E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 07:46 AM   #1
Hockeyman17

My Ride: 2005 E46 M3 SMG
Pairing mode button for my M3 not installed.

I'm looking to pair my phone with the Bluetooth setup on my car but it seems there is no button on my console to pair them together. I have a wiring harness underneath my cupholders, I'm assuming that's it. Any idea what this button costs or any other help would be appreciated thanks.
Hockeyman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:56 AM   #2
MightyY

My Ride: '05 M3, '08 A6
What year is your M3? My 2005 doesn't have a pairing button. I just had to set my phone to discover it with the car on.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:48 AM   #3
Hockeyman17

Mine is also an 05 but my phone doesn't pick up the signal from the car for some reason
Old 01-25-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
Superhiro

My Ride: 2006 330ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyY View Post
What year is your M3? My 2005 doesn't have a pairing button. I just had to set my phone to discover it with the car on.
Correct, I believe 05's and up no longer have the pairing button. Your car goes into search/discovery mode for the first minute or two it's on.

First off, make sure your phone is compatible, as not all phones are. I've also had issues with one of our bimmers not wanting to pair with an original iPhone. This was odd because it paired just fine with mine... the 3G and 3Gs work fine on both cars though.

Also, check your steering wheel, there's a button that looks like a person talking that is used for your hands-free functionality, in our X5, I believe I held that button down for 5 seconds or so to pair for the first time.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:29 AM   #5
Mstearnsy

My Ride: 2006 M3 Competition
The person talking is the voice command button, it doesn't deal with bluetooth.
IF you have Bluetooth on a 2005 (big if, don't assume you do), try this:
sit in the car with the key in the ignition but turned off. Open your phone's bluetooth menu and search for new devices. Twist your key 1 position (so the radio would come on). The phone will find the car now. Enter the passkey assigned to your car.
Mstearnsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:52 AM   #6
Superhiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstearnsy View Post
sit in the car with the key in the ignition but turned off. Open your phone's bluetooth menu and search for new devices. Twist your key 1 position (so the radio would come on). The phone will find the car now. Enter the passkey assigned to your car.
That voice command button controls several of the phone based commands. Also if you look at this PDF it shows that the voice command button was the same button used for pairing when there was a dedicated pairing button in earlier models. I don't have any documentation on a newer BT ULF but a friend of mine that works at Tischer walked me through the pairing process in our 05 X5 and if I remember correctly, pressing that voice command button is what put the car into pairing mode

http://www.carnationsoftware.com/car...lBluetooth.pdf

Last edited by Superhiro; 01-25-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Superhiro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:54 AM   #7
Superhiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstearnsy View Post
Very true, check in your trunk compartment to see if you have a BT ULF. That'll be a good way to find out what your passkey is too if you don't have it. It's usually on a sticker attached to the ULF.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:18 PM   #8
Hockeyman17

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm impressed with the feedback on this site. I will definately try these things when I get home
Old 01-25-2010, 12:21 PM   #9
jbcritch

My Ride: 2005 Steel Blue 325i
Easiest way to check for BT is to simply hit the R/T button (above the talking man button) when the car is running. It should say something like "no phone found" or "no phone paired" etc. if you have BT. If it does nothing, you dont have BT.
2005 325i SB/Grey - ret.
2007 550i Grey/Black
Mods: M5 mats, M5 spoiler, tint....for now.
jbcritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:35 PM   #10
cak323i
Modded ///Member

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
Hockeyman, just to be clear...you don't have BMW assist in your car, right?

If you do then you may or may not have bluetooth. The current gen TCU in BMW Assist vehicles do have bluetooth capability. My M3 has BMW Assist but the TCU that was in mine was too old for the integrated bluetooth capability so I just upgraded my TCU to the current gen and also installed a bluetooth antenna inside and now I have bluetooth...
2004 TiAg ///M l OEM CSL interior door panels l OEM CSL bootlid l Scorza CSL center console | Navigation | LCM s/w 4.5 triple blink | OEM black interior retrofit | BC Racing BR Coilovers l BMW Performance Carbon Fiber strut bar & Short Shift Kit l Gruppe M carbon kevlar CAI l BMW iPod Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l Status Gruppe one piece cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets
cak323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:15 PM   #11
dillard

My Ride: 2004 M3 Cabrio
Lots of correct information. I have an 04 that came with the TCU which is BMW Assist. Later models TCUs have BT integrated. If you don't have the right TCU, you will need to buy a ULF. There are 13 generations of ULFs. Try to get a later one. You will also need a BT antenea. These are cheap from the dealer. There are plenty of DIYs out there for the install but it's pretty straight forward for both the antenea and ULF module.

http://www.hiunlimited.com/bluetooth...toothstart.htm

Now here's MY TRICK. I didn't have a pairing button. But you don't need one.

