E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #41
dslboomer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlatexxx View Post
Use BMW dealer oil! cheap and preventive maintenance on the long term...
Do you think BMW is in Oil making business?
Op is trying to fix the cold temperature (?) misfire problem.
Do you think BMW's magic oil is going to fix it?
dslboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #42
dslboomer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by too_desi View Post
Maybe i'l try techron, a fresh oil change (gonna try Mobil 1 0w40 instead of castrol 0 w30).... and see what happens
What are you trying to prove or disprove with your experiments?
Your indy already swapped the injectors, so that rules out fuel related issue.
Castrol 0W30 is actually close to 0W40 in viscousity. What is the point?

Try 20W60 for a short period to see if that makes the difference. It will bleed slower than 0W40 if lifter had a bleeding problem.

Last edited by dslboomer; 04-13-2012 at 04:00 PM.
dslboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #43
too_desi

My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dslboomer View Post
What are you trying to prove or disprove with your experiments?
Your indy already swapped the injectors, so that rules out fuel related issue.
Castrol 0W30 is actually close to 0W40 in viscousity. What is the point?

Try 20W60 for a short period to see if that makes the difference. It will bleed slower than 0W40 if lifter had a bleeding problem.
The car is up for an oil change... saw the mobil 1 on sale, so picked up a case.. BMw oil is more expensive here....

I'm just trying cheap things out to see if it makes a difference at all... if nothing else, it wont do any harm.... try these things before i start looking into the lifters.

As for the time related possibility you are referring to, how long do you think would it take if a lifter had a bleeding problem to completely lose all the oil? 6 hours? 7 hours?

It seems to be engine temperature related in my experience.... If the temp gauge is not to the end of the blue region or beyond it, the car will idle rough and ultimately misfire... I have tried a few things like letting it idle out on a cold start and once the car starts shaking/ rough idle , i turn it off, start it back up and 7 times out of 10, it wont misfire again....

Last edited by too_desi; 04-13-2012 at 05:08 PM.
too_desi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #44
tarahumara

My Ride: 330ci auto
Quote:
The car is up for an oil change... saw the mobil 1 on sale, so picked up a case.. BMw oil is more expensive here....

I'm just trying cheap things out to see if it makes a difference at all... if nothing else, it wont do any harm.... try these things before i start looking into the lifters.

As for the time related possibility you are referring to, how long do you think would it take if a lifter had a bleeding problem to completely lose all the oil? 6 hours? 7 hours?

It seems to be engine temperature related in my experience.... If the temp gauge is not to the end of the blue region or beyond it, the car will idle rough and ultimately misfire... I have tried a few things like letting it idle out on a cold start and once the car starts shaking/ rough idle , i turn it off, start it back up and 7 times out of 10, it wont misfire again....
there is one more option to avoid misfires during cold startups. just start to drive as soon as you start the engine. if you stop for a red light or traffic, put it into neutral and rev it and then continue to drive. after the gauge passes blue region you will be fine. that is what i do every morning.
tarahumara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:33 AM   #45
divad31

My Ride: e46 330xi touring
Then.....the lifters?..i in the same problem

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Bimmer App
divad31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:52 AM   #46
shanekhalifa99

My Ride: e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnibarr01 View Post
doubt that would cause a misfire on just one cylinder.
it did on mine..just saying
Old 04-29-2012, 02:45 AM   #47
divad31

Inyector leaking?
Old 04-29-2012, 06:58 AM   #48
Gus330vrum

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by dslboomer View Post
Do you think BMW is in Oil making business?
Op is trying to fix the cold temperature (?) misfire problem.
Do you think BMW's magic oil is going to fix it?
no! But I have used castrol,mobil and. BMW oil is where my
Engine feels healthy ... BMW is involved in oil business with all that money but maybe you not aware of it.. It won't fix the problem but being cheap on oil tells me a lot about the owner .. Because after all oil is what runs engine.
Gus330vrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #49
too_desi

updates!

