E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
Varicocele

I posted about my testicles pain a year ago. I saw a urologist and my primary care doc, I had ultra sound and MRIs done. But everything came out normal.

I still have the pain, my brother has been having the same symptoms, he had an ultra sound and his doc said he has mild Varicocele.

Reading more about it, lifting weights and stress are main triggers.
http://www.dilipraja.com/varicocele.htm

My docs don't think I have Varicocele and they recommended I keep working out as usual but avoid jogging. I have been lifting heavy. Not sure if this is making it worse. I did stop working out for 5 months last year and I still had the pain.

Has anyone had this before? I don't know what to do. It freaking hurts. It gets much worse when I'm stressed out.

Last edited by z00; 03-22-2013 at 09:46 PM.
z00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
J.DoubleU.O.

My Ride: ...
First time I've even ever heard about it.
J.DoubleU.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
kushy

My Ride: automatic m3
Can you imagine all the germs on the doctors hands when he fondled your balls
kushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
DILLA

My Ride: 330i ZHP
I am almost 100% sure I have varicocele right now in my left test. Feels like a bag of worms. Going to the doc this week.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #5
z00

That sucks, let me know how it goes.

Does the pain get worse with stress? What about lifting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DILLA View Post
I am almost 100% sure I have varicocele right now in my left test. Feels like a bag of worms. Going to the doc this week.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #6
z00

The doc used gloves when he stuck his finger up my ass. So no worries about germs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushy View Post
Can you imagine all the germs on the doctors hands when he fondled your balls
Old 03-26-2013, 06:23 PM   #7
DILLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
That sucks, let me know how it goes.

Does the pain get worse with stress? What about lifting?
I don't get stressed out easily, but running in lacrosse with compression shorts will hurt for days after. Lifting agitates it mildly, not as much as running where my legs rub against them. Hurts most when I'm sitting down. It's been off and on for the last month, it's gotten painful enough to where I don't want to lift though. I feel less drive to work out and my libido feels like I'm 40. F this sh1t!
Old 03-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #8
325iGirl03

My Ride: 2003 325i
Awkward, I know... a chick commenting. But seriously. My bf has this. His doc says athletes usually get it or people who ride motorcycles/sport bikes. You can get surgery, but it's not always guaranteed to work. When he takes a hot shower especially he says it hurts really bad. He let me feel it, and I can feel a vein like thing in his balls. He also complains occasionally after cardio, but it seems like the hot water makes it hurt the most.

I hope everything works out. Just try to be careful and wear briefs instead of loose boxers for better support.
325iGirl03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #9
z00

I avoid any cardio workouts. Does it get better after ejaculation?

Which underwear do you use (boxers, briefs, etc...)? I'm having a hard time knowing which one works best for this as it makes a difference. If I wear something loose, I feel like my balls are hanging and lack support, if I wear something tight I feel like there is too much pressure.

Quote:
I don't get stressed out easily, but running in lacrosse with compression shorts will hurt for days after. Lifting agitates it mildly, not as much as running where my legs rub against them. Hurts most when I'm sitting down. It's been off and on for the last month, it's gotten painful enough to where I don't want to lift though. I feel less drive to work out and my libido feels like I'm 40. F this sh1t!
Any help is good lol

Good to know about hot water, I thought hot water would make it better as it relaxes the veins. This pain is terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325iGirl03 View Post
Awkward, I know... a chick commenting. But seriously. My bf has this. His doc says athletes usually get it or people who ride motorcycles/sport bikes. You can get surgery, but it's not always guaranteed to work. When he takes a hot shower especially he says it hurts really bad. He let me feel it, and I can feel a vein like thing in his balls. He also complains occasionally after cardio, but it seems like the hot water makes it hurt the most.

I hope everything works out. Just try to be careful and wear briefs instead of loose boxers for better support.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #10
325iGirl03

My bf gets those briefs from American Eagle. They aren't too tight, but not too loose. Any similar ones should work just fine. Yeah. You would think the hot water would help, but that seems to be when he is in the most pain. I was thinking an epsom salt bath would maybe help, but probably not considering the whole "hot" sensation. Ejaculation seems to be fine. Not sure if it helps though. I'll ask lol Elevating your legs would probably help, when in a lot of pain. Also an anti-imflammatory.

Did you see a Urologist? If the doctor said you didn't have it, then you probably don't. Doctors CAN be wrong, though. How long have you been dealing with the pain? Maybe you're pulling something from working out.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #11
z00

I saw a urologist and my primary care doc. I had ultra sound and MRIs done but all showed normal testicles.

The pain started last year, it was very bad, then got gradually less, but recently it started again. Nothing changed in my life style. I don't lift as heavy now. But that's still not helping. Yes, elevating my legs help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325iGirl03 View Post
My bf gets those briefs from American Eagle. They aren't too tight, but not too loose. Any similar ones should work just fine. Yeah. You would think the hot water would help, but that seems to be when he is in the most pain. I was thinking an epsom salt bath would maybe help, but probably not considering the whole "hot" sensation. Ejaculation seems to be fine. Not sure if it helps though. I'll ask lol Elevating your legs would probably help, when in a lot of pain. Also an anti-imflammatory.