Remove the housing of the 18 pin connector that the pairing button is supposed to plug into (it is tucked in under the center console). There is an indention that you push down with a thin screwdriver and the housing pops off.

Then locate pins 1 and 17. Again using a thin screwdriver, push down on the exposed metal to push the pins out of the housing. You do not need to puch the pin out through the holes but you could. With very little force with the screw driver and pulling slightly on the wire, the pin will come out of the housing.

Then you have your pairing button. The procedure is simple... hold the two pins together and count to 3 and then turn your ignition to the 1 position and count to three then release the pins. You should see BT pairing on your radio.

After successful pairing, I easily slid the pins back into the housing and stuffed it away.

No pairing button required.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:19 PM   #12
Mstearnsy

My Ride: 2006 M3 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhiro View Post
That voice command button controls several of the phone based commands. Also if you look at this PDF it shows that the voice command button was the same button used for pairing when there was a dedicated pairing button in earlier models. I don't have any documentation on a newer BT ULF but a friend of mine that works at Tischer walked me through the pairing process in our 05 X5 and if I remember correctly, pressing that voice command button is what put the car into pairing mode

http://www.carnationsoftware.com/car...lBluetooth.pdf
I've done a Bluetooth pair in a 2005 X5 4.4i with factory BT and the procedure is exactly as I described, key off, search for device, key on, passkey, done!
Mstearnsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:47 PM   #13
cak323i
Modded ///Member

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillard View Post
Lots of correct information. I have an 04 that came with the TCU which is BMW Assist. Later models TCUs have BT integrated. If you don't have the right TCU, you will need to buy a ULF. There are 13 generations of ULFs. Try to get a later one. You will also need a BT antenea. These are cheap from the dealer. There are plenty of DIYs out there for the install but it's pretty straight forward for both the antenea and ULF module.

http://www.hiunlimited.com/bluetooth...toothstart.htm

Now here's MY TRICK. I didn't have a pairing button. But you don't need one.

Remove the housing of the 18 pin connector that the pairing button is supposed to plug into (it is tucked in under the center console). There is an indention that you push down with a thin screwdriver and the housing pops off.

Then locate pins 1 and 17. Again using a thin screwdriver, push down on the exposed metal to push the pins out of the housing. You do not need to puch the pin out through the holes but you could. With very little force with the screw driver and pulling slightly on the wire, the pin will come out of the housing.

Then you have your pairing button. The procedure is simple... hold the two pins together and count to 3 and then turn your ignition to the 1 position and count to three then release the pins. You should see BT pairing on your radio.

After successful pairing, I easily slid the pins back into the housing and stuffed it away.

No pairing button required.
Not entirely correct.

A current gen TCU with integrated bluetooth as of May of 2009 was the 13th gen and I purchased this and a bluetooth antenna at my dealership for under $350 and had it installed and my car programmed for voice command as well. The only thing voice command will work with the TCU is for the bluetooth phone which I was ok with.

If you get the current gen ULF module (bluetooth only) then voice command will work with navi and phone. Anyway I just wanted to pass this along. The current gen TCU will work if your car is equipped with BMW Assist...
2004 TiAg ///M l OEM CSL interior door panels l OEM CSL bootlid l Scorza CSL center console | Navigation | LCM s/w 4.5 triple blink | OEM black interior retrofit | BC Racing BR Coilovers l BMW Performance Carbon Fiber strut bar & Short Shift Kit l Gruppe M carbon kevlar CAI l BMW iPod Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l Status Gruppe one piece cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets
cak323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:35 AM   #14
dillard

Hockeyman, Did you ever get paired?
Old 01-28-2010, 12:25 PM   #15
Hockeyman17

ThankS for the help guys. I insured my car last weekend when the weather was nice but with rain and snow in the forecast for the next month the car will stay in storage until march and I'll have it checked out then. I phoned the local BMW deadlership and it looks like I will have to have a new gen ulf installed.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:53 PM   #16
dillard

Don't buy a ULF from BMW. They'll charge you an arm and a leg. Find a use one on this fourm or Ebay.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:11 PM   #17
profM3

My Ride: 2005 M3 ZCP
If you have a 2005 E46 or newer car with BMW Assist then bluetooth is built into the Assist module. This started with model year 2005 cars. For 2004 cars, Assist was available but the bluetooth circuitry was non-functional. BMW even included a bluetooth passkey with some 2004 cars making the fact that bluetooth didn't work very confusing. If in a 2005 car you don't have Assist (which in the US is signaled by having the sharkfin on the roof) then you won't have bluetooth.