To revive a dead thread, got INPA cable today and finally got it running....

Got 2 errors when the car misfired:

screenshots attached

1. burning fail cylinder 1 (is this the same as misfire?)

2. Vanos solenoid valve Intake

Is the vanos code because of vanos seals or the solenoid itself?

I'm going to check again tomorrow to make sure i get the same codes.

Experts please weigh in. Im new to INPA so still dont understand the codes correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-05-03 at 7.51.41 PM.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	449988   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-05-03 at 7.51.58 PM.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	449989  
Old 05-03-2012, 10:49 PM   #50
Gus330vrum

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
To revive a dead thread, got INPA cable today and finally got it running....

Got 2 errors when the car misfired:

screenshots attached

1. burning fail cylinder 1 (is this the same as misfire?)

2. Vanos solenoid valve Intake

Is the vanos code because of vanos seals or the solenoid itself?

I'm going to check again tomorrow to make sure i get the same codes.

Experts please weigh in. Im new to INPA so still dont understand the codes correctly.

I would think is the VANOS (Replacing them if not replaced only can HELP THE ENGINE HEALTH) or what the code says "VANOS SOLENOID VALVE INTAKE"

Cyl. 1 misfire is right behind vanos anyways. makes sense to me!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01172.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	449990  
Gus330vrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:04 AM   #51
too_desi

The Vanos code might be a stored code from a some weeks ago when i unplugged the connecter to the solenoid to see if it would make any difference (it didnt) and Engine= shutoff too...

anyone can shed a bit more light on the misfire code?

Misfire CARB_A
Misfire CARB_B1

What about other values in the code (MAF_BOL, MAF_TOL, TCO etc) ?
Old 05-04-2012, 11:44 AM   #52
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Forget the VANOS code, as you mentioned, you may have forced that one. If you look at the Error Frequency for the VANOS it only happened 1 time.

Not sure what you have done to the car so far, you may want to try and swap injectors if you have done most other things.

Also a compression and cylinder leakage test to rule out a mechanical issue.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #53
albarran9

My Ride: E46, E53, E90
I used to have cold morning misfires and rough Idle along with oil consumption (about 1/4 liter every week). Took my car to my indi for a compression test. He did several tests because my misfires were intermittent some times never even showed a CEL. He came to the conclusion that it had to be a faulty fuel injector that was going out. I have new coild, spark plugs and boots, VCG, DISA , CCV (cold climate version), ICV, MAF, upper and lower intake boots, cam sensors (all 3), fuel filter, fuel pump, SAP and check valve hoses, O2 sensors, and new VANOS rebuild kit from Besian. Even after changing these thing I would still get cold morning rough Idle and rough idle. every now and then It would start up fine though. I ran some fuel injector cleaner before taking it to my indi, thinking that it was my piston rings or valves that was the problem. The tests came back with all cylinders at zero, meaning that the mixture and compression want too high or too low, just right. My car is at 110K and I've slowly been DIY'ing and doing preventative maintenance so I decided to change all 6 injectors since they are pretty easy to change and found some cheap at bmaparts.com. It's been one week since I've changed them and so far no rough idle or misfires and I haven't had to add any oil either. I'm glad that it has sopped because I was starting to get very frustrated. I never saw any black smoke or oil leaks at anytime. I was afraid that the valves or rings were letting oil into the cylinder.
albarran9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #54
too_desi