Did you see a Urologist? If the doctor said you didn't have it, then you probably don't. Doctors CAN be wrong, though. How long have you been dealing with the pain? Maybe you're pulling something from working out.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:49 PM   #12
325iGirl03

Huh. Strange. Typically, most things would show up on an ultra sound, even inflammation - which would have been my guess or torn tissue. You could also be having referred pain, but if it's been hurting for a year or longer, then I don't know. Try to figure out what things cause it to bother you the most, then go from there.

It really sounds like maybe you pulled a nearby muscle or something, and it's causing pain there.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:45 PM   #13
z00

It's puzzling. My doc was thinking I pulled a muscle or something around the area but the pain is coming from around the left testicle itself not outside.

Sometime ultra sound does not show everything. The doc said if it's mild varicocele then it won't show up.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:10 PM   #14
325iGirl03

That is very true. I would think you would know, though. It feels like a bulging vein when the pain hits. It's also his left side as well. So I don't know if the left is more prone to the issue or not.

It could very well be a pulled muscle somewhere close by, and because you work out it could just be hard to completely repair itself.

Just keep getting follow ups. Take anti-inflammatories like Ibuprofen. If you'd rather go the natural way, then take a good multi-vitamin every day to keep inflammation down. (Vitamins like A, C, D, E and even Omega 3's & B's can help. These are all in a multi.) I would say an ice pack, but that doesn't sound like it would feel good.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:07 AM   #15
z00

Thanks for the tips. I have been doing all of that for the past year. I don't wanna do the surgery. My only option is pain. Pain in my head from all of these voices, now pain in my left testicle.

BTW, left testicle gets the pain because the cord on it is longer and there are more veins than the right one. See link I posted O thread.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:22 AM   #16
325iGirl03

Np!

Well good luck! I hope all goes well with your issue.

Just take it easy & you should be fine.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #17
DILLA

Quote:
I avoid any cardio workouts. Does it get better after ejaculation?

Which underwear do you use (boxers, briefs, etc...)? I'm having a hard time knowing which one works best for this as it makes a difference. If I wear something loose, I feel like my balls are hanging and lack support, if I wear something tight I feel like there is too much pressure.
Ejaculating doesn't really make a difference.. sex makes it hurt worse since my balls are slapping everywhere. I wear briefs, compression makes it feel like there's too much pressure like you said, and just free hanging hurts. Had an ultra sound today, I have a medium sized variciocele in the left. I have been given ciprofloxacin and naproxen to combat the swelling and if there is any infection. Probably will have to get an endoscopic surgery where they go in through the abdomen to pull the veins, my roommate had a variciocele and that's how he got it fixed.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:13 AM   #18
z00

Lucky you, at least you found the root cause from ultra sound. Both of my ultra sound and MRI did not show anything abnormal.

Did you ask your roommate if he has any complications or issues after the surgery?

Quote:
Ejaculating doesn't really make a difference.. sex makes it hurt worse since my balls are slapping everywhere. I wear briefs, compression makes it feel like there's too much pressure like you said, and just free hanging hurts. Had an ultra sound today, I have a medium sized variciocele in the left. I have been given ciprofloxacin and naproxen to combat the swelling and if there is any infection. Probably will have to get an endoscopic surgery where they go in through the abdomen to pull the veins, my roommate had a variciocele and that's how he got it fixed.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:34 AM   #19
J.DoubleU.O.

My Ride: ...
Maybe you have a (Arnold voice) tooma!

Sorry, I know it's not a joke. Just made me think of Kindergarten Cop.

I feel for you man. I have extremely bad sciatica with herniated disks, and I know how the **** can hurt.

Is there (really hope not a chance of testicular cancer?

Hope you get it figured out and cured.
J.DoubleU.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #20
DILLA

Quote:
Lucky you, at least you found the root cause from ultra sound. Both of my ultra sound and MRI did not show anything abnormal.

Did you ask your roommate if he has any complications or issues after the surgery?
He just had to take it easy for about three weeks, totally fine after that. Hope you get it figured out, if it's anything like the pain I'm feeling, it sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.DoubleU.O. View Post
Maybe you have a (Arnold voice) tooma!

Sorry, I know it's not a joke. Just made me think of Kindergarten Cop.

I feel for you man. I have extremely bad sciatica with herniated disks, and I know how the **** can hurt.

Is there (really hope not a chance of testicular cancer?

Hope you get it figured out and cured.
US and MRI would have picked up on testicular cancer or any cysts or tumors. They found a small cyst on my epididymis but it is nothing to worry about. Usually the dangerous things are ones that don't hurt.