A TCU module is a module with BMW Assist. As noted later versions of the TCU module include bluetooth. In the first few years of TCUs, they were very expensive to buy for retrofitting purposes. Now they have come down in price significantly and you can buy a newer generation remanufactured TCU with Assist and bluetooth from Tischer for ~$350 (part number 84109195455).

A ULF module is a module that contains only bluetooth circuitry. It was originally designed to allow owners to add bluetooth functionality to their car by removing the Assist-only TCU module (model year 2004 cars) and replacing it with a ULF module. Early ULF modules were very buggy but later generations were OK (there were 13 generations). At first ULF modules were less expensive that TCU modules (about $500 vs $900-1000). Now with the drop in price of TCU modules, ULF modules are generally more expensive (still ~$500). ULF modules have become very hard to find. It may be that they are not being made anymore.

- ULF modules required a pairing button, TCU modules do not. TCU modules are in pairing mode for a few minutes after the car starts.
- Both ULF and TCU modules require a 4 digit pairing code to be entered on your phone to complete pairing.
- TCU and ULF modules contain voice recognition for phone dialing capabilities activated with the talking man button on the steering wheel.
- ULF modules also contain voice recognition commands for control of the OEM Nav system.
- ULF modules do not have BMW Assist functionality.
- If looking for a TCU module on the used market (ebay/Craigslist/forums) be aware that there are both CDMA (USA) and GSM (European) are ones being sold. Only the CDMA ones work in the US, even the bluetooth part. There are also newer MOST bus TCUs being sold from E92 (and other MOST bus cars). E46 cars are iBus based and require an iBus TCU.

If interested in bluetooth you should read this link:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...8&postcount=18
and this one:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=230898

Plus plenty of other links here and on M3forum.net you can find by searching.
2005 M3 Silbergrau Metallic on black; 6MT, ZCP, ZPP, ZCW, Nav, Dinan exhaust, two AR20 resonators in section 1, Autosolutions SSK, Fucy CSL diffuser, Intravee II, illuminated ZHP shift knob, stealth V1 install with ash tray remote, OEM first aid boxes under both seats, Ultimate pedals and more...

Last edited by profM3; 01-30-2010 at 01:25 PM.
profM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:21 PM   #18
Lude2S

My Ride: '05 M3,'99 Esprit TT
Hockeyman, I see you have an '05 M3. Before I would let the dealership go ahead and change out your TCU, pull the trunk covering back on the driver side and check to make sure your TCU doesn't have BT. I thought I didn't have bluetooth until I pulled my trunk apart and found out my TCU was BT ready and it also gave me the passkey I needed.

Another thing to note; I don't know if it was just a freak thing that happened to me, but on my previous '04 M3 I owned, the previous owner had swapped out the TCU (came factory with BMW Assist) for a BT ULF. I knew this when I bought the car and didn't think anything of it. Problem came when I imported it into Canada and wanted to have the DRL's (law here) turned on. Turns out, swapping in the ULF messed with the computer and wouldn't let the computer access any of the settings. I took it to 3 dealers in Canada and the US and they all told me that the only way I was going to be able to turn the DRL's on was to swap a TCU back in, make the changes, and then put the ULF back in. Nobody could explain why this was to me, everything worked in the car, including voice commands and BT, etc. In the end I just wired the fogs to come on all the time instead.

Just something to keep in mind, or maybe someone can shed some light on this issue.
Lude2S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:30 PM   #19
jbcritch

My Ride: 2005 Steel Blue 325i
I'm confused. Why dies everyone say to pull the panels in the trunk to see if you have BT? Just press the dang R/T button. It does nothing if you don't have BT.
2005 325i SB/Grey - ret.
2007 550i Grey/Black
Mods: M5 mats, M5 spoiler, tint....for now.
jbcritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:18 PM   #20
m3monkey

My Ride: 04 e46 m3 smg
ok,
i picked up on 04 vert w/ navi. been trying to find out if it has bluetooth. it doesnt have a talking man button on the center console, but has it on the steering wheel. I looked at the trunk and saw the box show on the pic. but it doesnt have any labels on it. So i dont even know what the passcode is if it has bluetooth.

Do I have bluetooth?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ulf.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	349035  
should i put the sticker on before i do tints or after i do the tints? also i have a paking sticker and it will expire in a year so i think i will put it on after the tints? anyone has any suggestions ?? thx
m3monkey is offline   Reply With Quote