E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
richATTK

My Ride: junk
SRS light fix with aftermarket wheel...

(yes I have searched...)

I purchased a new Nardi wheel and adapter, I'd like to install without the SRS light coming on when I reconnect battery and restart car. I know it's been posted many times before but I cannot find (searching for 2 days now on various forums) any specific info and pics for an E46 M3.

gorgeous, i know...

Friends that I have asked have said they've totally disabled and removed the airbags from their E46s (track cars). While my car is not my daily driver and slowly becoming more of a track (HPDE and drifting) car, I do not want to completely disable the entire airbag system from the rest of the car right now. (And yes I also understand the seat belt restraint system will act as if there is still an airbag in my steering wheel.)

And no, I'm not pulling a bulb or just putting tape over the light.

I've found the following informative threads, but nothing dealing with E46s:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=139336
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1122313
http://www.brazeauracing.com/tech/steeringwheel.htm

The following is taken from one:
Quote:
After removing the airbag, steering wheel and contact ring, I installed a 3.3 ohm resistor across the terminals that connect to the contact ring. I fabricated a connector out of an old audio component connector that had the correct spacing and pin size. No wires cut and easy to go back to stock.

Below is a picture of the type connector I used. You need one with the correct pin size and pin spacing. Then it can be cut down to 2 pins. These type connectors are used in many types of electronic equipment. TVs, car stereos, home audio equipment and computers.
I'd like to know if the same "3.3ohm resistor" trick on the contact ring will work on my car. Right now I really don't know exactly what the "contact ring" is, or where to find it.

When I pulled my wheel off I see this:

It's a plastic ring that spins around an inch each way, is this the e46's contact ring? It has two plastic guides that stick out of line up the airbag and wheel correctly (and the connector for the horn on the bottom?). I'm pretty sure the center/left plug outlet up on the top goes to the airbag, as the same harness connects to the airbag itself.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. As I'm not really good at auto-electrical stuff, pics with photoshopped arrows would be spectacular. Hopefully you can help me and some other people in the future who find this thread, thanks.
richATTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
Akovski

My Ride: 323CI
any pics of it installed?
Akovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:35 AM   #3
richATTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akovski View Post
any pics of it installed?
As soon as I figure out how to fix this I will be happy to post one.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
richATTK

...done! Found a wiring kit to use stock steering wheel wires, works great, no SRS light. It feels amazing to drive with, much thinner than stock M wheel but just makes the whole car feel stiffer and more responsive.

Last edited by richATTK; 04-13-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:32 AM   #5
mojako

My Ride: bmw
Where did you get the wiring kit and how much did it cost you? The wheel looks fantastic
mojako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:38 AM   #6
ac_2007

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
So it looks worse than most OEM steering wheels and now you'll probably face a head injury in a crash.. brilliant.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
richATTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojako View Post
Where did you get the wiring kit and how much did it cost you? The wheel looks fantastic
Thanks, it's a simple wiring kit from Crowder's Customizing. I searched for info all over and it ended up being a pretty easy fix.
http://crowderscustomizing.com/catal..._red-2235.html

Last edited by richATTK; 04-14-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #8
sr71blackbird92

My Ride: 2004 325i - 2002 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
So it looks worse than most OEM steering wheels and now you'll probably face a head injury in a crash.. brilliant.

I kinda agree - whats the point of changing the wheel, especially when that means removing the airbag?

02 M3: 19" OEM Wheels - OEM CSL Bumper - OEM CSL Steering Wheel - Headers - Angel Eyes - Carbon Fiber Interior Wrap - Smoked Corners - Powerflex Bushings All Around - New Vanos - New Clutch

05 545i Daily Driver - Space Gray Metallic with the Sport Package

2004 325i Sport - Sold | 1997 E39 540i6 - Sold
sr71blackbird92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #9
richATTK

You two are honestly the first two people that I have heard dislike this wheel. (that's E46fanatics for ya ) Whatever, to each his own....

