E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
///BeckeR

My Ride: 03 TiAg 330i ZHP
Eibach Sportlines installed: Shouldn't it be lower??

Hey guys, I just finished up installing Eibach Sportline Springs with KONI Yellows up front on my ZHP. I only had time to do the fronts yesterday so I'm doing the rears tomorrow.

Im not terribly pleased with the results on the front. I was under the impression that there was supposed to be 0 wheel gap and the tire was even supposed to tuck a little??? I have about 1 fingers worth of gap. On the install I used the factory bump stops and spring pads. Was I supposed to remove any of those or modify them? Maybe I just need to wait for them to settle a bit but this is not what I expected.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1334242137.723673.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	446210   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1334242158.034504.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	446211  

03 TiAg 330i ZHP
///BeckeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
Slopestyle

My Ride: E46 '02. 330Ci Coup
Give it some time. They need to settle. Theres a lotta people out there with the same question. search maybe? Try the hump test a couple times. Looks good though. I like let it even if its facelifted.

Last edited by Slopestyle; 04-12-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Slopestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
give it a couple days to settle.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:54 AM   #4
younGun392

My Ride: S.L.O.W
They will definitely settle with time. However not so much of tucking inside like you said. Maybe you should go for coilovers? You could always remove the bump-stops, a lot of people have done it, even on coils..
younGun392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3
looks good to me
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #6
///BeckeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by younGun392 View Post
They will definitely settle with time. However not so much of tucking inside like you said. Maybe you should go for coilovers? You could always remove the bump-stops, a lot of people have done it, even on coils..
I wanted coils but they were way out of my price range for a decent set. I even went over budget getting the Yellows

What would be the benefits of removing the bump stops? Lower ride? Aren't they there for a reason though?

03 TiAg 330i ZHP
Old 04-12-2012, 10:32 AM   #7
///BeckeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopestyle View Post
Give it some time. They need to settle. Theres a lotta people out there with the same question. search maybe? Try the hump test a couple times. Looks good though. I like let it even if its facelifted.
How much do you think they'll settle? Enough to close that 1 finger gap?

I think it looks good too, just hoping for a bit more.

What's the hump test?

03 TiAg 330i ZHP
Old 04-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #8
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Lol at people who think that springs settle. If you install everything correctly then the ride height will never charge.

The thing why sometimes you think srings settle is because you install them incorectly and they fall into their proper place after you drive a bit.

If you install everything properly ,nothing settles

Sent from my X10a using Bimmer App

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #9
///BeckeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked Out View Post
Lol at people who think that springs settle. If you install everything correctly then the ride height will never charge.

The thing why sometimes you think srings settle is because you install them incorectly and they fall into their proper place after you drive a bit.

Really? I have always heard it takes a few hundred miles for springs to settle.

Would it be alright if I removed the bottom spring pad from the front shocks?

Taking apart the front is awful, but I think I might go back in tomorrow and cut the bump stops and remove the lower spring pads.

You guys think I'll get a few more mm of drop??

03 TiAg 330i ZHP
Old 04-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #10
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
Removing the spring pad might cause a little noise but other than that it's not a huge deal to remove it. You'll get an ever so slight drop by removing it.

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #11
Slopestyle

My Ride: E46 '02. 330Ci Coup
The hump test is the quickest way to get it to settle. Every morning before you jump in. Give it a quick hump at every corner. Be sure to install cameras and put the videos on youtube and we can confirm proper execution of the humping. Make sure your neighbors watch in case anything happens they can give you a hand while you hump.
Slopestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:22 PM   #12
Grande D

My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
Looks like my pro-kit (Different zhp from the one in my sig).

i spend it while i can, if i run out i'll swallow all my meds
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #13
///BeckeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopestyle View Post
The hump test is the quickest way to get it to settle. Every morning before you jump in. Give it a quick hump at every corner. Be sure to install cameras and put the videos on youtube and we can confirm proper execution of the humping. Make sure your neighbors watch in case anything happens they can give you a hand while you hump.
Ok funny guy

03 TiAg 330i ZHP
Old 04-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #14
silyb0y

My Ride: E46 330
Quote:

That is sooo wrong. Ride height does change and springs do settle - especially Eibach springs. I have Eibach springs on two of my cars. On one of my cars the front sagged about one inch lower than it was supposed to (took 2 years though).

Your ride height can drop as your shock absorbers age and your ride height can increase when you install new shock absorbers - especially when you install monotubes. Monotubes have higher internal pressure and therefore can influence ride height. If youve ever tried to compress a monotube shock absorber you know what I mean. And also - I believe KONI yellow are monotubes.

