E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
zac5

My Ride: Turbo M3
Overboosting...HPF guys chime in plz

Hey guys,

Long story short, my car is 03.5 M3 SMG. I just got the HPF stage 1 installed and went for a test drive yesterday. I noticed my boost gauge recorded at 13psi but I didn't get a chance to look at the AFR reading since I let off the throttle right away. The car is in pump gas mode only(we don't have 110 octane or any kind of race gas here in continental China). Knock siren didn't went off

Check all the possible causes following hpf trouble shooting guide, hardwares looked fine. Thus, I have some questions for you guys as follows,

1. Could this caused by bad fuel?

2. During the installation, I couldn't find the differences between the two boost solenoids that provided by the HPF. Therefore, are they identical to each other or they are high boost/low boost specific tagged? If so, how do I tell the difference? Thinking about switching them around to see if helps.

3. During the test drive with factory traction control was on, I slipped the rear wheel a bit, and the cluster showed "xmas tree" , meaning all kinds of warning lights: Brake, ABS, Traction Control, Transmission, TPS(got new wheels tho)... Just as what it looks like on the dyno. The traction control light won't go away no matter how I press the t/c button. As long as I restart the car, all the lights went away. Any thoughts?

4. How do you HPF guys get away with passenger side intercooler pipe sitting so close to the ground? I saw some of you guys on here slammed to the ground with HPF kit, how did you get away from rubbing/scraping? Tried search here, but I haven't got anything constructive...

5. With the HPF stage 2 clutch installed, it chattered BAD off the line and the car almost stalled.(I did improve my pedal effort as the instruction stated) It did get better and better after a while tho. However, the worst nightmare is when I downshifting the transmission occasionally made HUGE grinding noise. I'm talking about huge noise such as your wastegate is dumping to atmosphere, or like when you doing 70 on highway suddenly your transmission hit by a giant rock underneath and the trans drags it for a sec. man, that is SCARY, not only for me but also other cars on the road. Do you think it is normal process while SMG is learning the new clutch?

Thanks in advance guys.
zac5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
Forcefed M3

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.75
Hey welcome. Sounds like there is some confusion on the solenoids, this could make you over boost a bit. Bad fuel would not cause this, incorrect positioning of the solenoids or pinched vacuum lines to the wastegate. PM HPF Kirk on here for some help. The teach in on the stage 2 clutch in an smg can be frustrating, drive it kinda hard to keep the clutch from glazing over. You did use a GT1 tool to teach the SMG computer the slip points on the new clutch? If not that will cause a bunch of errors and make it go into limp mode. As for the lower I/C pipe, you will learn quickly just how low that is.

Last edited by Forcefed M3; 04-03-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Forcefed M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 M3, 2006 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac5 View Post
Hey guys,

Long story short, my car is 03.5 M3 SMG. I just got the HPF stage 1 installed and went for a test drive yesterday. I noticed my boost gauge recorded at 13psi but I didn't get a chance to look at the AFR reading since I let off the throttle right away. The car is in pump gas mode only(we don't have 110 octane or any kind of race gas here in continental China). Knock siren didn't went off

Check all the possible causes following hpf trouble shooting guide, hardwares looked fine. Thus, I have some questions for you guys as follows,

1. Could this caused by bad fuel?

2. During the installation, I couldn't find the differences between the two boost solenoids that provided by the HPF. Therefore, are they identical to each other or they are high boost/low boost specific tagged? If so, how do I tell the difference? Thinking about switching them around to see if helps.

3. During the test drive with factory traction control was on, I slipped the rear wheel a bit, and the cluster showed "xmas tree" , meaning all kinds of warning lights: Brake, ABS, Traction Control, Transmission, TPS(got new wheels tho)... Just as what it looks like on the dyno. The traction control light won't go away no matter how I press the t/c button. As long as I restart the car, all the lights went away. Any thoughts?

4. How do you HPF guys get away with passenger side intercooler pipe sitting so close to the ground? I saw some of you guys on here slammed to the ground with HPF kit, how did you get away from rubbing/scraping? Tried search here, but I haven't got anything constructive...

5. With the HPF stage 2 clutch installed, it chattered BAD off the line and the car almost stalled.(I did improve my pedal effort as the instruction stated) It did get better and better after a while tho. However, the worst nightmare is when I downshifting the transmission occasionally made HUGE grinding noise. I'm talking about huge noise such as your wastegate is dumping to atmosphere, or like when you doing 70 on highway suddenly your transmission hit by a giant rock underneath and the trans drags it for a sec. man, that is SCARY, not only for me but also other cars on the road. Do you think it is normal process while SMG is learning the new clutch?

Thanks in advance guys.
I would definitely go through the trouble shooting guide again. Here's the link.
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/Prod...ing/11037/2/19

It's most likely a wastegate line routed wrong or pinched or plumbed incorrectly, but there are many otehr possiblities. I'd go through the installation manual again on those sections to verify they are done correctly.

