E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 12:24 PM   #21
briangl92

My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Driver View Post
Im currently at my shop right now awaiting for the straight pipe install. I will let you guys know how it goes when I am done. I am just hoping for something louder than the Dinan exhaust. I know I could have just hacked apart the Dinan exhaust but I wanted to keep it for when I go back to California or if I just want to sell it in the near future.
Be interesting to see how it will be. How was the sound with the Dinan? It should be louder than standard 325s because we have have one less resonator/muffler.
Straight pipes from the headers back? Or do you have catless headers too?
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #22
briangl92

Quote:
And do BB headers fit the M56 motor? I remember someone once telling me that there was no header upgrade for our cars. But then again that was my old mechanic who believed Dinan was the answer to everything and would not put anything else on his/my car. I soon realized that he was just doing his job as an Authorized Dinan dealer and I should probably take my car elsewhere.
Here's someone who did a AA header install. In theory it should line up, but you have to find a resolution to the O2 sensor errors with either programming or bungs. I'm not sure how the latter would work though, or what would be involved.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...551&highlight=
Old 04-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #23
Mr. Driver

My Ride: 2004 325Ci
So just went into the shop to see what they are going to do.

First off... The Dinan exhaust was barely louder than stock 325's. I only really heard the difference on start up and from 1.5-2k.
Next... I do have cats on my headers.

Finally... To avoid throwing some codes and making it easier on the shop. I am just going to replace the Dinan section of the exhaust, Mid-pipes and back with a single pipe. Hopefully. This gives me the sound I want.
Mr. Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #24
Mr. Driver

Oh and BTW. I grew up in SV... That town...
Old 04-27-2012, 01:07 PM   #25
briangl92

Quote:
So just went into the shop to see what they are going to do.

First off... The Dinan exhaust was barely louder than stock 325's. I only really heard the difference on start up and from 1.5-2k.
Next... I do have cats on my headers.

Finally... To avoid throwing some codes and making it easier on the shop. I am just going to replace the Dinan section of the exhaust, Mid-pipes and back with a single pipe. Hopefully. This gives me the sound I want.
Interesting. The Dinan exhaust was never meant to be overly aggressive though. So you're converting from a dual down to a single after the 2nd set of cats? It'll probably sound similar to a straight piped 323i.

Quote:
Oh and BTW. I grew up in SV... That town...
It's not bad. The only problem is within the last couple years there's been an increase in meth-addicts coming up from the SLV area and stealing out of unlocked cars to sell for drugs. Not a problem because we always lock our doors...except for the one time I forgot
Old 04-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #26
Mr. Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by briangl92 View Post
Interesting. The Dinan exhaust was never meant to be overly aggressive though. So you're converting from a dual down to a single after the 2nd set of cats? It'll probably sound similar to a straight piped 323i.
I really dont know how a single pipe exhaust tip would look coming out of my car. Soooo I opted for two turn downs that will just come out right after the second set of cats. Doesn't sound too bad at all. Its louder than the Dinan exhaust and still has the clean sound.

Quote:
It's not bad. The only problem is within the last couple years there's been an increase in meth-addicts coming up from the SLV area and stealing out of unlocked cars to sell for drugs. Not a problem because we always lock our doors...except for the one time I forgot

I remember when people used to leave their garage doors open and doors still unlocked...
Old 04-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #27
briangl92

Quote:
I really dont know how a single pipe exhaust tip would look coming out of my car. Soooo I opted for two turn downs that will just come out right after the second set of cats. Doesn't sound too bad at all. Its louder than the Dinan exhaust and still has the clean sound.

I remember when people used to leave their garage doors open and doors still unlocked...
Not sure how I'd like it lacking exhaust tips :/ Reminiscent of the early e39s.

They still do...despite having stuff stolen. Example: my neighbor
Old 04-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #28
Snapasaurus

My Ride: 2005 325i SULEV
I have an 05 325i SULEV with 85xxx miles. No modifications, strictly stock.
Snapasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:14 PM   #29
briangl92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapasaurus View Post
I have an 05 325i SULEV with 85xxx miles. No modifications, strictly stock.

If anyone finds or has any info, corrections, or documents they want me to add let me know!
Old 04-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #30
Iceman00

My Ride: E90 6MT
Seen a dyno with the Dinan exhaust LOSING power over stock exhaust. Just saying..
Old 04-29-2012, 01:06 AM   #31
Mr. Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
Seen a dyno with the Dinan exhaust LOSING power over stock exhaust. Just saying..
That would not surprise me. To be honest I am just happy that it is off my car.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #32
eneka

My Ride: 2003 325i
115k here, original owner
had my secondary air pump replaced under warranty around 100k when I had to get a smog check and needed to get rid of the SES light.

but the stupid light is back on...I'm guessing it's one of the valves or something this time (P1411)

Only mod is the oem performance intake

and maybe it's just the way I drive but i get an average of 20 mpg...same as what we get on our 6000lb 3.5L V6 minivan... did the sparkplugs..airfilter..ect...I just got some new besian vanos seals and will be doing those soon along with the valve cover gasket.

