E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #421
Wickedly

My Ride: BMW 2003 325i
My time in my unit - enco has been acting weird. First it would move forward then normal time. So I would fix it once a week. Today it decide to give me some random date and time not even 2012. Looks like it keeps reseting itself . I think I read here or in another thread that there was like a battery inside the unit for the time. I decide to open up my unit and haven't found it. Anyone knows where it is? I will upload pics of my uploaded unit. Also my radio screen is like weird, I have to manually pause everything or mute everything by pressing the buttons and not the screen as a -touch-screen.

Wickedly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #422
E46iT

My Ride: 2004 325i Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrimfield View Post
Argh! My ENCO unit died whilst driving today!

Have had it for about 5 months with absolutely no issues. Today, whilst driving and having iGo on the screen, and music playing from my iPhone, the unit just went black, and stopped working completely. Wouldn't power up. Even when car switched off, wont start back up, just a black screen.

At first I thought it might be a fuse, but then I tried doing a reset using the small reset button. Once you hold the reset button for 10 seconds, and then try and power it up using the regular power button, the button backlights will come on very briefly along with the screen backlight (for about 4 seconds) before going dead again. So it isn't an issue of the unit not getting power...

Tomorrow i'm going to disconnect the battery for a while and try and clear the unit BIOS settings. Hopefully that will work, but has anyone experienced anything like this before?
if you are still having an issue with your unit it might be the steering wheel ibus module.. the constant 12V and the ignition 12V is contolled by it. connect the red and yellow wire ont he ibus conncotr to live 12V+, if you get the unit to power on then you got a faulty steering control ibus module.

i had this issue on the unit i got for jeep.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #423
mrwhite

My Ride: 325ti SE Compact
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingboing46 View Post
Hi All,

Not posted on here before and hope you don't mind me posting as I'm a E39 owner so have the Enco B139 Wince 6 unit that I purchased from Charles at Szenco for 300 that included the reverse camera, DVB-T but no maps as I was going to install Igo Primo so that saved me $10. Custom charges where 8 so it seemed like a good deal.

I sold the reverse camera on eBay when it arrived for 25 (could not be bothered to install it) and sold the DVB-t aerial on ebay for 10 as well as it is rubbish and not amplified and purchased two amplified antennas from Hong Kong and a t-piece to connect them both up for 10 all in :-)

As for the unit I'm happy with it, seems to have a mind of its own when you switch it on as to what source it will choose and the interfaces for music and movies are not great but they are ok.

I also purchased the Wince Patch and that is the biggest waste of 13 ever so don't buy it, menus are terrible and pointless and the media players on it are worse than the standard and to be honest Petrut should be giving this away and not charging for it. I'm a computer engineer and when and if I can be arsed I will look at what can be done to improve the standard interface, thought I would try the Wince patch to see if it would save me a job but it doesn't

I think the only beneficial if you also have the wifi or 3g patch with it too to allow internet access / live traffic access for primo

Ive held off getting the patch for now and dont feel a loss. How did you install the amped aeriel ? I wasnt sure where to get a power for mine, so did the standard one and to be honest freeview is fine when stationary most of the time. Does your reception work when driving too ?
mrwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #424
mrwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedly View Post
My time in my unit - enco has been acting weird. First it would move forward then normal time. So I would fix it once a week. Today it decide to give me some random date and time not even 2012. Looks like it keeps reseting itself . I think I read here or in another thread that there was like a battery inside the unit for the time. I decide to open up my unit and haven't found it. Anyone knows where it is? I will upload pics of my uploaded unit.

No idea where the battery is, it may need charging up though through use. My box had lithium battery on the outside and declared on the shipping papers which is why i mentioned i thought there a battery. Mine was a bit funny the first few weeks then settled down after a few long journeys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedly View Post
Also my radio screen is like weird, I have to manually pause everything or mute everything by pressing the buttons and not the screen as a -touch-screen.

What buttons are you trying to press. Mute for the radio is easier on the buttons than the screen, being you have to press the volume line at the bottom. Are you able to press them with the stylus ? Does it work on other screens ?
Old 08-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #425
boingboing46

My Ride: E39 523i 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwhite View Post
I think the only beneficial if you also have the wifi or 3g patch with it too to allow internet access / live traffic access for primo

Ive held off getting the patch for now and dont feel a loss. How did you install the amped aeriel ? I wasnt sure where to get a power for mine, so did the standard one and to be honest freeview is fine when stationary most of the time. Does your reception work when driving too ?

