E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #401
thewedge

My Ride: 2001 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46iT View Post
need help with rear view camera

after hours of taking my toruing apart to get the rear view camera installed.... you guys on coupe or sedan have it easy....

now everytime i put the car in reverse the rearview camera displays the picture but when i put the car in nutral or in gear the screen does not change and it displays camera in the top left corner and in the middle no signal... to get the screen back i either have to disconnect the pink cables on the head unit or turnt he car off.

the way i have it connected:

pink cabels are connected at the head unit without them being connected i do not get the rearview camera screen on head unit.
rearview camera is hooked up with provided rca cable
rearview camera gets power from revese light.

please help as the car and all the triming is apart and need to get this done ASAP.
Don't connect the pink cables. You need to connect the rear tail-light to the pink cable going into the head unit. The other pink cable is not needed. Works perfect and how it was intended to be setup.
thewedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:12 AM   #402
bmilnes

My Ride: 525i Sport Touring
OK, FWIW, I have resolved my Radio Reception problem. (This after the self-proclaimed "experts" TTints in Luton failed to do so.)
Beemers have Antenna Amplifiers, typically fitted in the rear pillar, which use the heated rear window elements as aerials.

This unit needs to be powered - there's a single white wire (with a brown connector) that takes 12V.
On some Beemer models, removing the original head unit wiring breaks the switched power to the Antenna Amp and the Radio no longer works (unless you're in a very strong signal area).
All you (or your installer) needs to do is reconnect that white wire with say the red cable coming from the head unit and you'll get perfect FM & AM reception.
(You need to tap the LOC option on Radio to get AF to stay on station.)

As mentioned elsewhere the Media / Radio / "DVD Player" functions are pretty shite. But at least it's programmed to cut out whereas the WinCE side doesn't automatically (although its Media player is better looking than that on the "other side").

Be really interested, then, in someone who can hack into the Media Player and get a decent interface, Album/Artist/Playlist interface, CD Player support, FLAC file support etc etc...
bmilnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:39 AM   #403
thewedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmilnes View Post
OK, FWIW, I have resolved my Radio Reception problem. (This after the self-proclaimed "experts" TTints in Luton failed to do so.)
Beemers have Antenna Amplifiers, typically fitted in the rear pillar, which use the heated rear window elements as aerials.

This unit needs to be powered - there's a single white wire (with a brown connector) that takes 12V.
On some Beemer models, removing the original head unit wiring breaks the switched power to the Antenna Amp and the Radio no longer works (unless you're in a very strong signal area).
All you (or your installer) needs to do is reconnect that white wire with say the red cable coming from the head unit and you'll get perfect FM & AM reception.
(You need to tap the LOC option on Radio to get AF to stay on station.)

As mentioned elsewhere the Media / Radio / "DVD Player" functions are pretty shite. But at least it's programmed to cut out whereas the WinCE side doesn't automatically (although its Media player is better looking than that on the "other side").

Be really interested, then, in someone who can hack into the Media Player and get a decent interface, Album/Artist/Playlist interface, CD Player support, FLAC file support etc etc...
Or just replace that one with one that is powered elsewhere like the later Antenna Amplifier units. I posted a link earlier that details the antenna amplifier issues and ho to fix them. Replacement units that are self-powered are all over ebay (in both frequencies).

Link: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=413211

Last edited by thewedge; 07-31-2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:13 AM   #404
bmilnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewedge View Post
Or just replace that one with one that is powered elsewhere like the later Antenna Amplifier units. I posted a link earlier that details the antenna amplifier issues and ho to fix them. Replacement units that are self-powered are all over ebay (in both frequencies).

Link: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=413211
Thanks thewedge - but I believe that your diagrams are misleading. e.g. in one photo, you have identified (with a blue arrow in one and a yellow arrow in another) the Antenna aerial as the Power Connector, whereas the 12V Power line feed is the white wire with the brown connector. (And that's all that needs connecting to a Switched 12v line.)

