E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Rear end vibration, when accelerating disappears

10K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  CharleMx5 
#1 ·
So basically just recently changed my driveshaft since it was causing a dramatic vibration.

I took the car back to my mechanic and he told me that the joint where the drive shaft connects to the diff is wearing out causing the vibration ?? It's a low vibration and when I accelerate it goes away ????

So I'm thinking how can it be any part of the diff as when I accelerate the vibration is gone ?

#3 ·
Sorry my bad, I meant the cv joint and diff, have different names in every country lol

That was my assumption straight away, the mechanic told me the centre support bearing is immac and he told me there is play from where the cv joint connects to the diff ?? However I don't know, it just doesn't sound right to me.

If there was anything related to the diff im pretty sure it wouldn't go away with accelerating, the mechanic told me its spinning allot faster under acc so it dosent vibrate ?it would get allot more dramatic under acceleration from my knowledge.

Called my main mechanic, he told me he's pretty certain it ha something to do with the guilty or centre bearing ?

#5 ·
I've seen some cases where the vibration is cause by the exhaust hitting on the "V" brace that goes in the bottom of the car before the exhaust... Also could be a CSB that is on its way out.. when the guibo is on its way out you dont get much vibration but horrible shifting feel. Might want to inspect under there carefully to see what the options are

#7 ·
Lol I'm just going to get another mechanic to check it out...

But have you guys ever heard that happening with the cv joint. ?? It's just not going through my mind!!

He said the vibration is being caused as there is play from where the joint connects to the diff (the right cv joint /axle shaft) ?

#11 ·
its the csb had the same exact problem found out the rubber around the bearing was ripped thats why when you take off or put load on the motor it make the driveshaft want to flap up and down just loosen the exhaust mounts and the 2 support braces on the x-pipe and let it hang and u can use a hammer to wedge the exhaust to make it hang lower and then remove heat shield 2 10mm and 2 8mm screws heat shield comes off and youll see the csb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.