E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 08:45 AM   #1
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
windshield washer spray

I like a clean windshield. But I have a small problem.
When I turn on washer and wiper with top down some of it
sprays in the cabin.
I've tried re-aiming sprayers, maybe I just need to keep trying till I get it right.
Or maybe there is no solution.
The problem seems to be bounce of the spray off the windshield. If I aim them low I get more bounce. If I aim them high I get less bounce, but more over-spray.

Does anybody else have this problem? Does somebody not have this problem?

Maybe I need new sprayers? Maybe I need to get them better aimed. Before I do anything else I thought I'd reach out and see what other people have experienced. Maybe I just need to duck when cleaning windshield with top down?
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
dknightd

So, do others stay dry when spraying windshield with top down?
Old 05-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dknightd View Post
So, do others stay dry when spraying windshield with top down?
No.

Quote:
Maybe I just need female passengers in white shirts when cleaning windshield with top down?
Yes.
taylor192 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
dknightd

Old 05-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #5
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
No and Yes here as well. Actually, I don't spray with the top down due to that.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, UUC TSE3 Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit/Spacers
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #6
dknightd

Darn. I was hoping somebody had found a way to spray the windshield with the top down and stay dry.

Mostly it hits us in the heads/eyes. If I wanted to see my lady passengers tits I'd just ask her to take off her shirt.

I guess no more using the keyfob to lower the top before I get in - if the windshield might be dirty.
Instead, get in, clean windshield, lower top - boring - Oh well.

I don't remember this problem with my last vert, but that was years ago, and I might have forgot.

I can't believe bmw would release a car that you could not clean windshield on whenever it is needed.
Maybe I should go to dealer and take a test drive of their latest models. Heck don't even have to drive it.
Drop top, wash windshield, if I get wet car fails!

If somebody has found a solution, or manages to stay dry without having to do anything special, PLEASE let me know.
Thanks
Old 05-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #7
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Seriously? This actually upsets you? Have you never owned a car with a sunroof? The same thing happens.

Last edited by taylor192; 05-23-2013 at 06:38 PM.
taylor192 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:41 PM   #8
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
Don't use icky blue fluid. Mix distilled water with alcohol; any overspray just refreshes you then evaporates.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:47 PM   #9
dknightd

It bugs me. I'll learn to work around it, or, I'll find a solution. Time will tell.
I'm still hoping to find somebody who does not have this problem. Might be hopeless. Oh well.
Thanks for your feedback. At least I know I'm not the only one
Old 05-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #10
dknightd

Vodka on the rocks in the cup holder could serve many purposes. Do you think the cops would mind? But Officer, that is only there to clean the windshield and make my woman's nipples erect. I guess if I passed sobriety test they'd be OK? Maybe.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:16 PM   #11
sgoetz628

My Ride: 2002 330 CiC
Don't be using alcohol in the sprayer. You don't want it getting on the leather, or even the vinyl. Dries it out. And don't be spraying the windshield, then putting the top down right away. Part of the top will be wet. Eventually you'll get mold.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #12
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
Washer bottle ingredients notwithstanding, you can avoid getting sprayed altogether by using the washers while moving; it just blows over you and none gets inside.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:45 PM   #13
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
windshield washer spray

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityjohn View Post
Washer bottle ingredients notwithstanding, you can avoid getting sprayed altogether by using the washers while moving; it just blows over you and none gets inside.
Yes, drive fast. If you get stopped show the officer this thread and he will understand.

The Slum Lord Millionaire
"Stay Puft My Friends."

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:45 PM   #14
pauljcl

My Ride: 2005 330cic
Quote:
Darn. I was hoping somebody had found a way to spray the windshield with the top down and stay dry.

Mostly it hits us in the heads/eyes. If I wanted to see my lady passengers tits I'd just ask her to take off her shirt.

I guess no more using the keyfob to lower the top before I get in - if the windshield might be dirty.
Instead, get in, clean windshield, lower top - boring - Oh well.

I don't remember this problem with my last vert, but that was years ago, and I might have forgot.

I can't believe bmw would release a car that you could not clean windshield on whenever it is needed.
Maybe I should go to dealer and take a test drive of their latest models. Heck don't even have to drive it.
Drop top, wash windshield, if I get wet car fails!

If somebody has found a solution, or manages to stay dry without having to do anything special, PLEASE let me know.
Thanks
Mine also oversprays, which i usually don't mind - it doesn't overspray that much.
You can 'spray' very lightly by a very short pull on the wiper control. Several short pulls (which do not trigger the wipers) can be followed by a sweep or two using the 'mist' function. Alternatively, if you are driving above 50-60 mph, the overspray gets lost behind and does not reach you if you lean a little forward when you spray.
All in all, a very minor issue. It does not prevent me from enjoying the car! Few cars offer an optional light cooling shower when the weather heats up.
pauljcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:55 AM   #15
fmzip

My Ride: 2001 330cic & 530i
get a supercharger, drive faster...... Spray doesn't get me
Old 05-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #16
XKR

My Ride: 2001 M3 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmzip View Post
get a supercharger, drive faster...... Spray doesn't get me
yupp when ever I'm doing over 80 I'm pretty safe. But once my headlight washer was loose and it kind of blew away...
XKR is offline   Reply With Quote