E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2002, 04:46 PM   #1
AndyXXL
mod bug resistant

My Ride: S4
Grinding sound

Hey guys, I keep hearing this soft grinding sound coming from the right side. It sounds like the brake pad is touching the rotor. Usually this happens when I'm going 20-40mph, and gets a little louder when I apply brakes. But most of the time it appears during normal driving, not braking.
Any suggestions? BTW, my car has 500 miles.
Thanks in advance.
AndyXXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-01-2002, 09:00 PM   #2
valerie
M-Tech Originator

My Ride: BMWs
really, if it sounds like its associated with the brakes and your car is under warranty IMHO the best thing to do is bring it to a dealer service dept. and they will cover it if something is wrong.

if you really step hard on the brakes from a moderate speed do they squeal? i had that and they had to replace my brakes/rotors.

valerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 11:02 PM   #3
AndyXXL
mod bug resistant

Quote:
Originally posted by valerie
really, if it sounds like its associated with the brakes and your car is under warranty IMHO the best thing to do is bring it to a dealer service dept. and they will cover it if something is wrong.

if you really step hard on the brakes from a moderate speed do they squeal? i had that and they had to replace my brakes/rotors.
No, they don't squeal. I try not to brake hard since the car is still in the break-in period.
Old 06-01-2002, 11:03 PM   #4
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
Break in period really only applies to limiting your acceleration, meaning that you should let off the gas. Breaking hard won't hurt ne thing...thats what their there for
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 11:39 PM   #5
wkay

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Re: Grinding sound

Maybe a pebble lodged under the pad?
wkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 01:13 AM   #6
valerie
M-Tech Originator

Quote:
Originally posted by N1985
Break in period really only applies to limiting your acceleration, meaning that you should let off the gas. Breaking hard won't hurt ne thing...thats what their there for
exactly what I was going to say in spite of the sound of it the break in only applies to engine break in, not brakes or other things

stomp on the brakes and test the ABS, it wont hurt anything and if it does squeal you can tell the service tech and it may point to a specific issue

Last edited by valerie; 06-02-2002 at 01:25 AM.
Old 06-02-2002, 12:21 PM   #7
BimmerSamster

My Ride: 04 M3
Send a message via AIM to BimmerSamster
err...NO..break in applies to ALL things

Break in period applies to all things that have to do with friction, mechanical moving parts. This applies to engine, transmission AND brakes.

Andy is right in breaking softly during breakin procedures to make the rotors and pads wear correctly...I believe one of the UUC guys posted about this awhile ago, AND i believe you guys should check out the manual too...in the chapter that reads "BREAK IN PROCEDURES"

but Andy is beyond the 300 miles for break in of brakes so he should be good at this point. (although when next the rotors and pads are replaced, I'd follow the 300 miles breakin procedures of brakes again...)I would still take it to dealer if I were you.
BimmerSamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 12:31 PM   #8
valerie
M-Tech Originator

Re: err...NO..break in applies to ALL things

Quote:
Originally posted by BimmerSamster
Break in period applies to all things that have to do with friction, mechanical moving parts. This applies to engine, transmission AND brakes.

Andy is right in breaking softly during breakin procedures to make the rotors and pads wear correctly...I believe one of the UUC guys posted about this awhile ago, AND i believe you guys should check out the manual too...in the chapter that reads "BREAK IN PROCEDURES"

but Andy is beyond the 300 miles for break in of brakes so he should be good at this point. (although when next the rotors and pads are replaced, I'd follow the 300 miles breakin procedures of brakes again...)I would still take it to dealer if I were you.
well, i assume that people consult the manual.

since you are driving in the real world though it stands to reason that it is unrealistic to drive around overly concerned about applying the brakes firmly. many will say that properly seating the brake pads (which requires some heavy braking) will do a better job of taking care of the brakes and rotors and make them last longer.

and i reiterate, i would take it to the dealer with something like this

Last edited by valerie; 06-02-2002 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-02-2002, 01:10 PM   #9
nel323ci

My Ride: aaaaaaaaaaaa
Send a message via AIM to nel323ci
Andy, I think I know what you are talking about. I just found some weird noise coming from my front right. Its not actual grinding but rather sounds like something is rubbing or something. It's hard to explain what it sounds like but I hear it around 15-25 and when I brake lightly. I am going to the dealership soon so hopefully they will fix it. Post it if you fix yours anytime soon please! I would like to know what it is.
Old 06-02-2002, 01:56 PM   #10
BMWxTREME

My Ride: '00 323i (step)
Send a message via MSN to BMWxTREME
I have the same problem. Dealer told me there was some rust building up on my rotors and this was what was causing the noise(I don't know if he did anything to solve the problem cuz it's still there). He then proceeded to tell me that I would need some new front brake pads too---which he says AREN'T under warranty so now I have to get new front brake pads after only 15k miles on the car.

* Hamann eyelids, roof spoiler, mirrors, competition rear wing, pedals, Racing Dynamics R35 front bumper, Alcantara shift, e-brake boots, engine start button, ECIS cai, H & R springs, Bilstein shocks, Breyton Inspiration rims, Sony PS 2, Phoenix Gold XS 2200, XS 4400 amps, 2 x 10 " JL Audio subwoofers, Clarion CDC655Tz cd changer, DPH7500z equalizer, VRZ 6671z monitor *

BMWxTREME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 03:16 PM   #11
AndyXXL
mod bug resistant

Thanks for all the replies.
Last night I was able to hear the sound even with the windows up. It's more of a rubbing noise, something like 'ksh ksh ksh'
Bringing a 2 weeks old car to a service department doesn't make me very happy. :sad:

On the other hand, I installed a BMW alarm myself last night, so I have to bring the car to the dealer anyway to get it activated.

Last edited by AndyXXL; 06-02-2002 at 03:21 PM.