E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #1
nogoer

My Ride: 02 330XI
XI front axel boot repair, in car?

I searched but couldn't seem to find the right combination of keywords to find posts on doing this repair whith the axel in the car. That could be because its not the best thing or i just lack the right words to find it.

Did my brakes and found the driver side outer boot was ripped and some grease had started coming out. The axle shows no signs of wear, no noises or any other symptoms of failure. The inner boot is fine as well and shows no signs of cracks or wear. I'd like to just repair the boot and repack the joint. I replaced the other side last summer and that was one endless trail of failing parts and i DO NOT want to get into that again. This side appears fine the other was madly clicking and i had no choice but to replace the axle.

I would like to be able to just drop the hub, separate the outer joint, repack it, slip the new boot on the other side and then reassemble. Has that ever been done? I also read a few guys have cut the boot and glued it back together, but im a little leary about that lasting more than a few weeks or months.
nogoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
jgold47

My Ride: 2004 X5 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogoer View Post
I searched but couldn't seem to find the right combination of keywords to find posts on doing this repair whith the axel in the car. That could be because its not the best thing or i just lack the right words to find it.

Did my brakes and found the driver side outer boot was ripped and some grease had started coming out. The axle shows no signs of wear, no noises or any other symptoms of failure. The inner boot is fine as well and shows no signs of cracks or wear. I'd like to just repair the boot and repack the joint. I replaced the other side last summer and that was one endless trail of failing parts and i DO NOT want to get into that again. This side appears fine the other was madly clicking and i had no choice but to replace the axle.

I would like to be able to just drop the hub, separate the outer joint, repack it, slip the new boot on the other side and then reassemble. Has that ever been done? I also read a few guys have cut the boot and glued it back together, but im a little leary about that lasting more than a few weeks or months.

I think the problem is that by the time you get to that point, your only a couple of steps away from replacing the entire axle.

my about me link
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=791566

jgold47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #3
mxchris727

My Ride: Top down!, V8
Send a message via ICQ to mxchris727 Send a message via AIM to mxchris727 Send a message via MSN to mxchris727
You will need a tool like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-614-030...d_sim_sbs_hi_1

I have a computer set up with DIS, TIS, SSS Progman, INPA, NCS Expert, WinKFP, Tool32 and PASoft with an EDIABAS interface; PM me if you want to stop by and code your car.
ISTA/D and /P with an iCOMM interface coming soon...
mxchris727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
nogoer

Thanks guys, looks like im just going to go the cut and re-glue route until i start hearing clicking or something.

Anyone have any experience with doing this?
Old 04-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #5
jgold47

I had planned on doing that with mine, although they were way more gone than it sounds like yours were. I had a lube gun to shoot grease back into the CV, then was going to epoxy the rip shut. Use some hose clamps, and you would have had a certified ghetto repair. Unfortunately, one of my axles gave out before I could do this and I had to replace it. I got about 18 months or so out of the axle after it ripped, but I am glad I replaced it, I had a lot of 'unsmoothness' that I thought was suspension/bushing related, that seems to have gone away with new axles.

my about me link

Old 04-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
nogoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgold47 View Post
I had planned on doing that with mine, although they were way more gone than it sounds like yours were. I had a lube gun to shoot grease back into the CV, then was going to epoxy the rip shut. Use some hose clamps, and you would have had a certified ghetto repair. Unfortunately, one of my axles gave out before I could do this and I had to replace it. I got about 18 months or so out of the axle after it ripped, but I am glad I replaced it, I had a lot of 'unsmoothness' that I thought was suspension/bushing related, that seems to have gone away with new axles.
You were able to go 18months on an axle that had a ripped boot and eventually ended up void of grease?

With me catching this so soon i figure all i need to do is keep the grease from escaping and it should be good until the normal wear kills the joint. Who knows when that will be though.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
jaymemaurice

My Ride: 01 330ci, 03 Passat
except your axel will still likely fail because of the moisture... just get a remanufactured axel and new oil seals. khalas

Rain Sensor Retrofit: Here
Coupe Headline Replacement: Here
jaymemaurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #8
jgold47

Quote:
You were able to go 18months on an axle that had a ripped boot and eventually ended up void of grease?

With me catching this so soon i figure all i need to do is keep the grease from escaping and it should be good until the normal wear kills the joint. Who knows when that will be though.
yeah, I dont think that was terribly normal. I also dont drive a ton of miles. I think I have put on about 12K miles since I got it in September 2010.

my about me link

Old 04-10-2012, 08:08 AM   #9
nogoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymemaurice View Post
except your axel will still likely fail because of the moisture... just get a remanufactured axel and new oil seals. khalas
Well yeah, every axle will eventually fail, but the solution isn't always to just run out and replace it unless it has. The last time i did this it was a major nightmare and i just can't get into this right now. Then until it starts to actually show signs of wear or making noise i can't see a reason to go spend hundreds of dollars to put the onus on a shop to fix it.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:00 PM   #10
jaymemaurice

My Ride: 01 330ci, 03 Passat
Quote:
Well yeah, every axle will eventually fail, but the solution isn't always to just run out and replace it unless it has. The last time i did this it was a major nightmare and i just can't get into this right now. Then until it starts to actually show signs of wear or making noise i can't see a reason to go spend hundreds of dollars to put the onus on a shop to fix it.
Just drive it till it's about to fail then... the car is 10 years old, probably on its original axle. If you try and fix the outer boot, the inner will likely fail soon anyway. That string of **** you dealt with last time is likely the same on the other side as they are basically the same parts. Anything you do short of taking the axle out and repacking the joints with new one piece boots will be a hack... and if you want to rebuild your joints yourself, you won't save much money and its a pain in the ass.

And how much do you intend to spend on hacking something together to try and make it last a few more miles??

Rain Sensor Retrofit: Here
Coupe Headline Replacement: Here

Last edited by jaymemaurice; 04-12-2012 at 12:05 PM.
jaymemaurice is offline   Reply With Quote