E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
Mark T.

My Ride: 2003 325it
Ebay Headers with High Flow Cats

I can't find the info I need for this.
I want to put ebay headers on my touring, but I want to keep it legal with high flow cats. What I need to know is where do I need to position the cats and o2 sensor's to keep from throwing a CEL?
Mark T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
Mark T.

Anybody???
Old 04-25-2012, 06:54 AM   #3
SoloII///M

My Ride: Many
It's going to be tricky. I suspect you would be OK using the O2 bungs on the headers for your primary O2 sensors and then putting the high flow cat (and the secondary O2's) after the merge, assuming you're dumping to a single exhaust.
SoloII///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:58 AM   #4
Mark T.

Yes, it would be going into a single 3" pipe. I'm having a hard time figuring out where I need to position the sensors with the cats though.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:58 AM   #5
SoloII///M

My Ride: Many
Put the cat after the merge in the 3" pipe. Put secondary o2s after it. Done.
SoloII///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:24 PM   #6
Mark T.

Thanks! I just need to make sure the wire for the post cat sensor will be long enough. Have you, or anyone you know done this successfully?
Old 04-25-2012, 07:14 PM   #7
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Most people running cats after the merge (ie, with headers) wind up throwing codes. In short, the DME doesn't understand that the cats have been moved downstream and it doesn't like the response times it sees. Best bet is to wire in an LC-1 instead. There's a thread here with instructions.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #8
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
OP, fill us in on something, is your want/need for high flow cats a "legal" thing for state emissions, or because you want to save the environment & sleep well at night.

Please answer this, then I have some thoughts on the matter.

Rob

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind" M54 CAMS 264/252 $849
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:37 PM   #9
Mark T.

Ha, it's for legal reasons. If I lived 1 county to the right of me, I would not have to take my car in for e-check
Old 04-26-2012, 03:24 AM   #10
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
Most people running cats after the merge (ie, with headers) wind up throwing codes. In short, the DME doesn't understand that the cats have been moved downstream and it doesn't like the response times it sees.............
True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. View Post
Ha, it's for legal reasons. If I lived 1 county to the right of me, I would not have to take my car in for e-check

Here's how I plan on dealing with this same problem in the next month or so.

First, not only when the Emissions guy hooks up to my computer, my Bimmer must pass, but I'm sure they'll slide a mirror under the car to actually see the cat. So it's a double whammy. I of course have headers like a lot of forum members, & run the Magnaflow #16533 (for now) Cat-Back exhaust system (no cats for those that don't know). My plan is to take my stock exhaust & weld on the Magnaflow #94038 so it is AS CLOSE TO THE HEADER FLANGES AS POSSIBLE. I will even trim off some of the front of the #94038 so it can get right up on those flanges. This of course is no guarantee that this plan will work, But......if it has any chance at all of working, the cat needs to be as close as I can make it. A second bung hole (no jokes please) will need to be added in the #94038 for the both 02 sensors to fit.

Here's what I think this will accomplish:

1) My loud Bimmer will not attract much attention ounce I put the stock exhaust back on, & it will be even quieter with the new #94038 cat installed.

2) If I'm lucky, it might not throw any codes, making this a complete success.

3) If & when the Emissions guy slides a mirror under my Bimmer, he'll see my new cat with two 02 sensors sticking out of it.

4) If after driving this setup around for several days (before going to Emissions) & I get an emissions code that pops up, I'm still not totally worried. What I've come to learn is there's a "window" of time between when any car has had all of its codes reset, compared to how long after that, when it shows up at the testing facility. Meaning, you can't just drive to within a mile of your Emissions facility & reset all of your codes, yes, you won't be throwing any codes at that moment, but the testing facility will fail you because they know everything was just reset. So if I determine that after I do a code reset, I can travel about 150 miles before it happens again, I'll note that. Next is how many times I can (cycle) turn on & off the car before I set off a code, of course I'm still driving it, not just turning it on & off. The more on/off cycles, the better. So within 5 to 10 days I'll have all the information I need, If I don't throw any codes, it's a win win. If I do throw a code, I'll just figure out how long I can go before one comes back after a reset, & just show up for my test a little sooner.