Last edited by eneka; 05-02-2012 at 04:43 PM.
eneka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:47 PM   #33
briangl92

Quote:
Originally Posted by eneka View Post
115k here, original owner
had my secondary air pump replaced under warranty around 100k when I had to get a smog check and needed to get rid of the SES light.

but the stupid light is back on...I'm guessing it's one of the valves or something this time (P1411)

Only mod is the oem performance intake

and maybe it's just the way I drive but i get an average of 20 mpg...same as what we get on our 6000lb 3.5L V6 minivan... did the sparkplugs..airfilter..ect...I just got some new besian vanos seals and will be doing those soon along with the valve cover gasket.
I'm averaging 20.3 right now with my roof crossbars on. My commute is hilly though, and usually involves a lot of 60mph-stop-60mph-stop nonsense with traffic so I figure I'm doing pretty well.

Two big things that affected my gas mileage were replacing my thermostat, which was shot, so the car was constantly in warm-up mode (increase of ~1.5 mpg) and dumping a bottle of Red Line fuel injector cleaner into it (~0.5-1 mpg).
Old 05-03-2012, 04:20 AM   #34
eneka

Quote:
Originally Posted by briangl92 View Post
I'm averaging 20.3 right now with my roof crossbars on. My commute is hilly though, and usually involves a lot of 60mph-stop-60mph-stop nonsense with traffic so I figure I'm doing pretty well.

Two big things that affected my gas mileage were replacing my thermostat, which was shot, so the car was constantly in warm-up mode (increase of ~1.5 mpg) and dumping a bottle of Red Line fuel injector cleaner into it (~0.5-1 mpg).
I changed out my whole cooling system about a year ago because the thermostat was stuck open a swell...it's working fine right now..
my commute is pretty much all highways...hmmmm maybe it's just my lead foot... the engine growl is so nice even on a 325i haha
Old 05-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #35
briangl92

Quote:
I changed out my whole cooling system about a year ago because the thermostat was stuck open a swell...it's working fine right now..
my commute is pretty much all highways...hmmmm maybe it's just my lead foot... the engine growl is so nice even on a 325i haha
That Redline came recommended to me by several people and I was skeptical. I had a loud injector, so I figured I'd try it. Didn't fix the injector noise at all, but it did raise the MPG. I felt ghetto dumping it in...I used a screwdriver to hold the flap open in the filler I didn't have the right sized funnel and the bottle neck is too big.

Haha if you haven't yet, try the golf-tee mod. I know it's nothing revolutionary but with the M56 the difference is more noticeable than the 330s in my opinion. It gets even growlier. On slight highway grades it can drone a little bit though, if I'm honest.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #36
eneka

hmm maybe i'll try the redline, I was thinking about seafoam but don't really want all the smoke in the neighborhood alarming the neighbors...

I've actually don't the golf-tee mod before but I thought there was a little to much drone so I ended up plugging the tube back in haha
Old 05-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #37
crazzy88ss

My Ride: 05 330 ZHP auto
2004 M56 325 with 95,200 miles. No mods. No issues to report yet.

I've been putting Techron in it once about every... 3-5,000 miles I think? since I found out it was an SULEV about 2 years ago (about 15,000 miles ago).

I get about 23.5mpg automatic or 24.5mpg driving the auto in "manual mode." My commute is about 7 miles streets (with stop signs/lights every 50 feet it seems) and 7 miles highway. I'll be moving in three weeks and the commute will be about 15 miles highway and 2-4 miles street. Should be interesting to see if mileage increases.
crazzy88ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:13 PM   #38
briangl92

Quote:
hmm maybe i'll try the redline, I was thinking about seafoam but don't really want all the smoke in the neighborhood alarming the neighbors...

I've actually don't the golf-tee mod before but I thought there was a little to much drone so I ended up plugging the tube back in haha
I noticed a slight drop in MPG while the Redline was in the tank. ~.2 drop but after another half tank the MPG started going up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzy88ss View Post
2004 M56 325 with 95,200 miles. No mods. No issues to report yet.

I've been putting Techron in it once about every... 3-5,000 miles I think? since I found out it was an SULEV about 2 years ago (about 15,000 miles ago).

I get about 23.5mpg automatic or 24.5mpg driving the auto in "manual mode." My commute is about 7 miles streets (with stop signs/lights every 50 feet it seems) and 7 miles highway. I'll be moving in three weeks and the commute will be about 15 miles highway and 2-4 miles street. Should be interesting to see if mileage increases.
I replied to your pm
Old 05-04-2012, 06:16 AM   #39
xdmikey

My Ride: e46 cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post

Could you suggest a better alternative? I have catless headers.
Tia.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #40
tritone88

My Ride: 2001 325i
I was asked to reply on this thread about an issue I had trying to fill gas tank but it kept shutting off. Here's the result:

Okay the tip on checking if the fuel fill works with the boot pulled back fails too. So I finally relented and told her to take it to the dealer. They diagnosed a bad gas tank or whatever is in there and since it is an SULEV vehicle, they said it is covered under the 150K warranty. Yeah!!! $8500 to replace. Unbelievable! Of course, there is always a possibility that this won't fix the problem. I will post again with the final resolution after the tank is replaced.

Thanks again to all who answered.
tritone88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
m56, sulev