E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 07:44 AM   #501
josephtillman11

My Ride: 04 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by breiwa1 View Post
The best way to deal with the random boot is the power down the unit before you turn your car off.
Oh okay! Thanks for the tip! It's bee 3 days since my inquiry to Jolly. Still waiting on that reply...
josephtillman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:06 PM   #502
Wgn_Drgn

My Ride: E46 325xiT 5MT
My thoughts on the ENCO...

So, I have this unit, and I'd like to chip in my two cents.

I bought this head unit in November from Szenco directly from Charles. Prior to paying, communication was EXCELLENT (minus the language barrier). I paid through paypal and paid a small fee to use it. Shipping was a bit of a pain... it took three weeks to get here despite the company saying they ship immediately. My unit didn't ship until two weeks later, but came promptly after that.

Installation was a breeze for the most part. I used a metal pry tool (blasphemy) with no issues. I watched a BSW video on youtube for the stepsThe radio antenna was too big and only fits after you smoosh it a bit. A standard USB connector DOES NOT FIT, and I ended up breaking the female USB port in the back. It sucked because I had the center console USB mod all done up, but I thought I could get by without using a right-angle USB connector. My advice: Get the right angle... it's tight enough in there as it is. There was another issue that I came across with the sound fading in and out due to really poor fitting connectors. I remedied it and describe it below. I also did not opt for the HVAC relocation kit. As other members have described, the HVAC will sit snuggly below, but with a small gap. Honestly, this doesn't bug me. If my vehicle were newer and nicer, I'd probably do it though.

Anyway... there are lots of people who have discussed the pluses to death so I'll keep it short:

Good stuff:
Great sound quality, price, excellent Nav (I use iGo Primo instead of the stock garbage), decent looking screen and colour scheme, looks great

The bad and the Issues:
1) Connectors - So, my sound was crackling at any speed. It turns out the harness that adapts the ENCO unit to the stock harness did not fit properly. It had all of the right connectors in the right spots, but the holes were too big so that the pins was just floating around inside the holes, causing the sound to be hit and miss whenever I went over a bump or crack. I fixed it by taking some needle nose pliers and expanded the clamshell-shaped pins. The pins thus were bigger, fit more snuggley, and have not caused be a problem. I emailed Charles about this but no reply.
2) Too loud - yep I have the too-loud problem on my HK system. It doesn't really bother me too much. My CD, USB, and SD slots have normal volume, but my radio is hella loud. I just have to remember to turn it out. I haven't played around with my stock HK amp yet but that's definitely a possibility. I'll also invest in a LOC some time when it becomes too irritating.
3) The AM radio only goes in increments of 9! This is VERY annoying as I listen to 680 news a lot (Toronto new station), but can only tune in to 675 or 684 haha. I live a half hour away so having a strong signal is a must. I emailed Charles about this but no reply.
4) Takes forever to load a class 10 USB stick
5) Random Boot! This is the most annoying part of the unit. I have scoured the internet and have come up with a bunch of ideas to fix this, but with no confirmed evidence. One poster from Eonon (identical unit) suggested unplugging the unit, and plugging it back in BEFORE plugging the CANBUS in. This was confirmed to work by one person and confirmed not to by another. There is also talk of replacing it with a new CAN BUS unit from Eonon which apparently fixes the problem. ANother solution is to disconnect the CANBUS all together and put up with no steering mounted controls. I have not come across a software fix for this yet. I'll consider a new CANBUS from Eonon in the near future. I don't feel like taking my dash apart again (already had to to fix GPS Antenna), but perhaps somebody else can try these out. Turning the unit off before shutting the car down, as breiwa1 suggested, does work, but I found it also caused all sorts of other Gremlins, such as causing the time to change erratically.
6) The unit tends to reset itself from time to time (happened twice last week). Basically, it goes to stock... stock sound, weird time/date, etc etc. I can't figure out why it does this but is annoying.
7) CANBUS tends to go wonky every now and then and the steering wheel controls will not work. It's happened to me maybe three times since I've owned the unit. It just requires a system reset.
8) Bluetooth microphone is crap at highway speeds (people complain on the other end...)
9) The unit seems to time travel... the time speeds up about five minutes per week. It is not gradual, but moreso just changes suddenly.