Chris.
HPF Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #4
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
If you need local help, I have a friend who lives at Windsor Avenue. If going over the manual doesn't fix the issue. Contact me at Kr36101@aol.com. I will put you in touch with my buddy. He is fluent in mandarin/Taiwanese mandarin. GL man! The lang barrier can be a bish!
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
supersickbimmer

My Ride: 617rwhp M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Chris View Post
I would definitely go through the trouble shooting guide again. Here's the link.

It's most likely a wastegate line routed wrong or pinched or plumbed incorrectly, but there are many otehr possiblities. I'd go through the installation manual again on those sections to verify they are done correctly.

Chris.
Most likely this. I had the line melt on me. Causing over boosting issues. that would be the first place I check.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:23 AM   #6
zac5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcefed M3 View Post
Hey welcome. Sounds like there is some confusion on the solenoids, this could make you over boost a bit. Bad fuel would not cause this, incorrect positioning of the solenoids or pinched vacuum lines to the wastegate. PM HPF Kirk on here for some help. The teach in on the stage 2 clutch in an smg can be frustrating, drive it kinda hard to keep the clutch from glazing over. You did use a GT1 tool to teach the SMG computer the slip points on the new clutch? If not that will cause a bunch of errors and make it go into limp mode. As for the lower I/C pipe, you will learn quickly just how low that is.
Thanks for the input.
I checked all the solenoids fitting and vacuum lines to the wastegate, everything is fine. I haven't use GT1 to teach the SMG yet, will do that for sure. I don't understand how other guys on forum with HPF kit could slam their cars without scraping, it's really a head-scratching problem for me now. Now my car looks like a SUV because I/C pipe sitting so low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Chris View Post

Chris.
Thanks Chris,
I did trouble shooting by the guide and instruction manual, haven't found anywhere went wrong yet. I will re-check all the lines again and go for test drive it tmr see if overboost go away.

P.S. my knock siren didn't go off when the car was overboosting, so how can I check if the siren is working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
If you need local help, I have a friend who lives at Windsor Avenue. If going over the manual doesn't fix the issue. Contact me at Kr36101@aol.com. I will put you in touch with my buddy. He is fluent in mandarin/Taiwanese mandarin. GL man! The lang barrier can be a bish!
Oh sweet! thanks buddy. If nothing improved/solved by tmr I will shoot you an email for sure. Thanks in advance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersickbimmer View Post
Most likely this. I had the line melt on me. Causing over boosting issues. that would be the first place I check.
I checked all the line, they are all solid and no sign of melting tho. Thanks all the same.

P.S. You are Fabio, right? I saw your car on 401 last year which directly led me want a HPF m3. nice car indeed
Old 04-04-2012, 04:03 AM   #7
mbdarkwinter

My Ride: 2004 E46 M3 HPF S2
This is very much a long shot, but the first time HPF mailed us the reflashed ECU, it came with a stage 2.5 map on it, instead of a stage 2 map, my car did the same thing the first time we took it out.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #8
zac5

^ OMG...there is no way we can find out since the EMS is locked.

Update:
1. Have the GT1 reset the smg and the chattering went away. HPF Stg 2 clutch worked like it advertised, stocklish. NICE! However, I got "throttle hang" for secs when I downshifting using rev match, weird.

2. Tried another pull this morning, dashboard beep and car went into limp mode. pretty sure the beep was not knock siren since HPF changed the sound of siren long time ago, besides when dashboard beeps all kinds of warning lights went off at the same time.

any input guys?
Old 04-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #9
e46_m3

My Ride: 05' Imola ZCP M3
I have the new knock siren.. Sounds identical to when you leave your keys in the ignition.
I haven't had an over boost issue but I'd check the wastage make sure it's all correct down there.

Good luck.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #10
Forcefed M3

Quote:
^ OMG...there is no way we can find out since the EMS is locked.

Update:
1. Have the GT1 reset the smg and the chattering went away. HPF Stg 2 clutch worked like it advertised, stocklish. NICE! However, I got "throttle hang" for secs when I downshifting using rev match, weird.

2. Tried another pull this morning, dashboard beep and car went into limp mode. pretty sure the beep was not knock siren since HPF changed the sound of siren long time ago, besides when dashboard beeps all kinds of warning lights went off at the same time.

any input guys?
Can you take a picture of what lights are lit up on your dash? The hang up is an easy fix, contact kirk and tell him you need the little grey smg modual. If you have one check to make sure it is well grounded. Do not do anymore pulls until you figure out what is going on.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #11
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46_m3 View Post
I have the new knock siren.. Sounds identical to when you leave your keys in the ignition.
I haven't had an over boost issue but I'd check the wastage make sure it's all correct down there.

Good luck.
the NEWest siren sounds like cop siren pretty much, nothing factory.
It should really scare you lol

HPFChris, its still the siren I gave you link to right?

and as derek said, dont do anymore test runs UNLESS you put 110 leaded in the tank, this way if it over boost to 13 it dont matter.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #12
zac5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
email sent!