Sorry to be grumpy about this, but I have been through so much guff (esp from the "experts") but this is a simpler problem than most have suggested.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:25 AM   #405
thewedge

Quote:
Thanks thewedge - but I believe that your diagrams are misleading. e.g. in one photo, you have identified (with a blue arrow in one and a yellow arrow in another) the Antenna aerial as the Power Connector, whereas the 12V Power line feed is the white wire with the brown connector. (And that's all that needs connecting to a Switched 12v line.)

Sorry to be grumpy about this, but I have been through so much guff (esp from the "experts") but this is a simpler problem than most have suggested.
I have taken apart about 10 of these, the diagrams are correct for 2001 and prior E46. There are two cables in the back of the head unit that connect to two places on the amplifier. The older amplifiers are actually two smaller amps...and require two different power sources. One powers your remote entry and the other the Antenna systems.
On the newer model amps, the same amp drives both systems. Therefore, the smaller cable (old supplemental power cable from the head unit) is not needed. The larger cable is the antenna aerial. The white/brown power cable remains and is sufficient in the new amplifier to power all functions. You simply plug in the AM/FM cable and the newer amplifier does the rest powered from one cable. If you wanted to use a new head unit and not replace the amplifier, you would need to re-power both places on the amp...which is what you are doing and should be fine too. I assure you the white/brown connector cable was working on your unit or you would not have had remote entry.
All of this is assuming you are working on an E46.

Last edited by thewedge; 07-31-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:35 AM   #406
bmilnes

Thanks for the extra info thewedge - I'll take another look - and bow to your greater experience. However, there was no power on my white wire w. brown connector and the remote entry was definitely working (but the FM/AM wasn't). With it powered up, the FM/AM reception started working (and the Remote Entry continued to work).

Maybe we can take this conversation off-line?
Old 07-31-2012, 09:41 AM   #407
thewedge

Quote:
Thanks for the extra info thewedge - I'll take another look - and bow to your greater experience. However, there was no power on my white wire w. brown connector and the remote entry was definitely working (but the FM/AM wasn't). With it powered up, the FM/AM reception started working (and the Remote Entry continued to work).

Maybe we can take this conversation off-line?
Yea I actually just assumed the white/brown wire was power...because I never messed with it or traced it. It may be coming into the amp from the other side powering the remote side. The antenna side is definitely powered from the smaller cable...I used the multimeter to confirm this in the unit. Again, your car may not be what is being depicted in the detailed illustrations. This is good stuff for the people trying to fix their radios...
Old 07-31-2012, 10:03 AM   #408
bmilnes

This is the guide I used to work out what was/wasn't working - then used Multimeter and Power detector/applier (sorry don't know technical name for this device - used by friendly ex-ICE-fitter) to test and enable reception.
http://superiorvehiclerepair.com/how...reception.html
Old 07-31-2012, 10:04 AM   #409
bmilnes

Petrut,
I have the "Endif" error message referred to here before. (I have a B139 unit)
Can you send me a fix please?
Thanks

Last edited by bmilnes; 07-31-2012 at 12:21 PM. Reason: duplicate link
Old 07-31-2012, 03:16 PM   #410
mrwhite

My Ride: 325ti SE Compact
Ive learnt to live with the change and it doesnt bother me at all now. I dont allways listen to the same source all the time so just take it to main menu and switch before i start off

i use a 32gb pen drive and the load time of that can be a little while, but that is a lot of music to be fair so i dont mind too much
mrwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #411
ArashAce

My Ride: BMW 330CI
Hey guys so I installed the update and everything works. But I want to get the iGo Pro on the navigation. I cant find any links to where i can download the maps. And if I get the maps installed how do I redirect it that so when I click on the igo Pro icon it opens the maps? Thanks
ArashAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #412
bmilnes