Quote:
Originally Posted by albarran9 View Post
I used to have cold morning misfires and rough Idle along with oil consumption (about 1/4 liter every week). Took my car to my indi for a compression test. He did several tests because my misfires were intermittent some times never even showed a CEL. He came to the conclusion that it had to be a faulty fuel injector that was going out. I have new coild, spark plugs and boots, VCG, DISA , CCV (cold climate version), ICV, MAF, upper and lower intake boots, cam sensors (all 3), fuel filter, fuel pump, SAP and check valve hoses, O2 sensors, and new VANOS rebuild kit from Besian. Even after changing these thing I would still get cold morning rough Idle and rough idle. every now and then It would start up fine though. I ran some fuel injector cleaner before taking it to my indi, thinking that it was my piston rings or valves that was the problem. The tests came back with all cylinders at zero, meaning that the mixture and compression want too high or too low, just right. My car is at 110K and I've slowly been DIY'ing and doing preventative maintenance so I decided to change all 6 injectors since they are pretty easy to change and found some cheap at bmaparts.com. It's been one week since I've changed them and so far no rough idle or misfires and I haven't had to add any oil either. I'm glad that it has sopped because I was starting to get very frustrated. I never saw any black smoke or oil leaks at anytime. I was afraid that the valves or rings were letting oil into the cylinder.
The injectors were swapped but the misfire stayed on cylinder 1, so i doubt its the injectors.

Misifre apart, the car shakes like a M$%%# F%%^&r during warm up....

I'm really starting to believe its the hydraulic lifters... anybody had any successful with engine treatments? I recently used a can of the lubro-moly engine flush before an oil change... no change in car.. maybe need to do a couple
Old 05-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #55
albarran9

My Ride: E46, E53, E90
Have you checked your spark plug in cyl 1 for cracks? I had a bad plug that had a crack on the porcelain when I changed mine and it rough idled real bad. I was really stumped when that happened because the last thing I thought would be the problem was the plug because it was new. I'd check the plug if I was you and swap it with a different one. Wont cost you anything and helps trouble shoot. You may want to look up the DIY for cleaning your SAP with Seafoam and replacing the hoses if they are bad. I had rough Idle on cold starts before my injectors went out. I would only get them on cold starts when the SAP would kick on for about the first min or two. Got a new SAP hose and Check valve hose along with cleaning it with seafood and fixed it.
albarran9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #56
too_desi

Quote:
Have you checked your spark plug in cyl 1 for cracks? I had a bad plug that had a crack on the porcelain when I changed mine and it rough idled real bad. I was really stumped when that happened because the last thing I thought would be the problem was the plug because it was new. I'd check the plug if I was you and swap it with a different one. Wont cost you anything and helps trouble shoot. You may want to look up the DIY for cleaning your SAP with Seafoam and replacing the hoses if they are bad. I had rough Idle on cold starts before my injectors went out. I would only get them on cold starts when the SAP would kick on for about the first min or two. Got a new SAP hose and Check valve hose along with cleaning it with seafood and fixed it.
Any particular kind of seafood? I got a bag of prawns... lol

Just kidding..

I'm going to check the plugs and coil (again) today... although i would think a bad plug/coil would cause issues all the time...

Ive seen people seafoaming the SAP.... might be worth looking into

Cheers
Old 05-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #57
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
Good luck OP and sorry for this problem.

I have nothing to add but a question : are you the original owner of this vehicle?
Old 05-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #58
too_desi

Second Owner.. The original owner was a senior citizen who i assume barely drove it since the car only had about 64 k on it for a 7 year old.

anyways, plug and coil does not seem to be the issue here.. i swapped both with cylinder 2 and the misfire stayed at cylinder 1

I'm going to do the vanos seals next..

Might try switching the computer with a different one to see if that is the issue, as suspected by the indi that did tests on the car (although i highly doubt it)..

I nothing works, it'll go to another indi for a second opinion
Old 05-09-2012, 09:51 AM   #59
tarahumara

My Ride: 330ci auto
that is my car. i have this problem since i bought it. i can live with it. that is why i won't change the lifters. but as i told you don't replace every single part to fix this problem.

bmw 2001 e46 330ci misfire during cold start:

bmw 2001 e46 330ci after misfire during cold start

Last edited by tarahumara; 05-09-2012 at 09:58 AM.
tarahumara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:40 AM   #60
divad31

Quote:
Injector new oem?....remanufactured?.....i see to buy....but they dont send to europe (spain)...where do you buy injector soo good of price?...thanks..

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Bimmer App

Tags
misfires