It has an amazing, very stiff feeling, makes you feel VERY connected to the car, and feel what's happening almost instantly. Inputs and movements no longer have this muted, "comfy" feeling. The stock M3 wheel felt like a wet sponge in comparison.

I don't drive my car very often on the street, the airbags will most likely be taken out full but right now I would still like the safety of them for a passenger as my passenger side doesn't have a track seat and harness.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:18 PM   #10
mkodama

I'm a bit on the fence about the styling. Good find with the wiring.

I definitely wouldn't want to do that to my E46 though, because I really don't want to die of a broken neck.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #11
SK8URDEAD

My Ride: TopazBlu 325I
most of you guys look at the negative side of things dont you... i say it looks nice and flows pretty nicely. something new which makes it unique and it does look like it would give a stiffer grip to the car.
SK8URDEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:23 AM   #12
ac_2007

If I'm going to be dubbed a hater because I care for my own safety and well being, so be it.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:29 AM   #13
PH03NIX46

My Ride: '03 M3
In terms of aesthetics, I'm sure the wheel will look better once everything else is torn out in the interior/you get a rollcage.

Right now, with everything else being presumably stock, it's kind of ricey imo. But I'm sure you'll make it work.

Also, I too wouldn't do this, for sake of a neck/head injury.
PH03NIX46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:00 AM   #14
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by richATTK View Post
It has an amazing, very stiff feeling, makes you feel VERY connected to the car, and feel what's happening almost instantly. Inputs and movements no longer have this muted, "comfy" feeling. The stock M3 wheel felt like a wet sponge in comparison.
Is it not turning the same thing as the stock wheel was? Is it significantly smaller in diameter or something?

Quote:
I don't drive my car very often on the street, the airbags will most likely be taken out full but right now I would still like the safety of them for a passenger as my passenger side doesn't have a track seat and harness.
Quote:
as my passenger side doesn't have a track seat and harness.
I would assume you have a track seat and harness for the driver side...so it's all good!
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:09 AM   #15
mkodama

Quote:
If I'm going to be dubbed a hater because I care for my own safety and well being, so be it.
No, you're going to be dubbed a hater because you're just an all-around dÓck all over this forum.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #16
ac_2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
No, you're going to be dubbed a hater because you're just an all-around dÓck all over this forum.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:27 PM   #17
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
LMAO AC, you are the man
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:43 PM   #18
Dingleburrrg

My Ride: 04 325i
I think it looks sweeet! And if it drives better then gooood for you man, as long as you like it, that's all that matters, right? And if you don't like it... I'll definitely take it. FO3 FR333333333
Dingleburrrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:29 AM   #19
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
As long as he is wearing his seat belt, he should be fine. The truth is, airbags are there as a backup system for people who are still too stupid to drive with a seatbelt. The side airbags do help when there is a side impact, and certainly prevented me from banging my head against the side window when I was hit in the drivers door. As long as he did not defeat all of the airbags, and it does not sound like he did, then he is probably not in any more danger than anyone with a front airbag, as long as he keeps his seatbelt on.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:07 AM   #20
ac_2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
As long as he is wearing his seat belt, he should be fine. The truth is, airbags are there as a backup system for people who are still too stupid to drive with a seatbelt. The side airbags do help when there is a side impact, and certainly prevented me from banging my head against the side window when I was hit in the drivers door. As long as he did not defeat all of the airbags, and it does not sound like he did, then he is probably not in any more danger than anyone with a front airbag, as long as he keeps his seatbelt on.
Reminds me of the time my cheap-ass Honda dealer didn't want to replace the seatbelt buckle giving me the SRS light in my beater. If the light is on, the airbags don't pop.
"There's no proof airbags save lives anyways".. I tried to be nice by only referring to him as a moron.

Even with a lack of common sense, coupled with complete ignorance towards the countless studies demonstrating airbag benefits, at least the manufacturers who spend countless dollars researching, developing, and then installing them in your car should be telling you something.