E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #41
briangl92

My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
Thank you!
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:13 PM   #42
briangl92

A great description of what's involved with removing the fuel rail on the M56. Credit to Rob_in_LA for this!!

Quoted from: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=919268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_in_LA View Post
Everything about the SULEVs is a little different when fuel is concerned. The injectors are special for these cars only, and so have been manufactured in VERY small numbers. (CA, NY, VT only). It is not obvious how the electrical connectors come off and the plastic in the area is brittle. So I don't want to force anything.

I have heard rumors about a special tool to remove these connectors. The release seems to be on the bottom side, out of view. This is such a basic task many of you must have done it. Any suggestions?

By the way, the plastic wire loom frame for the fuel injector wiring on these 325i cars is NOT available as a separate part. (This according to RealOEM). The only way to obtain this plastic tray is when you buy the whole loom. The loom costs $176. I want to be gentle with these brittle plastic parts.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rob
Quote:
Okay. The connectors have a c shaped spring which releases from the top by spreading the two points of the C apart, and parking the spring to the side. An interesting thing about this is that ALL SIX connectors have to come off at the same time. The wiring loom plastic tray does not permit other motions. For those of us who are used to removing our connectors one at a time this is a little counter intuitive, but easy enough when you know that is how the task is done.

After bleeding off the fuel, and removing a few hex head bolts the fuel rail should lift straight up.
Quote:
The injectors are just fine. In order to replace the center ventilation fan on this particular 325i the fuel rail has to come off, and the rocker cover has to come off. This is how you get access to the fan. On this model the fan housing does not split, as it does on other models, so swapping out the fan involves heavy lifting. I have researched this carefully and there is no other way to do it.

While I am in there, since the injectors are out anyway, I will probably have Witch Hunter test them and/or clean them. And then they will get new o-rings. The car has 70,000 miles on it. I will probably drive it until 150,000 and while I am in there it just seems prudent to do it.

The rocker cover gaskets were pretty thoroughly baked out. (It gets hot under the hood here in SoCal). So it is just as well that I am doing those.

Perhaps I should be doing the VANOs seals as well. No sign of a problem yet, but I understand that they can be a problem, and I don't plan to have the rocker cover off again for another five years.

BTW You really seem like you know these cars. And yes, this information is for public use. Quote it anyway you feel would help the community.

Rob
Quote:
I have the fuel rail off.

Like everything else having to do with fuel on SULEV M56 engine the Bentley manual is not much help.

The injectors attach to the fuel rail, not with clips but with substantial nuts. Once the fuel line is detached from the fuel rail, the rail-injector assembly may be moved side to side. Spraying a little WD40 the top of each injector gasket, and moving the rail side to side gently helps work the WD40 into the o-ring joints.

Since all six injectors come up as a single unit with the fuel rain, a pry bar helps, and is probably necessary. Force to lift the assembly, and break free the stuck o-rings was on the order of 40 to 50 pounds per side.

Finally I was able to get the access which I need to install the blower motor for the HVAC, which was the reason to remove the fuel rail in the first place.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:32 AM   #43
eneka

My Ride: 2003 325i
just filled up today!
Went 295 miles and filled up with 15.6 gallons..which is roughly 18.9 mpg
I'm pretty sure it's my lead foot.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #44
briangl92

I'm going to see about swapping everything to stock on mine and take it in to diagnose the early fuel filling shutoff and loud injector.

According to the Assistant Service Manager I spoke with, typically problems with the M56 where they are shutting off at the pump too early can be caused by topping off too much. In this instance, liquid gasoline spills over into the charcoal evaporative filter/canister. Then when you go to fill it, it creates an air lock that triggers the pump to shut off too early. He said that this may or may not be covered and it depends on a case-by-case basis.

