E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
fatwolf

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Send a message via Skype™ to fatwolf
Question vibration in steering wheel

just had front end aligned about a month ago haven't had any problems 50 other day I drove it and it drove fine, wife took car to work and on way home it started vibrating I drove it and it seem to get worse I changed front wheels to the back seem to help a little I got under the car and check everything but couldn't see anything wrong anyone know what might be going on
fatwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
Loose wheel lugs
Bent rim
Unbalanced tires
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:40 AM   #3
ac_2007

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
One or more of your tires may also have radial/lateral runout.

Since you moved the front wheels to the back, it became less noticeable through the steering.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:17 AM   #4
IxNay

My Ride: 2000 328Ci 5sp SP
Possibly front control arm bushings or a sticky front brake caliper.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:47 AM   #5
mxchris727

My Ride: E46, E39, E90, 911..
The first thing that you should do is check the lug bolts. Then go from there.

I have a computer set up with DIS, TIS, SSS Progman, INPA, NCS Expert, WinKFP, Tool32 and PASoft with an EDIABAS interface; PM me if you want to stop by and code your car.
ISTA/D and /P with an iCOMM interface coming soon...
mxchris727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:07 AM   #6
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
What rims do you have on?
Today I learnt something new today, I been using e39 rims for the last few month the vibration at highway speed was killing me.
I found the problem: Hub Centre Bore Size difference
E46 use 72.56mm
E39 use 74 mm

My wheels are basically banging around on the axle.

I just bought a set of HUB CENTRIC RINGS and finally will be able to solve this god damned problem.
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:32 AM   #7
moiz21

My Ride: 1999 323i 5-SPD
OP, everyone has given some good guesses so far. But these are just guesses, cause personally it seems like you need to give a bit more detail. Do you feel it when accelerating? When driving over a certain speed? While breaking, during turns, etc? Be a bit more specific about where in the car you feel it and when and then people can take a few more educated guesses instead of just throwing stuff out there.

MODS
P46 Projectors + FX-R Retrofit + 6k D2S / 60 LED AE's / Smoked LED Tails / Smoked Turn and Side Markers / BSW 10" Sub /ZHP Knob / Matte Black Grills / DICE / Parrot + Connects2 / OEM Alternative Alarm Mod / Clutch Switch Delay Mod / M3 Rep Front Bumper / 3M Black CF Di-Noc Wrap / K&N Intake / 35% Tint All Around / Black Short Eurotray / 545i Shifter
moiz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #8
jaymemaurice

My Ride: 01 330ci, 03 Passat
I guess really worn wheel bearing or brakes/rotors only because nobody else has...
Again we are mostly all guessing... you need to jack up the car, check all is stiff. Check the brakes, is one hot??

Rain Sensor Retrofit: Here
Coupe Headline Replacement: Here
jaymemaurice is offline   Reply With Quote