E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 11:04 PM   #1
AdamBath

My Ride: E30
M54 Megasquirt questions

The M54 from my 01 330ci which I no longer own is going to find a new home soon, in my 87 635csi. I've already built my Megasquirt, it works properly, but I have some other questions that I'm having a hard time finding the answer to.

The crank position sensor is Hall type, I know this much, but I need to know what the cam position sensors are... Are they also Hall type or are they VR or some other type? The Megasquirt can run pretty much any type of sensor but if it's not Hall I'll have to adapt the signal to make it think it's a Hall.

I'm running the MS3X setup, will be running all of my coils and injectors individually, no wasted spark etc. Does anyone have a pinout for the coil's? I'm going to have to wire those into the harness so it'd help if I knew what each pin does, the MS3X should be able to run them no sweat AFAIK.

I'm running the VANOS and DISA off of a separate controller board, even though the MS3X can run VVT. I'm uncomfortable with running alpha code on my daily drive so for now I'll use hoveringuy's controller board and when the code becomes more mature I'll run the MS3X's VVT stuff.

Also, related but not specifically to the M54, running a MAP sensor instead of a MAF is acceptable on a non-turbo car correct?

I will also eventually build a turbo setup for it though

Last edited by AdamBath; 09-12-2011 at 10:25 AM.
AdamBath is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:30 PM   #2
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
I am researching MS stuff as well for the e30 Subscribe for info
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:00 AM   #3
AdamBath

What are you doing to your E30? My E30 is getting the M30B34 from my E24, with a Garrett T04 turbo. Will also be Megasquirted.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:55 AM   #4
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
You need to get a Bentley manual, it has all the wiring info you will need, as well as mechanical, which can be pretty important in a swap.

Secondly, there is a thread on BFc started by SmallSnail about MS...it's a really good resource.

Personally, I have no experience with it, so I can't comment much further.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
AdamBath

iha
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
You need to get a Bentley manual, it has all the wiring info you will need, as well as mechanical, which can be pretty important in a swap.

Secondly, there is a thread on BFc started by SmallSnail about MS...it's a really good resource.

Personally, I hvave no experience with it, so I can't comment much further.
I have a Bentley, it's beyond confusing reading their charts(and does not seem to have a pinout of the coils) , and has absolutely no mention of what type of sensor the cam sensors are.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:07 PM   #6
hoveringuy

My Ride: e30
I'll send you some info in the morning that should help a little, condensed wiring charts and pinout tables.

For the greater audience, I'll be working on converting my M54 to MS3/MS3x as well, using a gutted ECU as a plug-in interface. It looks like with the new expansion board it should be almost plug-n-play, with the exception of the coil drivers, and I'm hoping to recycle the ones from the ECU.
hoveringuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:03 AM   #7
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoveringuy View Post
I'll send you some info in the morning that should help a little, condensed wiring charts and pinout tables.

For the greater audience, I'll be working on converting my M54 to MS3/MS3x as well, using a gutted ECU as a plug-in interface. It looks like with the new expansion board it should be almost plug-n-play, with the exception of the coil drivers, and I'm hoping to recycle the ones from the ECU.
So this is the type of thing I have to look forward to in retirement.

Inching closer...
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:47 AM   #8
tinkwithanr

My Ride: '00 323i + '75 2002
Sub'd. I'm using megasquirt on my m20 swapped 2002 so any info you come across would also be useful.

Would also be great to have a pnp for the m52/54 so I could turbo the e46 with a custom kit.

Mica - 2000 BMW 323i - The one that started it all
Fiona - 1975 BMW 2002 - The Definition of Project Creep
Heidi - 1988 BMW M5 - The piece of BMW history
Silvia - 2013 Subaru WRX - Stock, for now
tinkwithanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:45 AM   #9
hoveringuy

Newest Megasquirt supposedly has VVT (VANOS) in the beta software. I will get it working on my standalone VANOS controller which has been bullet-proof the last several years and then transisiton to MS VANOS control. DISA should also be easy.

Also talk in the Megasquirt forums about native support for S54 cam wheels.

Standard features include multiple maps (alternate fuel), traction control, accelerometer support, data logging, canbus.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:05 AM   #10
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBath View Post
What are you doing to your E30? My E30 is getting the M30B34 from my E24, with a Garrett T04 turbo. Will also be Megasquirted.
Just finish my 2.7L Stroker m20. Now need to tune it and what not. It will be turbo next year after i fix the suspension and interior...
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:30 AM   #11
SL Blak Soldier

My Ride: 2001 3 Pedal M54b30
Send a message via AIM to SL Blak Soldier
Whoo.

My friend has been wanting to PnP Mega Squirt my car for a while now. His turbo m20 e30 is currently on ms3

GL! can't wait for you to set it up!
Old 09-16-2011, 05:38 AM   #12
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 323i with S54
Don't listen to hoveringuy, he is all talk!
HakenTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:28 PM   #13
AdamBath

Finally found my coil wiring harness, will make things MUCH simpler.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:00 AM   #14
hoveringuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HakenTT View Post
Don't listen to hoveringuy, he is all talk!
No shit! He needs to put-up or shut-up!

http://m54megasquirt3.blogspot.com/
Old 09-17-2011, 07:19 AM   #15
ZeroSum

My Ride: 05 325
I follow with interest, would love to get MS on my car.
ZeroSum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:12 PM   #16
hoveringuy

Now idling nicely on Megasquirt3.

http://m54megasquirt3.blogspot.com/
Old 09-24-2011, 09:15 PM   #17
Toofpik

My Ride: 2002 325ci
the cam sensors are also hall... look it up here on page 26...

http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/BMW_docs/m54x5.pdf
Toofpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:13 AM   #18
blarf

My Ride: '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBath View Post
running alpha code on my daily drive so for now I'll use hoveringuy's controller board and when the code becomes more mature I'll run the MS3X's VVT stuff.
You'd be surprised. MS2 is still open source (MS3 is not AFAIK), so there are people working on getting the idle control working /properly/. A friend of mine is running said code on his W201 with great results.

Apparently you can get standalone dual VANOS controllers if you want to do that (Seattle Circuits).... and... oh yah... looking through one of the threads here it looks like the DME uses more than simply the engine speed to toggle DISA (something you may want to think about as you try to eek more power out of the engine).

My biggest question is: what are you going to do for a throttle? Does MS3 do drive by wire? Gonna use an M52TU intake w/ its slightly smaller throttle body? Or?
blarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:25 PM   #19
Toofpik

My Ride: 2002 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by blarf View Post

My biggest question is: what are you going to do for a throttle? Does MS3 do drive by wire? Gonna use an M52TU intake w/ its slightly smaller throttle body? Or?
I think the easiest route would b to use a TB off an e36... I think turner motor sports makes an adapter kit for it if I remember correctly...
Toofpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:56 PM   #20
hoveringuy

I intially ran a generic M50 throttle body with an adapter plate. It worked fine and actually didn't hurt power to have a slightly smaller bore.

I also developed an e-throttle controller for the stock e-throttle and electric gas pedal. I ran that for a while and it worked fine, too.

Now I have custom throttle body that uses M54 mounting and bore, but with the M50 TPS sensor. It works great, too!

I drove around with the Megasquirt3 this weekend and it worked just fine. I have an extra port triggering my Vanos controller circuit (triggers with load over 15% and coolant over 110 degrees F) and it integrates just fine.

Need to tune VE tables now. Anyone have the stock timing chart??

Last edited by hoveringuy; 09-25-2011 at 03:57 PM.