Quote:
Can you take a picture of what lights are lit up on your dash? The hang up is an easy fix, contact kirk and tell him you need the little grey smg modual. If you have one check to make sure it is well grounded. Do not do anymore pulls until you figure out what is going on.
I can't take a photo unless I go for another pull, which I'm trying to avoid atm. The hang up got even worse today, happened if I left off the throttle between shifts.

I'm sending pm to Kirk as I type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDiGlOM3 View Post
the NEWest siren sounds like cop siren pretty much, nothing factory.
It should really scare you lol

HPFChris, its still the siren I gave you link to right?

and as derek said, dont do anymore test runs UNLESS you put 110 leaded in the tank, this way if it over boost to 13 it dont matter.
Unfortunately, we don't have 110 leaded here in Continental China.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:40 PM   #13
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
cant order it? or get the meth system, there are people on here selling there methanol systems.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #14
zac5

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDiGlOM3 View Post
cant order it? or get the meth system, there are people on here selling there methanol systems.
No, I can't. but then if I get the meth system, i have to send the ems back to HPF to get a retune, right?
Old 04-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #15
323tom

My Ride: Turbo 323 ;)
Yes you do but sounds like they shipped you the aem with the wrong tune on it, this happened to me as well if I remember correctly, either way I would send the ecu to be sure and get them to pay shipping if it's there fault
Quote:
No, I can't. but then if I get the meth system, i have to send the ems back to HPF to get a retune, right?
Old 04-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #16
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Sir, you have a turbo M in mainland China? How cool is that? Dont you have access to all sorts of high end tuners from HK to help with your issues? Sounds like y6ou are doing OK on your own.

Are you foreign national or native Chinese? How much was duty? There must be a way around such horrific duties. Cant officials be "lubricated"? Not talking about oil or Vasoline(petrol jelly)...lol.

Dont you have to be extremely wealthy to own such a car in China? I know much of Asia has unreal duty on German cars. Goes back to British Colonial times...tax your subjects to death.

Last edited by Bdave; 04-06-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #17
Forcefed M3

Updates?.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #18
zac5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323tom View Post
Yes you do but sounds like they shipped you the aem with the wrong tune on it, this happened to me as well if I remember correctly, either way I would send the ecu to be sure and get them to pay shipping if it's there fault
I already checked the label on the aem ems and confirmed that HPF shipped the right one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdave View Post
Sir, you have a turbo M in mainland China? How cool is that? Dont you have access to all sorts of high end tuners from HK to help with your issues? Sounds like y6ou are doing OK on your own.

Are you foreign national or native Chinese? How much was duty? There must be a way around such horrific duties. Cant officials be "lubricated"? Not talking about oil or Vasoline(petrol jelly)...lol.

Dont you have to be extremely wealthy to own such a car in China? I know much of Asia has unreal duty on German cars. Goes back to British Colonial times...tax your subjects to death.
Well, I got the used one which I paid 60K usd for a 03.5 with 30k miles. I know you guys think this is nuts but it's actually very cheap in chinese used car market.

Governmental duty is based on car displacement for new cars at recent years, so AMGs you know.. This could be another reason we rarely have corvette or viper here.

My car is the first HPF m3 in continental China, and people are waiting for it come out. But I can't even give my buddy a test drive atm.

Quote:
Updates?.
Still a no go. I let my mechanic checked the fittings and lines again, haven't found anything unusual. We filled up the 98 octane RON(which is the best pump gas we can get, only available in few cities) and went for a test drive. This time I had my mechanic kept his eyes on the gauge, AFR is good and yet found overboost until 5k rpm where "beep" came on within fuel cut and the car went into limp mode. Restart the car and then car went back running normally.

Anyone ran into the similar situation before? How come the limp mode occurs?

PM'd Kirk@HPF and he is kindly enough to help me diagnose the problem, thanks.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:15 PM   #19
nnacpil

My Ride: 2006 BMW M3
You ever figure out your boost problems? I'm having the same issues but over boosting to like 17 lbs. I checked the map sensor and it's working properly. Chris K is having me check the lines which I'll do when I have freaking time. I hope it's a melted line just like someone said in a earlier post. I'm just waiting for Chris K to email me instructions on the installation part of this section since I never got a installation guide.

2006 BMW lllM3 SilverGrayMetallic/Cinnamon/Apex Arc-8
llHPF/ProEFI Stage 2.25 w/6766
SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by nnacpil; 12-16-2012 at 11:02 PM.
nnacpil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:38 AM   #20
zac5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnacpil View Post
You ever figure out your boost problems? I'm having the same issues but over boosting to like 17 lbs. I checked the map sensor and it's working properly. Chris K is having me check the lines which I'll do when I have freaking time. I hope it's a melted line just like someone said in a earlier post. I'm just waiting for Chris K to email me instructions on the installation part of this section since I never got a installation guide.
Yes, I did.

It turned out to be my throttle actuator went bad that caused all these problem. Boost was right on after I swapped for a new throttle actuator later on, never went into limp mode again.

Sorry for being lazy and irresponsible not update the threads. Good luck.