Interestingly enough, when I mentioned the injector, he asked another service manager if those were covered under the SULEV warranty and he actually pulled out the SULEV dealer info sheet for reference. He said that the injectors are, in fact, covered but that it depends on the reason its loud to determine whether or not its covered. So, believe it or not, the documents in my first post are actually what service advisors are referencing
Old 05-12-2012, 10:31 PM   #45
Amoeba

My Ride: his: zhp hers: 325ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba
We have a M56 04' coupe with 102k. Car is having trouble starting up and it appears the fuel pump is going bad not maintaining fuel pressure after car sits for a few hours. Additionally, the pressure regulator seems to be failing pumping out 70psi instead of the normal 35psi. Was quoted 7k+ to replace the sealed gas tank. Good to hear about this emissions warranty. Hopefully it'll work when we talk to a dealer next week.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #46
crazzy88ss

My Ride: 05 330 ZHP auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritone88 View Post
I was asked to reply on this thread about an issue I had trying to fill gas tank but it kept shutting off. Here's the result:

Okay the tip on checking if the fuel fill works with the boot pulled back fails too. So I finally relented and told her to take it to the dealer. They diagnosed a bad gas tank or whatever is in there and since it is an SULEV vehicle, they said it is covered under the 150K warranty. Yeah!!! $8500 to replace. Unbelievable! Of course, there is always a possibility that this won't fix the problem. I will post again with the final resolution after the tank is replaced.

Thanks again to all who answered.
Well that's interesting... I've encountered that problem three times. I solved the issue on the 3rd time by holding the pump handle at a different angle. Good to know it might be SULEV related and I'll keep track of it.
crazzy88ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #47
briangl92

I thought I'd just post a video of before and after the "golf-tee" mod on a M56 engine. You won't be able to tell the difference if you're using standard computer speakers or earbuds. The difference is in the lower sound frequencies.

Before:

After:
Old 06-04-2012, 01:01 PM   #48
Amoeba

My Ride: his: zhp hers: 325ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba
What is this golf-tee mod?
Old 06-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #49
briangl92

Not sure if serious.....

You unplug the vacuum line from the valve in the exhaust so that it turns it into a dual exhaust at low RPM. Then you plug the vacuum line with a golf-tee or screw or something of the sort.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #50
crazzy88ss

My Ride: 05 330 ZHP auto
I'm not sure this belongs in the SULEV warranty thread... I'd like to keep this clean for problems relating to SULEV, not mods.
crazzy88ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #51
briangl92

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzy88ss View Post
I'm not sure this belongs in the SULEV warranty thread... I'd like to keep this clean for problems relating to SULEV, not mods.
It's not all warranty related information in this thread. It was merely a comparison of the SULEV before and after.

The difference is more noticeable than a 330i due to the fact that the SULEV has cats in the front section as opposed to a resonator/muffler like every other e46.

That all being said, yes, this thread serves more purpose as a warranty information thread than anything. That was the primary goal when I made it. Thanks for the suggestion, though. Noted. Let's keep the primary focus on warranty and service related issues.

Last edited by briangl92; 06-07-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #52
MMMGP

My Ride: 325iT, 1997 M3 Sedan
Checking in. 2005 M56 touring here, almost at 110K miles. I too have the early fuel shut off when filling up--will try a different fill angle as suggested. Also, I have a strange RPM issue--could this be the surging issue some of you have noticed above 2500rpms? A few members on this forum believe this rpm issue to be related to my transmission, but I don't know...

Last edited by MMMGP; 06-11-2012 at 05:08 PM.
MMMGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:38 AM   #53
briangl92

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_Estate View Post
Checking in. 2005 M56 touring here, almost at 110K miles. I too have the early fuel shut off when filling up--will try a different fill angle as suggested. Also, I have a strange RPM issue--could this be the surging issue some of you have noticed above 2500rpms? A few members on this forum believe this rpm issue to be related to my transmission, but I don't know...

Doesn't look out of the ordinary to me. Stuff like that can sometimes be VANOS related though.

Mine decided to drink a quart of oil in 3500 miles I'm taking it to the dealer soon so I'll mention it. Possibly CCV related. No detectable leaks and recently done OFHG and VANOS oil line. No leaks from either. CCV should be covered if that is the problem. Btw, our valve covers run north of $600 last I checked.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:06 AM   #54
SpoonerDee

My Ride: 2005 E46
05 sulev with aprox 75,XXX miles. Not one issue (sulev related) thus far. As I mentioned in another sulev thread when I first bought the car a secondary air pump code popped up and I thought I would need a new one. Dealer or rather the chump who answered the phone, had no idea about the sulev warranty. Luckily the pump was fine and I did not have to battle.

Other than normal BMW issues, the car has been great.
SpoonerDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #55
ElrichMeister

My Ride: 06 325Ci M56
Well I keep getting an EAC sensor code popping up an SES light, upon searching seems like it's a radiator sensor, being a special sulev radiator I'm gonna walk into the dealer and find out what happens

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Old 08-14-2012, 01:37 PM   #56
MostroMan

My Ride: 2002 325Ci, 5MT
Is the SULEV DISA valve part of the emissions system?

'04 325it steptronic SULEV with 75K miles. Symptoms are sluggish mid-range power, and what I think is poor gas mileage (18 mpg compared to 26mpg on my '02 5M coupe).

My indie shop found lean codes (no CEL or anything) and traced the problem to a worn DISA valve. It's an easy DIY fix, but the part is a couple hundred dollars. The DISA valve on the M56 is unique to the SULEV. If it's part of the warranted emission system, I'll take it to the dealer and save the cost. Anyone know if the valve replacement is covered by the emissions warranty?
MostroMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #57
briangl92

Quote:
Originally Posted by MostroMan View Post
'04 325it steptronic SULEV with 75K miles. Symptoms are sluggish mid-range power, and what I think is poor gas mileage (18 mpg compared to 26mpg on my '02 5M coupe).

My indie shop found lean codes (no CEL or anything) and traced the problem to a worn DISA valve. It's an easy DIY fix, but the part is a couple hundred dollars. The DISA valve on the M56 is unique to the SULEV. If it's part of the warranted emission system, I'll take it to the dealer and save the cost. Anyone know if the valve replacement is covered by the emissions warranty?
As far as I know, it isn't covered. I don't believe the DISA valve is any different for the M56 engine. There may be a slim chance that it would be covered, however, because it does affect the emissions. The issue is that you're in Arizona. I don't think the SULEVs were ever sold in Arizona, so even if on the off chance it was covered, your dealer would more than likely tell you that they couldn't honor the warranty and you'd have to take it to the state where it was originally purchased.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #58
MostroMan

Thanks for the input. The part number for the DISA valve on the M56 ends in XXXXXX44806 according to RealOEM, while the part for the M54 engine ends in XXXXXXX44805, so I assumed they were different, engine-specific parts.

Also, FWIW, before I bought the car a couple months ago, I contacted the local dealers here in the Phoenix area, as there is a lot of misinformation about the SULEV emissions warranty. But each dealer I spoke to agreed they must honor the EPA mandated warranty to maintain the integrity of the emissions system for 15 yrs/150K miles, or ostensibly the "life of the car." I think this has been pretty well confirmed by fanatics in other threads on the forum.

I just don't know if the DISA valve is technically part of the "emissions system." Guess I'll cross my fingers and take it in to the dealer!
Old 08-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #59
briangl92

Quote:
Originally Posted by MostroMan View Post
Thanks for the input. The part number for the DISA valve on the M56 ends in XXXXXX44806 according to RealOEM, while the part for the M54 engine ends in XXXXXXX44805, so I assumed they were different, engine-specific parts.

Also, FWIW, before I bought the car a couple months ago, I contacted the local dealers here in the Phoenix area, as there is a lot of misinformation about the SULEV emissions warranty. But each dealer I spoke to agreed they must honor the EPA mandated warranty to maintain the integrity of the emissions system for 15 yrs/150K miles, or ostensibly the "life of the car." I think this has been pretty well confirmed by fanatics in other threads on the forum.

I just don't know if the DISA valve is technically part of the "emissions system." Guess I'll cross my fingers and take it in to the dealer!
Ok, that's great news! I've heard of people being hassled regarding warranty stuff out of the state of purchase. But that's great if they'll honor it. Otherwise, I've heard of people needing to contact BMWNA to get that taken care of.

I'm not sure, being emissions related, it may be covered. Page 2 of the "M56SULEV" pdf I posted states
Quote:
The emission relevant components are warranted for 15 years or 150,000 miles.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:40 PM   #60
MostroMan

Looking at the M56sulev.pdf file, it seems to confirms the 15/150 warranty issue. Also, the list of covered emissions components illustrated tells me the DISA valve isn't expressly covered...which answers my primary question. Thanks for posting those files! A great resource! And thanks for starting this thread for us SULEVers!

Tags
m56, sulev