Yeah the patch is not worth the money in my opinion, it should be easy enough to get Internet access, I will look at this when I feel the need. Had a mess around with wolfncu stuff on the sat nav side, the same as Petruts iPhone thing but is free.

The aerial that came with the unit did not work grea for me, the powered ones are loads better and do work whilst driving, not that I watch TV on the move. Figured out today the unit has digital Tv and Radio and how to switch between the two which works well. Got the powered aerials on the back window each side and run the cable along the end of roof lining which hides the cable nicely and is very easy to run.
boingboing46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #426
Wickedly

Quote:
No idea where the battery is, it may need charging up though through use. My box had lithium battery on the outside and declared on the shipping papers which is why i mentioned i thought there a battery. Mine was a bit funny the first few weeks then settled down after a few long journeys.

What buttons are you trying to press. Mute for the radio is easier on the buttons than the screen, being you have to press the volume line at the bottom. Are you able to press them with the stylus ? Does it work on other screens ?
sorry Had my unite out of my car for 2 days since I took it apart. I will be putting it back today in the car. the issue was that for example I would go to the radio part and nothing will work on the touchscreen other then the volume and mute. If i press any other radio station it wouldnt change. Then If i went back and press like bluetooth or ipod , the radio will keep playing instead of those 2. I had to go back to the radio and press the "MODE" button on the unit to switch between modes till I get either to ipod or bluetooth and then it will work. Therefore, something seem to be wrong with the touchscreen side. when I open the unit, I notice there were some tapes between some cables and the tape seem to have worn out it's strength and it was not putting the cables and what it was trying to touch together. Change the tape and I will try it today. hopefully that is the problem and is fixed. I also contact jolly , she email me asking me for details, since then she hasn't answer. This was Monday.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #427
mrwhite

Quote:
Yeah the patch is not worth the money in my opinion, it should be easy enough to get Internet access, I will look at this when I feel the need. Had a mess around with wolfncu stuff on the sat nav side, the same as Petruts iPhone thing but is free.

The aerial that came with the unit did not work grea for me, the powered ones are loads better and do work whilst driving, not that I watch TV on the move. Figured out today the unit has digital Tv and Radio and how to switch between the two which works well. Got the powered aerials on the back window each side and run the cable along the end of roof lining which hides the cable nicely and is very easy to run.
good stuff on the aeriel. not sure i fancy running cable length of again after ago with the rear camera cable in my car .

Please tell me how you switch to digital radio.
i asked jolly but she said it didnt support digital radio but when you scan the freeview channels i could see them listed just couldnt work a way to select them from the channel list

Last edited by mrwhite; 08-08-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #428
Wickedly

I fixed my problem. I'm not sure if it was the tape that I re-tape inside the unit or it just needed to be re-install. Maybe it wanted a 2 day vacation as It got.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #429
boingboing46

Quote:
good stuff on the aeriel. not sure i fancy running cable length of again after ago with the rear camera cable in my car .

Please tell me how you switch to digital radio.
i asked jolly but she said it didnt support digital radio but when you scan the freeview channels i could see them listed just couldnt work a way to select them from the channel list
I saw on another fourmn that Jolly had said it was not possible.

You can only switch from the remote control that came with the unit. Go into the tv as normal and press the PBC button on the remote and this will go into Radio mode, press it again to go back to TV. Also if you press the ODC button twice this will show you your signal strength and quality.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #430
mrwhite

Quote:
I saw on another fourmn that Jolly had said it was not possible.

You can only switch from the remote control that came with the unit. Go into the tv as normal and press the PBC button on the remote and this will go into Radio mode, press it again to go back to TV. Also if you press the ODC button twice this will show you your signal strength and quality.
that may have been me on the other forum too

cheers ill give it a try
havent used the remote at all so will stick some batteries in and have a look
Old 08-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #431
Dannyboy223

My Ride: 2002 325ci
Hi guys, I have a question.

Before my enco unit, I was running one 10" sub to my stock radio, and tapped into the back speaker with this:
http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=28
and it would run my sub fine.
So when I got my enco, I could adjust the subwoofer but you had to adjust the bass in all speakers. so today, I took out the pac line out converter above, and simply ran rcas into my enco so I can adjust the subwoofer alone.

My question is now I have no use for this line out converter, and ive been reading of people putting them behind the radio to bring the volume down. Would this pac sni-35 work for that? If so, how is it done?

Thanks in advance.

