E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #161
BigDRick323
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2000 323i
I think we're looking at a Troll here. OP never responded. This is like those cartoons where the one guy starts the fight and everyone is fighting and he crawls out the door as everyone is beating the **** out of each other.

-1983 Grey 528e (Given to Charity) -1995 Champagne Toyota 4Runner (Friend Totaled) -2000 Black 323i (From DD to Project Car) -2011 Black Toyota Prius III (DD)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/780058
BigDRick323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #162
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDRick323 View Post
I think we're looking at a Troll here. OP never responded. This is like those cartoons where the one guy starts the fight and everyone is fighting and he crawls out the door as everyone is beating the **** out of each other.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #163
AlpinTXiX

My Ride: 03 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelgawel View Post
OP dont hesitate to use regular and save yourself $$$$.
People like ^^Alpin strongly believe their car is a Supercar that requires only the best without actually proving with legitimate examples they need it.

Its like talking to mac owners and trying to explain to them that macs DO get viruses. They wont believe it even if examples are shown.
It will run normally without long term effects on regular.. Otherwise BMW wouldnt state minumum octaine 87 in the manual and the gas flap.

If you like the placebo effect then by all means use the premium. Id rather keep a $20 in my pocket every time i fill up.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App

Do they not have sarcasm is Canuckistan?
Old 04-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #164
3 3 0 C i

My Ride: 528xi
This thread did raise good thoughts though.

Like maybe we need a dress code for the e46 fanatics. I guess the fact that it's a BMW forum isn't enough to keep out the riff raff.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #165
Mango

lol... a tank of PREMIUM does not cost $20 extra. Wake up people. It's $3.00 at MOST

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #166
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
lol... a tank of PREMIUM does not cost $20 extra. Wake up people. It's $3.00 at MOST
at 30 cents extra per gallon, a 16 gallon fill up will cost you almost $5 difference.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #167
Mango

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
at 30 cents extra per gallon, a 16 gallon fill up will cost you almost $5 difference.
I checked local gas prices here in socal using gasbuddy.com, premium on average costs an extra 13-18 cents over regular.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #168
ChicagoRY

My Ride: 2002 E46
Quote:
+1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpinTXiX View Post
Do they not have sarcasm is Canuckistan?

Quote:
Yes but you didn't ask him what size gas tank he has, did you? Did you?

Quote:
You know what I do with that $17 margin of error? I convert it to pennies, shove it in my gas tank, and when I floor it my exhaust shoots pennies at the riff raff behind me!

Last edited by ChicagoRY; 04-12-2012 at 01:30 PM.
ChicagoRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #169
pawelgawel

My Ride: 330CI
Quote:
You bunch of retards... I said 30 cent difference where i am PER Litre..... **** me.... If its a $3 difference where you are thats ****ing great... Enjoy that... Wish we had that option. But we dont... Its 25-30 cent difference between 87 and 91 and adds about $20 a tank.

****... Fill your car with race fuel and feel like your $7000 car is a $300k super car... Dont give a ****...

This topic has been settled... You either use premium or you dont.... Preference is on the owner.

Last edited by pawelgawel; 04-12-2012 at 01:43 PM.
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #170
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
I checked local gas prices here in socal using gasbuddy.com, premium on average costs an extra 13-18 cents over regular.
I know that you all think so over there, but southern California does not equal the United States.

National average shows premium at 27 cents above regular.
http://fuelgaugereport.aaa.com/?redi....com/index.asp

In DC yesterday I was seeing 30 cents above all over the place. In Virginia we see mid- to high- 20s above.

What's funny is that both crude and wholesale prices have come down since February, but retail has increased.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #171
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
You bunch of retards... I said 30 cent difference where i am PER Litre..... **** me.... If its a $3 difference where you are thats ****ing great... Enjoy that... Wish we had that option. But we dont... Its 25-30 cent difference between 87 and 91 and adds about $20 a tank.

****... Fill your car with race fuel and feel like your $7000 car is a $300k super car... Dont give a ****...

This topic has been settled... You either use premium or you dont.... Preference is on the owner.

this is why this thread when full retard. People that can't/don't read/comprehend start posting rants.

