, so it might be possible to switch it to a mechanical and put a resister in for the sensor, and check stuff the old way of actually checking on the car vs. waiting for idiot lights to pop up. The nice thing if I were able to go to the e36 therm housing, I can put the lower temp thermostat housing and use whatever rad pipes I find at the local auto parts store without having to go with proprietary bmw stuff that I would have to expect to fail. I know there are concerns using something other than oem and all the crap, but I'm looking to make my car/cooling system more reliable with what I have vs. purchasing the same crap and without going nuts with a $1500 zionsville rad/expansion tank thing. I prefer that if it was 10% of the price or 20%. I got the mishimoto for around $200 if memory serves me correct. I also replaced my wrx's stock with a mishi after it started leaking as well.

keep in mind, I'm not requesting this of people to do this nor suggesting, I want to try this for myself, my car has 188k on it and I was offered $1000 at a dealership for it and I just put a UUC flywheel and m5 clutch in it over the summer which was around the same as the offer price. I'll likely start a thread as to thoughts for this turning into a project car instead this thread, but wanted to see if anyone did major modifications to the cooling system and what they did.
jogfrogjog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:41 AM   #1731
Zardoz33

My Ride: 2001 325xi
I knew I should have taken a pic of this area before I scrapped my original radiator. Question: Does the circled area look flush enough to you guys? I poured through a ton of radiator threads but no one had a straight pic (they were on funky angles) of this section. Not sure how far down that part of the e.t. mounting bracket is suppose to go into the radiator.

I haven't put it on the car yet, just going through preliminary installs while awaiting my final parts shipment to arrive.
Zardoz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:40 PM   #1732
daves325in2012

My Ride: 04 330cic & 00 540i
Re: * E46 Cooling Guide (Information w/parts list/bleeding) *

I had the same problem with my cooling overhaul when I was putting in a new oem manual radiator coming from OE radiator and et bracket to new bracket/radiator. I had an automatic and received a manual radiator at the time knowing I could punch this out and have it work as a normal automatic radiator would

I then drilled a hole in the area on the radiator you show in the pic, which eventually after boring it out worked and I made it fit, but even after fitting it I had a small leak ( inch of coolant leaked out of the expansion tank per month)

I really think there needed to be more bore made so the bracket could be pushed down lower into the area.

Just make sure to make the hole is big enough and its pushed in flush all the way with the screw screwed in tightly.

Don't be afraid to redo it and make it right

Sent from my XT907 using BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by daves325in2012; 01-18-2014 at 02:43 PM.
daves325in2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:29 PM   #1733
Zardoz33

Thanks Dave. By boring out the hole, did you mean this area? The inside part where it droops down looks like that might be causing the e.t. bracket to not sit flush.

Last edited by Zardoz33; 01-18-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:40 PM   #1734
daves325in2012

My Ride: 04 330cic & 00 540i
That is the one.
I used a dremel tool to grind to little by little then cleaned out all the scraps of plastic out

Sent from my XT907 using BimmerApp mobile app
daves325in2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:59 PM   #1735
N4NOOK

My Ride: 323ci
Hey guys,

I'm struggling to remove my expansion tank from the thermo! Any advice?
Every hose and bale clip has been removed i just cannot seem to pull it out even managed to break the top clip mount on the radiator bracket ffs
N4NOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:59 PM   #1736
N4NOOK

Hey guys,

I'm struggling to remove my expansion tank from the thermo! Any advice?
Every hose and bale clip has been removed i just cannot seem to pull it out even managed to break the top clip mount on the radiator bracket ffs
Old 01-22-2014, 06:55 PM   #1737
Stinger9

Most just replace both during a cooling system overhaul.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:03 PM   #1738
N4NOOK

yeah i ordered a replacement yesterday and it just arrived so we'll how i go with that now lol
Old 01-23-2014, 03:19 AM   #1739
Zardoz33

The plastic oem p.s. and water pump pulleys didn't take a lot of force to come off. However, installing the aluminum URO ones were a bit of a pain. I didn't feel comfortable whacking the pulleys onto the pumps with a lot of force, so I filed their inner holes down a tiny amount. Then, I used block of wood and mallet to lightly tap them into place. Tip: Spend the extra $8 and buy the ECS water pump pulley and a different p.s. one instead.

Sooooo I snapped a water pump stud earlier. Yeeaaaaah! Stupid move on my part by using a 1/2" drive and not a 3/8" for those tiny nuts. Anyway, vice grips easily removed it. I could remove the other 3 studs and use the bolts from the thermostat which another user did here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=859116. Not 100% sure though. Might do some hunting at Home Depot for another alternative. I feel like experimenting with the way the water pump mounts.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:34 PM   #1740
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz33 View Post
Might do some hunting at Home Depot for another alternative. I feel like experimenting with the way the water pump mounts.
I"ve found some really Cheap Chinese Crap hardware at Home Depot. Snaps.
Why not try http://www.mcmaster.com/?m=true#screws/=qdnk7g
And get some rated hardware.

Tags
bleeding, coolant, cooling system, diy cooling, expansion tank, lower hose sensor, mango, overheat, radiator, radiator hose, temp sensor, temperature sensor, thermostat, water pump