E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 12:19 AM   #1
328iKid

My Ride: 2013 Ford Mustang GT
My 1987 E30 325is Build!

Hi all!

This will be my official build thread for my prized E30 325is. I picked her up almost two weeks ago off a brother of a friend of mine for $800, which is a hell of a deal! I'm extremely excited to own this car, it brings me so much happiness that I have lost since I got rid of my last BMW (1999 328i) which was also my first car might I add. Ever since I was a small child I've been fascinated by BMW cars. The one that sticks out to me the most is the very first BMW I had ever seen which was an E30 325i which was owned by a friend of my sister. I always thought it was such a bad ass lookin' car.

What brought me to the decision to buy this car? Well I had been searching for an E46 M3 to buy for about a year, with my bad luck I missed the chance to purchase one not once, nor twice, but three times. All three of them were in mint shape. And on top of that I found an immaculate E39 M5 which also slipped by me. Frustrated, I recently decided on forgetting about purchasing another BMW for a long time. The fact I traded my '99 328i off on a brand new 2011 Ford Ranger FX4 in late September of 2011 added to my frustration. I found myself going through a sort of depression and deeply regretted trading my car for the truck. But there was nothing I could do about it.

One day while sitting in an Xbox Live party with a few friends (including my friends brother who I purchased the 325is off or later, We'll call him Rami which is his name so I don't have to make these stupid inserts for clarifying who he is) we all got to talking about BMWs. Naturally I got upset at the fact I had gotten rid of mine and missed so many chances to have my dream car which is the E46 M3. This sparked conversation about alternatives. As owning an E46 ///M can be pricey, and me being still rather young at just 20 years old I was convinced that it just wasn't the right car for me at the time. Rami suggested to go try to find either a euro spec E36 M3, or an E30 325is.

One day while at work, I notice an E36 M3 pull into the lot. I walk up the the owner and say "nice M3 buddy!" and we start talking. Turns out this thing is a 1995 E36 M3 euro spec right from Japan with 130,000 km on it and owned only by members of his family and taken VERY good care of. And guess what? He's selling for $14,000 it to make room for an R32 Skyline he plans on purchasing. As good luck as it was to stumble upon this great deal for a rare car, I had the equally bad luck of not being able to purchase that one either.

So after being turned down for the purchase of 5 awesome BMWs in a period of roughly one year. I decided to forget about it. I told Rami that I was giving up on trying to buy one, that's when he made me an offer I would have never expected and could not refuse. I knew he was extremely close with his E30 325is and thought he could never sell it. He offered it to me for $800 and I handed him the cash the very next day.

The car is in great shape mechanically. The body isn't bad at all, a bit of rust here and there. But the frame is completely in tact and solid. It sat for a year before I bought it two weeks ago, so we had to give it a boost to start it up. She fired up almost immediately!

I drove it home and parked it in the garage. And later on got to thinking about what I'll do with this car. The engine is solid, but has 238,000 KM on it. So I'll be rebuilding it eventually. I would love to put some E30 M3 body panels on it and bumpers, but I'm unsure if that is even possible. I'll probably restore the body to original, but I really have to get rid of the chrome bumpers and trim pieces. And I plan the turbo the car after the engine and transmission rebuild are completed.

It's still far too early to have a definite plan for what I will do to the car, first I'm focusing on fixing a few things. First on the list is new rear shock mounts, all end-links, balljoints, bushings etc, a new differential since the one in it now is done and seals for the transmission for now until rebuild. Next winter it's getting gutted straight down to the frame and bare metal. removal of all protectant, paint rust or anything else and having it reinforced and everything painted black. Everything from there on out will be either new or re-manufactured parts. I would like to try to put an E30 M3 suspension in it if possible but parts will probably be impossible to find.

I can't wait to get it started! I'll keep you guys updated as much as possible on the progress. I would love any advice on what to do with this car or how to fix and modify this car.

I'll have pictures tomorrow!
328iKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
e30?

My Ride: 04 325ci
Congratulations on purchasing God's chariot. Plan on doing a timing belt replacement before you start driving it. My e30 is my daily driver and i love it. M3 parts aren't that difficult to find for it but they will be expensive. Try r3vlimited.com, it's a really good website for all kinds of tech info and parts from other e30 enthusiasts. I also have an 04 325ci that i really like too but my e30 will always be my first choice, I love it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0403.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	270.7 KB
ID:	455011  
e30? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
328iKid

My Ride: 2013 Ford Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30? View Post
Congratulations on purchasing God's chariot. Plan on doing a timing belt replacement before you start driving it. My e30 is my daily driver and i love it. M3 parts aren't that difficult to find for it but they will be expensive. Try r3vlimited.com, it's a really good website for all kinds of tech info and parts from other e30 enthusiasts. I also have an 04 325ci that i really like too but my e30 will always be my first choice, I love it.
Thanks! I'm glad to have the car. I've checked the timing belt and it's in good shape, previous owner did it two years back! My main concern about the engine is actually a very light knock, so slight it can't be heard while driving the car but just upon a slight blip of the throttle while standing over the engine bay with the hood up. My plan is to just get a new engine altogether now so I've been saving up I'm just not too sure what to go with, I'm leaning towards doing a Ford 5.0L swap however.
328iKid is offline   Reply With Quote