BTW:
Once you have installed the rear springs you may feel like the rear end is a little too low. In that case you can go for thicker spring pads. The original upper spring pad is 5mm thick but BMW also offers spring pads that are 15mm thick. Part number is 33531094754. These pads are usually used in BMWs for the east european market - bad roads.

Last edited by silyb0y; 04-12-2012 at 04:39 PM.
silyb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #15
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by adb1028 View Post

Would it be alright if I removed the bottom spring pad from the front shocks?
You can but it wouldnt do much and only result in noise as now there'll be metat on metal contact.

Simply go back and see if the spring is seated properly and see if the shock itself is seated in the spindle all the way like it's supposed to .

For example BMW suggests installing the front springs like pictures below, so the end of the spring is NOT resting against the recess.

If the springs you got follow same design as original springs then you should've installed them this way UNLESS stated otherwise by the manufacturer themself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silyb0y View Post
That is sooo wrong. Ride height does change and springs do settle - especially Eibach springs. I have Eibach springs on two of my cars. On one of my cars the front sagged about one inch lower than it was supposed to (took 2 years though).

Your ride height can drop as your shock absorbers age and your ride height can increase when you install new shock absorbers - especially when you install monotubes. Monotubes have higher internal pressure and therefore can influence ride height. If youve ever tried to compress a monotube shock absorber you know what I mean. And also - I believe KONI yellow are monotubes.

BTW:
Once you have installed the rear springs you may feel like the rear end is a little too low. In that case you can go for thicker spring pads. The original upper spring pad is 5mm thick but BMW also offers spring pads that are 15mm thick. Part number is 33531094754. These pads are usually used in BMWs for the east european market - bad roads.
Spring is what determines the ride height in our cars. You can do a little experiment if you wish, take the rear shocks out and see if the ride height changes. If will NOT change.

Your changes in ride height were most likely due to improper install or bad vision.

Dont believe me, thats fine. Ask this question in the Suspension forum on this board and see what others say.

Again, if you install everything PROPERLY , the ride height will stay like it is. Alignment is done right after the install, and NOT after a few hundred miles .

PM Rob43, he'd be glad to explain why springs dont settle , PM him then come back

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:20 PM   #16
///BeckeR

Quote:
You can but it wouldnt do much and only result in noise as now there'll be metat on metal contact.

Simply go back and see if the spring is seated properly and see if the shock itself is seated in the spindle all the way like it's supposed to .

For example BMW suggests installing the front springs like pictures below, so the end of the spring is NOT resting against the recess.

If the springs you got follow same design as original springs then you should've installed them this way UNLESS stated otherwise by the manufacturer themself.
The Sportline springs did not fit into the bottom recess like the OEM springs did. I'm almost positive I installed the springs exactly like this picture because that was the only way they would properly seat on the perch.

Im not so sure about the spindle holding the bottom of the shock however. I put a jack underneath the control arm and jacked it up until the spindle stopped moving up the sock and the spring started to compress. There was a little metal bump sticking off of the side of the shock that prevented it from moving up anymore.

I think I did the install correctly, but I'm planning on disassembling the front tomorrow after I finish the rear. Im going to cut the bumpstops and possibly remove the lower spring pad (maybe upper too, depending if I discover any problems with the original install that may have affected the height). Im going to remove the lower spring pad in the rear as well, I've read it will help witjh raked look people get with Eibachs.

03 TiAg 330i ZHP
Old 04-12-2012, 11:29 PM   #17
///BeckeR

I think I may have just found my problem. I was just reading a DIY, and it mentioned the little bump on the side of the shock. Evidently there is a "slot" for this bump to slide into on the steering spindle (Knuckle). I never saw or noticed this slot, I just figured the bump was there to prevent the knuckle to continue sliding up the shock. Hopefully that's what affecting the ride height and I can just twist the shock so the bump falls into the groove without disassembling the whole damn thing again!

03 TiAg 330i ZHP
Old 04-13-2012, 03:54 AM   #18
DHK

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325Ci
Springs are not supposed to settle anymore. Manufacturers will tell you their spring settle in 10-30 min nowadays.

That however is not always the case. Many people to experience some settling.
DHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #19
///BeckeR

Problem solved!! The bump was not fitted Into the grove on the steering knuckle like I had thought!! Twisted the shock a bit, and then jacked it up and got another inch! I also trimmed the bump stops 1/2 inch.

Here's what I have now
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1334334842.507685.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	446382  

03 TiAg 330i ZHP
Old 04-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #20
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
Looks great!

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote