E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 11:02 PM   #381
briangl92

My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
***The Official M56 SULEV Warranty Documents, Check-in, and Questions Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad44 View Post
I was just speaking with a guy that had his SUckLEV die at 146k miles... it's an 03' and after he spoke with both the dealer and BMWNA, he was told he had to tow it in to have them check it out, and it MAY NOT be covered... At first I was outraged for him, and figured BMW was using these techniques in hopes he would not bring the car in... then I later wondered if maybe they were covering their bases in case the problem was not SULEV related. Though I seem to recall him mentioning they said it would cost him $9,000 to replace it if it wasn't going to be covered by them...

Is there any case in which a car that has less than 150k miles, and 15 years has not been covered by BMW for warranty repair?
As long as the dealer isn't playing dumb and recognizes the warranty, then they should be fine. Some people have issues if their car is not in the original state where it was purchased, but generally a couple calls to BMWNA seem to take care if that.

The only case I've heard of a warranty eligible car getting completely denied was from a service advisor a while back. The owner came in reporting issues filling the vehicle with gas so they took it in and inspected it. Turns out the owner had run over a substantial rock and caved in the tank. They didn't cover the replacement.

Sent from my iPhone
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:35 PM   #382
SoCaLe39

My Ride: 06 M5 & 03 325i
Its covered.

On another note, what are your guys' gas mileage like? I've gone through and changed the spark plugs, filters, new torque converter and all fresh oil and still only getting about 25 on the highway. My goal is to hit 30mpg on the highway which from what it sounds like is achievable. Seems like there something hindering my mileage even when I'm light on the pedal.

Things I'm considering looking into to help increase mileage:
- Electric Fan Coversion
- Vanos Seals
- Possibly O2 sensors
SoCaLe39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:22 AM   #383
briangl92

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaLe39 View Post
Its covered.

On another note, what are your guys' gas mileage like? I've gone through and changed the spark plugs, filters, new torque converter and all fresh oil and still only getting about 25 on the highway. My goal is to hit 30mpg on the highway which from what it sounds like is achievable. Seems like there something hindering my mileage even when I'm light on the pedal.

- Electric Fan Coversion
- Vanos Seals
- Possibly O2 sensors
My average is around 20-22 on my hilly commute. If I'm very careful, I can get it up to 24 average. On long highway runs, like I-5, I can only manage 26ish.

I have new plugs, filters, thermostat, Vanos seals, intake boots, and a healthy transmission. O2 sensors are fairly expensive and their age is accounted for in their readings so unless there's a problem, I'd probably leave them.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:08 AM   #384
MrDrCr

My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaLe39 View Post
Its covered.

- Electric Fan Coversion
- Vanos Seals
- Possibly O2 sensors
I fighting the same losing battle. Stuck at 24mpg if I'm light footed. Has anyone done the coils or re map with shark programer and cold air intake?
MrDrCr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:10 AM   #385
eneka

My Ride: 2003 325i
my usual average is around ~21 mpg, I do have a lead foot however.

I have the electric fan swap, besian vanos seals, oem performance intake and spark plugs are fairly new. Also have a mtechII front bumper and ebay trunk lip spoiler if that makes any aerodynamic difference

On my last roadtrip I got 30mpg over 900 miles and I got 454.5 miles on one tank with the obc showing 4 miles left. That was going 80+mph with a/c the whole way.

Last time I drove from LA to SF I think my hand calculations put me at around 29.6 mpg, that was driving at 65mph the whole way with cruise control..

Going to switch to oem bmw oil from Mobil 0w-40 to see if it'll help with my lifter tick at start up. Also need to change out my original tranny and diff fluids..

One thing I noticed was that if I were to use one whole tank at once, the next morning I always have to crank my car twice before it'll start, that's even if I left the fuel pump prime before starting too.

Last edited by eneka; 12-10-2013 at 02:16 AM.
eneka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #386
SoCaLe39

Good to hear you are getting the mileage you are. I can say that my mileage did increase slightly with the new plugs at about +.5mpg. The one thing I really want to do is the electric fan conversion but I'm thinking that i'll hold off and do the vanos seals, belts and pulleys all around the same time....maybe even refresh the cooling system while I'm there.

The one thing that has me suspecting the vanos seals need replacing is that yesterdays cold start had a bouncing idle. First time its happened but could be an indication of seals needing replacement which could also explain increased fuel consumption. The nice thing is that the vanos seals are a pretty cheap fix.......just need the time to do it.

For those who have done the fan conversion and/or seals, did you guys see an increase in mpg?

Thought I'd also share a couple pics from my engine compartment detail.

For more photos check out my "Project Galatea | Build Thread"

Last edited by SoCaLe39; 12-10-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:30 PM   #387
Bob K

My Ride: '05 325i
My 2005 325i sulev gets 29-30 on I-5 during long runs,
Max. But that is doing 80 mph trying not
to block traffic. The only thing I have done differently
( that I can tell) is that I do not replace my air filter.
I DO blow it out with 100 psi air pressure regularly.
I may have compromised my filtering ability , but,
on a SoCal street car I do not place high demands
on my air filter. Or, maybe I'm just lucky...
I'm just saying, how much is 4 mpg freeway worth?
Do the math for YOUR situation. This is what I get
with a factory clutch fan. It might be hard to get a pay-back
on an electric fan.
YRMV
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #388
eneka

@Socale39 seeing your pictures got my ocd kicking in so I decided to detail my engine bay today as well

Last edited by eneka; 12-13-2013 at 09:33 PM.
eneka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:40 AM   #389
briangl92

When I did my Vanos seals, I didn't get any MPG improvement. The old seals were hardened and the cam phase in was not smooth at all, to the point it felt like the car downshifted. The biggest gains I've had were replacing a stuck thermostat, plugs, K&N panel filter, and replacing my shot transmission.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 12-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #390
SoCaLe39

@bob - Honestly there isn't much gain for the electric fan swap but to me less mechanical load and potential for catastrophic failure is worth the price. Lets not forget, when it comes to replacing your fan clutch.....they aren't necessarily cheap.

@eneka - Looking good. I must say I'm a little jealous of that BMW performance intake.

@briangl92 - I've got three of the 4 items you mentioned covered. As for the thermostat, I'll be doing a cooling system overhaul soon so maybe I'll see some gains there in case its sticking.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #391
ElrichMeister

My Ride: 06 325Ci M56
Re: ***The Official M56 SULEV Warranty Documents, Check-in, and Questions Thread***

I average about 21 to 22 mpg, mixed city/Highway. My lead foot and heavy 19 vmrs don't help.

When my et cracked at 78k I did cooling system over haul, i replaced my rad at 60k under sulev warranty because the catalyst sensor on the rad was faulty.

After the cooling system overhaul I didn't see much of an increase on mpg.

I've had my car since 42k and it is now sitting just shy of 110k. Going to try to replace the gas tank before the 150k mark somehow

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-15-2013, 02:00 PM   #392
briangl92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElrichMeister View Post
I average about 21 to 22 mpg, mixed city/Highway. My lead foot and heavy 19 vmrs don't help.

When my et cracked at 78k I did cooling system over haul, i replaced my rad at 60k under sulev warranty because the catalyst sensor on the rad was faulty.

After the cooling system overhaul I didn't see much of an increase on mpg.

I've had my car since 42k and it is now sitting just shy of 110k. Going to try to replace the gas tank before the 150k mark somehow

I'm not sure what catalyst sensor you're referring to. As far as I know, the only radiator related sensors covered have to do with coolant temperatures. Do you have any info on a catalyst sensor?

Old 12-15-2013, 10:17 PM   #393
SoCaLe39

OK so today I finally had a chance to really see where my mpg is on an open hwy and amazingly I averaged 33.4 mpg cruising between 75-80 for about a 40min drive. So based on this, my assumption is that my commute to/from work is what is really killing my mpg as I average about 25.5 mpg throughout the week. While I do experience some stop/go on my commute I didn't think it would have such an impact and since I was averaging a week of driving that combines good days and bad days. So in short, I'm a happy camper and I think its safe to say my engine is running good
Old 12-16-2013, 08:11 AM   #394
ElrichMeister

My Ride: 06 325Ci M56
Re: ***The Official M56 SULEV Warranty Documents, Check-in, and Questions Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by briangl92 View Post
I'm not sure what catalyst sensor you're referring to. As far as I know, the only radiator related sensors covered have to do with coolant temperatures. Do you have any info on a catalyst sensor?

Might have worded that wrong, but as you know the sulev radiators are coated in something that's reduces ozone emissions, apparently there is a sensor that detects the efficiency of this process because my car was throwing a code for it.

Took it to the dealer and they replaced the radiator under sulev warranty, since the sensor is attached to the radiator and not replaceable.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:15 AM   #395
SoCaLe39

Elrich - There are no sensors directly attached to the radiator so not really sure what the dealer replaced aside from the radiator. You can see in the link below that aside from the coating the SULEV radiator is the same as a non-SULEV radiator.

SULEV
http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Site...13922/ES38090/

Non-SULEV
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-325...iator/ES38236/

Also, non-SULEV radiators work perfectly fine in our cars as seen here:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15709936

So in short, whatever code you were getting was not related to a SULEV sensor for the radiator.

Last edited by SoCaLe39; 12-16-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #396
la325i

My Ride: 2005 325i
My 2005 325i generally gets 32 to 33 mpg on long flat runs like I-5 through the California central valley, with cruise control set in the mid to upper 70's (since I have been told that if you drive 78 through this area "no one will bother you"). I always reset the mpg and average speed settings once I am at speed at the beginning of the run so that the accumulated in-town info won't impact the readings. There are usually two people plus luggage in the car.

These I-5 readings have been pretty consistent since the car was new. Around 73K, I replaced the spark plugs. Shortly thereafter, I made an I-5 run and saw a slight (0.5 to 0.75) increase in gas mileage. I didn't have a recent "before" run to directly compare with. The engine ran a bit more smoothly after the plug change -- although there really wasn't anything wrong before. The bottom line is that it was probably just time for new plugs as a maintenance item.

Usually when I think that the gas mileage is low, I find that accumulated around town driving is the cause. These driving conditions are varied and hard to control for. If I reset the computer while in town, the mileage goes to hell because there is no accumulated highway mileage to average with. Then, when I get the chance to do a flat highway run, I discover that the highway mpg is about the same as always.

A thanks to those who commented on my pre-cat sensor issue. Last week, I was driving between Paso and the coast in an area where I always get the sensor error. Again, I got a "Service Engine Soon" light. It cleared before I got back to SoCal, but I will be pulling the codes and following up.
la325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #397
jaynrb

I have a 2003 325i M56 Sulev with 133K miles. I called and talked to my BMW dealership because I seem to be having issues with the Fuel Pump. I am getting the P0102 code and the MAF seems fine. Been researching and I have seen a couple people have had to get their fuel pump changed.

So... They told me at Momentum Houston that they cannot honor the 150K 15yr warranty for sulev engines because of "company policy." I emailed BMWNA to see where I could take it to get it worked on. I would like to get the valve cover replaced or check for PCV failure.

annoyed.

Jay
jaynrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #398
SoCaLe39

Don't let the dealership dick you around. Company policy excuse is BS and if anything they are just trying to cover their ignorance. Bring in the service bulletin and ask to talk with the service manager and stand your ground. If they give you the Company Policy BS ask to see the policy. If you push hard enough with documents they WILL fold but the key is to not let off and don't be afraid to be a nuisance. The tank repair is nothing to take lightly and BMW and their dealerships are legally bound to hold to their warranties of this nature.

Also, if I were you I'd try other dealerships as well. Good luck!
Old 01-11-2014, 08:35 PM   #399
MurcielagoE46

My Ride: E46 325Ci
I got a 2005 with the sulev engine in it and 82k miles on it. It has been great until today, got to work parked got out from work and got in and missfire cylinder 3 code 2744. Im not done reading all the info posted here but does that fall under the 15 year 150k mile warranty?
MurcielagoE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:53 PM   #400
la325i

My Ride: 2005 325i
It could be something really simple. I had a misfire that turned out to be caused by a coil wire that had somehow migrated and intermittently shorted out. This happened under the regular warranty, so it was fixed with no questions.

You might save some time by pulling the engine cover and visually inspecting it before you take the time to go to the dealer or another shop. If it is simple, you may be able to fix it yourself.
la325i is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
m56, sulev