E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #21
Koffinb

My Ride: 04 330xi 6spd
well im doing the idler pulley today..I guess i will do the other ones next week. I stil have a lot of research and reading to do on these pulleys and tensioners
Old 04-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #22
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
It seems worse than it is. Each pulley just requires one bolt to come out. After the fan is out, it's about 15 mins. for all three.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #23
Koffinb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
It seems worse than it is. Each pulley just requires one bolt to come out. After the fan is out, it's about 15 mins. for all three.
well why am I only seeing 2 available pulleys on turnermotors>?
Old 04-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #24
manaman22

My Ride: 2000 323i
Because most people don't replace the pulley on the mechanical tensioner, they replace the whole unit. If you have 2 mechanical tensioners, remember that they have different part numbers. This makes them non-interchangeable.

Last edited by manaman22; 04-13-2012 at 05:40 PM.
manaman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #25
daki_bmw

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by manaman22 View Post
Because most people don't replace the pulley on the mechanical tensioner, they replace the whole unit. If you have 2 mechanical tensioners, remember that they have different part numbers. This makes them non-interchangeable.
True, but the pullies themselves ARE the same: Dayco 89133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koffinb View Post
well why am I only seeing 2 available pulleys on turnermotors>?
See my other post on page one for more clarification. TMS offers idler and the one for hydraulic tensioner...probably because BMW didn't "reveal" P/N for mechanical tensioner pulley and BMW themselves offer only those two as a separate part, and only the whole unit when it comes to mechanical one (even that one is disontinued.) But you CAN change the pulley only...again, it is Dayco 89133.

Last edited by daki_bmw; 04-13-2012 at 07:41 PM.
daki_bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:31 PM   #26
Koffinb

so...let me get this straight, idler pulley and tensioner drive belt pulley ( i have hydaulic tensioner) is all i need?
Old 04-14-2012, 04:43 AM   #27
dmax

Quote:
so...let me get this straight, idler pulley and tensioner drive belt pulley ( i have hydaulic tensioner) is all i need?
OP, you should really read more than just your own thread about stuff you're confused about. You're only mildly confused which tells me you haven't studied enough.

There are three pulleys (sort of)...two tensioner pulleys and one idler pulley.

You can replace all three. Search e46Mango with 'pulley' in the title--also search your engine to figure out what tensioners you have. Some PO might have replaced one or the other and you might not have what the car came with originally. You probably have hydraulic tensioner for ACC(essory) belt and could have that or the mechanical tensioner for the AC belt. You don't need to replace tensioners unless your belt was hopping up and down...they're pretty solid things...but the pulleys lose their grease, get hotter, and can seize...then you have issues!

You should also check the pulleys on PS, WP, Alt for cracking...which they do rarely...I've only read of a couple of cracking PS pulleys (they're plastic so I hear...not sure of the others...but mine are all good (knock on wood!)).

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 04-14-2012, 11:46 PM   #28
Koffinb

well wish me luck...i'm going t make this my first diy project tomorrow.....
Old 04-15-2012, 12:22 AM   #29
BeMyWhip

My Ride: 01 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by koffinb View Post
well wish me luck...i'm going t make this my first diy project tomorrow.....
gl
Old 04-15-2012, 06:55 AM   #30
Koffinb

i've searched all over and cant find any DIY tutorials
Old 04-15-2012, 07:04 AM   #31
dmax

Remove fan, belt, and the bolts on the pulleys you're replacing.

Remove dust caps first and inspect bolt head to make sure you're using the right tool to loosen then. Lefty loosey!

Stabilize the tensioners a bit when loosening the bolts. Both my tensioners needed T-50 bolt. Idler, I forget, but probably a 13 mm hex.

You're replacing the belt, I hope, but if not, make sure you put it back on the same direction--mark it or keep the lettering facing the same way.

(I hope that qualifies as a diy!)

Oh, torque? Pretty tight, but not crazy tight. Trust your sense of what's appropriate...you do not want to break a bolt. You could put a dab of locktite on to be safe.

A recent set

Old 04-15-2012, 08:36 AM   #32
trailmower

My Ride: 330CIC
Quote:
i've searched all over and cant find any DIY tutorials
There is absolutely no way you "searched all over".