Overall, this unit is a huge pile of garbage, but does the basics well. My car is getting old and beginning to show it's age, so I don't regret having installed this unit for under $500 all in. What does annoy me is having NO support from the manufacturer, and having a unit that quite honestly is not ready for the market. Would I do it again? Probably... I'm completing my M.D. in a couple of months and money has been tight, especially for an old car. Furthermore, it does a good job of playing music, videos, and Nav. Would I buy one for my upcoming 328/335, even if all the bugs are "fixed" according to the manufacturer (Eonon..check out a similar thread at a british forum by googling it ) Absolutely not... this unit is a disgrace so far. I'd stick with Dynavin despite being that much more expensive, or do something like GROM.

Last edited by Wgn_Drgn; 04-23-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Wgn_Drgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:00 AM   #503
Degrees

My Ride: BMW 320i
I recently placed an order for a Eonon D5113 which I understand is more or less the same as the Enco B146. I'm really keen on the idea of having an OBC page similar to the Dynavin's pictured below. Has the modding community come any closer to making this happen? Where is the best place to learn more about hacking these units?

Last edited by Degrees; 05-23-2013 at 02:01 AM.
Degrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:36 AM   #504
asdetail

My Ride: 2002 325ci coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degrees View Post
I recently placed an order for a Eonon D5113 which I understand is more or less the same as the Enco B146. I'm really keen on the idea of having an OBC page similar to the Dynavin's pictured below. Has the modding community come any closer to making this happen? Where is the best place to learn more about hacking these units?

would require the unit firmware to be modded,not likely to happen.
asdetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:36 PM   #505
bcw448

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323ci coupe
I have an Eonon D5113U for a week, and it works good other than the known issues, like starting with random function/screen and loud radio.

Now I purchased a 4 channel Socoshe LOC unit and need some advices on installation.

My ride has HK system.

Firstly, I understand that after installing this LOC, most likely it will fix the loud radio problem, but how about the other functions like DVD, SD/USB, will the LOC cause these functions output be too low?

Secondly, where is the best place to install this LOC, should I install it inline after the head unit inside the dash or at the back truck where the OEM amp is?

Thanks.
bcw448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #506
shahbaz99

My Ride: Clean 330ci
Just wanted to notify everyone that there is a new version of this unit that just came out. It looks very promising! Have a look at my thread and keep an eye out for my formal review once I get her up and running.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=990340

Last edited by shahbaz99; 06-03-2013 at 10:35 AM.
shahbaz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:08 AM   #507
Degrees

Is there any way of connecting my pre existing external mic in the ceiling to use on calls rather than the internal mic of this unit? Can anything be done about the ugly SD card interface?
Old 07-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #508
soul rebel

My Ride: 330ci
I have a couple of questions after my install... How do you setup steering wheel controls? When i push the test button it just says A:255 B:255 anyone know about that? Also has anyone noticed when you choose an EQ setting it doesnt stay after you power off the unit or shut off your car?
Old 07-30-2013, 05:08 AM   #509
Degrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul rebel View Post
I have a couple of questions after my install... How do you setup steering wheel controls? When i push the test button it just says A:255 B:255 anyone know about that? Also has anyone noticed when you choose an EQ setting it doesnt stay after you power off the unit or shut off your car?
I have the same problem. Rather than choosing a preset from the settings menu, just hit your volume button repetitively and you can cycle through bass and treble amongst other things. It will remember whatever you set in there.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:56 PM   #510
soul rebel

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degrees View Post
I have the same problem. Rather than choosing a preset from the settings menu, just hit your volume button repetitively and you can cycle through bass and treble amongst other things. It will remember whatever you set in there.
Thanks i will try that.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:06 AM   #511
E46iT

My Ride: 2004 325i Touring
is there a new firmware for this HU or do i have to buy GM5150???