Last edited by NOVAbimmer; 04-12-2012 at 01:48 PM.
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #172
JohnIBarr01

My Ride: ZHP 6MT, Mk.6, Jeep
Quote:
In America, yes. In Canada, where it's sold by the litre (less than a gallon) and more expensive (per gallon) than it is in America, then it is at least $20-30 extra for a premium fillup.
Let me guess: This doesn't happen in Germany
JohnIBarr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #173
redneckrice94

My Ride: 2000 323i
I only use Premium Unleaded. My mom just bought an X3 and I talked her into using premium as well

redneckrice94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #174
ChicagoRY

My Ride: 2002 E46
Quote:
What's funny is that both crude and wholesale prices have come down since February, but retail has increased.
Don't wave your "F big oil flag" quite yet, but:

Crude goes up: gas at the pump can jump immediately due to perceived supply/demand (people do perceive an immediate problem and will go and gas up that day, not everyone, but enough to feel it), gas future contracts, and a bunch of other whacky factors

Crude goes down: that affects stuff coming out of the ground today, that still has to be transported (by tanker, pipeline, truck, rail, etc.), refined, distributed, refined again, distributed again, then sold at the pump, so it takes weeks or months to feel the initial price drop where at every point in the system a savings is realized and passed along.

For example Chicago gets most of its crude from a pipeline that runs north from LA, and a small amount from ND. It then gets refined here (or hopefully in that dump Gary, IN). If gas falls in one of those places, it will fall here about a week later.

I worked in research & trading at a hedge fund for 5 years and can offer obscure meaningless insight into like 2-3 topics, max.

Last edited by ChicagoRY; 04-12-2012 at 01:57 PM.
ChicagoRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #175
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRY View Post
Don't wave your "F big oil flag" quite yet, but:

Crude goes up: gas at the pump can jump immediately due to perceived supply/demand, gas future contracts, and a bunch of other whacky factors

Crude goes down: that affects stuff coming out of the ground today, that still has to be transported (by tanker, pipeline, truck, rail, etc.), refined, distributed, refined again, distributed again, then sold at the pump, so it takes weeks or months to feel the initial price drop where at every point in the system a savings is realized.

For example Chicago gets most of its crude from a pipeline that runs north from LA, and a small amount from ND. If gas falls in one of those places, it will fall here about a week later.

I worked in research & trading at a hedge fund for 5 years and can offer obscure meaningless insight into like 2-3 topics, max.
Oh I understand completely that today's crude price dropping doesn't cause today's retail gasoline price to drop. The more interesting part is the wholesale drop and retail increase.

I just thought it was an interesting observation. What will be really funny will be if crude prices drop over a period of say, 6 months, and retail prices continue to jump.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:17 PM   #176
AlpinTXiX

Quote:

oh he mad Pictures, Images and Photos
Old 04-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #177
AlpinTXiX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRY View Post

Old 04-15-2012, 08:28 PM   #178
blksab65

My Ride: 1987 325 (i Swapped)
Is it safe to maybe add octaine to our cars? If so what would you add to do so. You can get more power/ better gas (if you drive like a old man) am i correct?
Old 04-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #179
Dieter's Girl

My Ride: 2004 330ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaltinsoy View Post
Hey everyone, i just bought my 330ci a few days ago. I always had japanese cars before. BMW seems like a different language to me nowadays. My question is it says on my fuel gauge Unleaded gas ... but anyone out there using premium at all?
Premium is the ONLY gas i will put in my '04 330ci vert!!!!!!!!!!
Dieter's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #180
shanneba

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by blksab65 View Post
Is it safe to maybe add octaine to our cars? If so what would you add to do so. You can get more power/ better gas (if you drive like a old man) am i correct?
I have seen reports that the ECU will adjust to higher octane, how much higher I have not seen supporting data for.

I have run 100 octane Sunoco GT260, I did notice an slight increase in the lead reading in that used oil analysis. Maybe the track day did run slightly more ignition timing?

If I was to add an octane booster, I would try the Torco product:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2AMIXA9LL5MBI

Torco booster octane boost chart for 93 octane:
http://torcoracefuel.net/2-docs/acce...r-ratio-93.pdf
Torco booster octane boost chart for 91 octane:
http://torcoracefuel.net/2-docs/acce...lend-chart.pdf

It should allow you to get to at least 107 Octane if you start with 93.
I may try it and take my car to the drag strip. I can use my laptop to record data there. I probably wouldn't try for more than 97 octane though.

We know the ECU from BMW is tuned for US 91 octane and will adjust down to 87........ if it will adjust down 4 octane, maybe it can also adjust to 95 (+4).

Last edited by shanneba; 04-15-2012 at 09:10 PM.
shanneba is offline   Reply With Quote