Google + Belts+Pulleys+e46+video = multiple diy videos

A search of the DIY forum here yielded the following:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...+pulleys+belts

Huge pictures, explicit advice, tools needed. C'mon man.
trailmower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:28 AM   #33
STORMER

My Ride: AA SC 98 M3
I am in a similar situation. Except I did a major cooling system overhaul last fall, replacing all pulleys, tensioners, water pump, belts, hoses, and radiator, and of course et. In the last month I have a squeel coming from under hood especially when its cold and goes away after some driving(15-20 mins).

I have already replaced idler, and tensioner pulleys again and nothing What is left? Just the alternator or water pump I guess. When I pour a little water on the belt the sound goes away but seems to be coming from area top right of the system(alternator area).

Could it be my belt? Perhaps the alternator? I have no codes and the electrical seems fine but I have not tested the alternator.

Any input is welcome thanks.

360+rwhp

AA Stage 2, Arp2000, Underdrive Pulley, M50 Manifold, Cat Delete, Supersprint Exhaust, M5 Clutch w/ Lightweight Flywheel, Euro Fan, FK Coilovers, AEM Boost Gauge, Zhp Knob, Stoptech Brakes, R1 Rotors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
You sir, just thread jacked the sh!t out of OP.

Last edited by STORMER; 04-19-2012 at 10:37 AM.
STORMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #34
dmax

white,

Use a hose as stethoscope...careful of moving things--1" flexible electrical conduit works great, but a 5' section of garden hose would work too.

You can isolate sounds and get right on your problem.

The guys in Cali also like my hose idea, but they really misuse it horribly...don't know what they're thinking sometimes!

A recent set

Old 04-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #35
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW323iWhite View Post
I am in a similar situation. Except I did a major cooling system overhaul last fall, replacing all pulleys, tensioners, water pump, belts, hoses, and radiator, and of course et. In the last month I have a squeel coming from under hood especially when its cold and goes away after some driving(15-20 mins).

I have already replaced idler, and tensioner pulleys again and nothing What is left? Just the alternator or water pump I guess. When I pour a little water only any pulley the sound goes away but it seems to be coming from area top left of the system(alternator area).

Could it be my belt? Perhaps the alternator? I have no codes and the electrical seems fine but I have not tested the alternator.

Any input is welcome thanks.
You did all that and didnt replace the water pump?

Aside from that, a/c compressor and alternator. That or your tensioners (not the pulleys) might need replacing.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #36
STORMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
You did all that and didnt replace the water pump?

Aside from that, a/c compressor and alternator. That or your tensioners (not the pulleys) might need replacing.
I did the water pump not sure how you missed that in my post

Tensioners were also replaced when overhaul was completed.

Whats irritating is that I threw all the old components out which were still good when I did the preventative maintenance on the cooling system. Real stupid. Figured oh well these are brand new its good to go

Killing time at work using BimmerApp

360+rwhp

AA Stage 2, Arp2000, Underdrive Pulley, M50 Manifold, Cat Delete, Supersprint Exhaust, M5 Clutch w/ Lightweight Flywheel, Euro Fan, FK Coilovers, AEM Boost Gauge, Zhp Knob, Stoptech Brakes, R1 Rotors

Quote:
Old 04-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #37
STORMER

Update:
Replaced serpentine belt and viola!!! All this time and it was just a belt went bad after 6000 miles either way its done thanks guys

Killing time at work using BimmerApp

360+rwhp

Quote:
Old 10-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #38
jybnva

My Ride: 2005 325xi
Question BMW no longer replacing pulleys & tension...really?

My '05 325XI recently startling squealing when my car is idle. First thing I thought...the belts. I get that. Took my car to a foreign repair shop rather than BMW so I would get ripped off. Initially they were only going to replace the top set of belts and pulleys. After further investigation, they said the lower set need replacing also.
They just called and said BMW told them they're not selling the bottom set of pulleys/tensioners/belts; but, I need to contact them because it's total hydraulic? What? Huh?
jybnva is offline   Reply With Quote