If you didn't buy Maps with your unit, then you need to get the software. http://www.igonavigation.com/
GPS Underground has some useful information...
Old 08-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #413
ArashAce

The unit I bought came with the maps, but Ive heard that the iGo pro is way better then the maps that came with the unit. I just installed the software patch that I paid 20 dollars for but I want to know how I can use the iGo Pro where to download it and where to put it on the unit. Thanks
Old 08-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #414
bmilnes

What Software came with the unit?
(and if you read my post carefully, you will get the answer to your question)

The software is either run automatically by pointing the Navigation Software to the exe file (using settings) or if you are using iPhoneToday, you need to make sure in the settings (tap and hold the icon) that it points to the software. Petrut's software doesn't come with Map applications, just Icons and shortcuts to the most popular ones.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #415
Dannyboy223

My Ride: 2002 325ci
I have igo primo and it is amazing, much better than igo 8. I think you can type in igo primo in google and there will be a place to find it.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #416
mrwhite

My Ride: 325ti SE Compact
Ive posted links to full versions of dynavin edition of igo primo and instructions and screen shots on how to install other versions
it will do everything you need, search my posts

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...o#post14459539

Last edited by mrwhite; 08-07-2012 at 05:12 PM.
mrwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #417
E46iT

My Ride: 2004 325i Touring
any update in regards to firmware or new ROM for the enco wince version??

i really like to have the unit at least start on main menu when ignition is turned on.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #418
ArashAce

Quote:
What Software came with the unit?
(and if you read my post carefully, you will get the answer to your question)

The software is either run automatically by pointing the Navigation Software to the exe file (using settings) or if you are using iPhoneToday, you need to make sure in the settings (tap and hold the icon) that it points to the software. Petrut's software doesn't come with Map applications, just Icons and shortcuts to the most popular ones.
It says firmware version:
MCU:v04.21
DVD: v 04.21
HMI: v06.04

Thanks
Old 08-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #419
fbrimfield

My Ride: E46 318i
Argh! My ENCO unit died whilst driving today!

Have had it for about 5 months with absolutely no issues. Today, whilst driving and having iGo on the screen, and music playing from my iPhone, the unit just went black, and stopped working completely. Wouldn't power up. Even when car switched off, wont start back up, just a black screen.

At first I thought it might be a fuse, but then I tried doing a reset using the small reset button. Once you hold the reset button for 10 seconds, and then try and power it up using the regular power button, the button backlights will come on very briefly along with the screen backlight (for about 4 seconds) before going dead again. So it isn't an issue of the unit not getting power...

Tomorrow i'm going to disconnect the battery for a while and try and clear the unit BIOS settings. Hopefully that will work, but has anyone experienced anything like this before?
fbrimfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #420
boingboing46

My Ride: E39 523i 2000
Hi All,

Not posted on here before and hope you don't mind me posting as I'm a E39 owner so have the Enco B139 Wince 6 unit that I purchased from Charles at Szenco for 300 that included the reverse camera, DVB-T but no maps as I was going to install Igo Primo so that saved me $10. Custom charges where 8 so it seemed like a good deal.

I sold the reverse camera on eBay when it arrived for 25 (could not be bothered to install it) and sold the DVB-t aerial on ebay for 10 as well as it is rubbish and not amplified and purchased two amplified antennas from Hong Kong and a t-piece to connect them both up for 10 all in :-)

As for the unit I'm happy with it, seems to have a mind of its own when you switch it on as to what source it will choose and the interfaces for music and movies are not great but they are ok.

I also purchased the Wince Patch and that is the biggest waste of 13 ever so don't buy it, menus are terrible and pointless and the media players on it are worse than the standard and to be honest Petrut should be giving this away and not charging for it. I'm a computer engineer and when and if I can be arsed I will look at what can be done to improve the standard interface, thought I would try the Wince patch to see if it would save me a job but it doesn't
boingboing46 is offline   Reply With Quote