P.s. The line out converter has 6 wires, 2 brown, a white/black, a white, a grey/black, and grey

Last edited by Dannyboy223; 08-10-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Dannyboy223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:14 AM   #432
boingboing46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy223 View Post
Hi guys, I have a question.

Before my enco unit, I was running one 10" sub to my stock radio, and tapped into the back speaker with this:
http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=28
and it would run my sub fine.
So when I got my enco, I could adjust the subwoofer but you had to adjust the bass in all speakers. so today, I took out the pac line out converter above, and simply ran rcas into my enco so I can adjust the subwoofer alone.

My question is now I have no use for this line out converter, and ive been reading of people putting them behind the radio to bring the volume down. Would this pac sni-35 work for that? If so, how is it done?

Thanks in advance.

P.s. The line out converter has 6 wires, 2 brown, a white/black, a white, a grey/black, and grey
I take it that you have the volume problem then where number 1 sounds like number 10? If not then the filter is not required

I to have a sub but I only have an amp to the sub and the normal speakers are just powered from the Enco so no line filter is required as I have no volume issue.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #433
Dannyboy223

I mean, its not a problem, I just thought it would fix the high volume on radio mode
Old 08-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #434
soupnutz

My Ride: 01 330i, 98 Gt Stang
I've been following this and the other 65+ page enco thread for a while and have read a large range of opinions on these things. Whats the general consencus, are these units worth it and whats the best place to buy? I know you can go through szenco, but I've read about people having issues if there is a problem, so I was thinking about spending the extra money and getting from ebay so I have the protection of paypal and my credit card company if the thing arrives DOA or something.

Also have a question about the specs. Right now I have the HK system which this would be hooked up with. Eventually all of the stock stuff will be gutted. Looks like there are two sets of rca's coming out of the back for hooking up amps. Whats the voltage on them? I havent been able to find out anywhere. Last question is, is there a video out? Could I use this as a source to run headrest monitors?
soupnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #435
Dannyboy223

okay i think its great, the only problem is when it starts up it goes to a different source. but, it does go in order so if you are listening to radio when you turn your car off, next time it starts it will go one to the left, which is disc, then next time sd, and so on a so forth. if you would swipe to bluetooth mode right when you turn your car off, it will start up to radio every time. im not sure about voltage in the rcas, but i do know it has video out for headrest monitors as well as video in for reverse camera.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #436
haurelio

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
i think the unit is worth every penny. the only few flaws are the one danny pointed out ( not a big ssue for me), other than that the unit its great. I bought mine from ebay for the same reason, I even bought an extra warranty just in case.

the unit does have rca for an external amps, and there are 2 video input rca and 1 for a reverse camera.

Last edited by haurelio; 08-11-2012 at 03:29 PM.
haurelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #437
Mic Diesel

My Ride: 325 xi
i finalllllllllly installed my headunit after months of being stuck with a faulty unit and waiting for a new one...

do i need to install anything to run the navigation? also why wont it let me go through my folders on my mp3 cd when driving?

can i get a way to allow videos to be watched while driving?
Mic Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #438
E46iT

My Ride: 2004 325i Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic Diesel View Post
i finalllllllllly installed my headunit after months of being stuck with a faulty unit and waiting for a new one...

do i need to install anything to run the navigation? also why wont it let me go through my folders on my mp3 cd when driving?

can i get a way to allow videos to be watched while driving?
you need to get the igo primo 2.0 into a micro sd cards with maps to run the navagation. on nav menu point to the sc card primo.exe to start nav.

you can watch movies while driving nothing needs to be done to enable this.

i have The Hire Dvd playing from time to time when i need driving tips.... lol
Old 08-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #439
Mic Diesel

My Ride: 325 xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46iT View Post
you need to get the igo primo 2.0 into a micro sd cards with maps to run the navagation. on nav menu point to the sc card primo.exe to start nav.

you can watch movies while driving nothing needs to be done to enable this.

i have The Hire Dvd playing from time to time when i need driving tips.... lol
word got the primo now i just need an micro sd card big enough for this ****... i leave it in the navi at all times right?

also ill be able to watch videos while driving with the primo in? bc right now it wont even let me look through my songs
Mic Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #440
haurelio

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
Quote:
word got the primo now i just need an micro sd card big enough for this ****... i leave it in the navi at all times right?

also ill be able to watch videos while driving with the primo in? bc right now it wont even let me look through my songs
get a 4GB minimum, keep the sd card inside the unit at all times. and yes the video does work while using the navigation.
haurelio is offline   Reply With Quote