Now some may say, "hey your cheating", but lets look at the facts:

1) My Bimmer will have a Brand New Catalytic Converter installed, a somewhat restrictive one at that, not a "race cat" like others install.

2) On the day it goes in for its emission test & passes, it will be completely legal, A) Because of what has already been stated on line 1, & B) Because it really will be running great right then, & not be throwing any codes.

http://www.truckpartshub.com/product...-d-d-w-o2-boss

http://www.magnaflow.com/02catalytic...niversal=94038

After that, the next chance I get, the preferred Magnaflow #16533 Cat-Back will get slammed back in place. Happy hunting hear I come.

Shazam, (Good luck)
Rob.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind" M54 CAMS 264/252 $849
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #11
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i
Rob,

I'm going to be working on the same type of setup for my Ontario E-test, they hook it up as well as dyno it for tail pipe emmissions.

Why not hook up the Cats and then wire in an LC-1 to make the computer happy. Then the tail pipe will pass muster with its emmissions, (or in your case the cats will be seen in place), and no codes will be thrown.

Check out my band - The Marked

1999 BMW 328i (Daily Driver) - m54b30 intake manifold, ebay headers, Rebirth Motorsports CAI, Rogue Engineering underive pulleys, Epic Motorsports Remote Dyno Tune, Custom 3 inch exhaust with Burns Merge, Schrick 264/248 Cams
1967 Buick Skylark - 430 Buick Big Block Swap.
jared_wiesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #12
TxZHP04

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared_wiesner View Post
Why not hook up the Cats and then wire in an LC-1 to make the computer happy. Then the tail pipe will pass muster with its emmissions, (or in your case the cats will be seen in place), and no codes will be thrown.
If I weren't running the MagnaFlow headers with integrated cats, that's exactly what I would do.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
Old 04-27-2012, 06:33 PM   #13
Mark T.

Thanks for the info guys!!
Old 04-28-2012, 08:18 AM   #14
xdmikey

My Ride: e46 cabrio
TxZHP04, how are those working? Do you like them; are they effective/give the desired results?
Old 04-28-2012, 08:40 AM   #15
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. View Post
Thanks! I just need to make sure the wire for the post cat sensor will be long enough. Have you, or anyone you know done this successfully?
I just did this on my M. A little differnt because it is dual not single,but most euro Bmw's have downstream cats. The o2 sensor harness goes across the engine to the exhaust side. You keep precat sensors there,and slit the loom apart to get the post cat wires out. Put a new loom on them and drop them down the intake side of the engine. It is very quick and easy. There is almost 3ft of wire this way and should easily reach your post cat sensor cables.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:23 AM   #16
Jackcat559

My Ride: 2003 530
I did this set up with JetHot2000 coated, SuperSprint headers. Part of the trick is a good hi flow cat, and getting it as close to the engine as possible. Any improper fitment, or leaks before the cat, will cause a code to be thrown.
Jackcat559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #17
TxZHP04

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdmikey View Post
TxZHP04, how are those working? Do you like them; are they effective/give the desired results?
They accomplished what I needed them too. From an emissions perspective they are 100% compatible, no codes or issues with readiness monitors - they truly are "direct fit", plug and play.

From a performance perspective, things are somewhat less clear. While I did not see what I would consider a significant change in peak hp (maybe 5 hp near 7k rpm), the larger primaries and higher flowing cats did resolve an issue I was having with my supercharger setup. In my case, the overly restrictive stock manifolds/cats were making it difficult for the engine to evacuate the cylinders on the exhaust stroke and this ultimately led to timing being pulled and a loss of as much as 25 hp and 15 ft-lb between 5k and 6k rpm. The MagnaFlow headers resolved this dip and made a marginal increase in peak hp, even though ambient test conditions were somewhat less favorable (92 deg baseline, 100 deg after). In this regard I'd say the swap was a complete success.

I don't think I've seen before and after dynos of these headers on a NA setup so not sure if they would see more or less gains than I did with the TS. I would expect that a quality set of cat-less headers, and possibly even a setup with headers with cats after the merge as discussed earlier in this thread, would outperform the MagnaFlow headers in both NA and FI applications - but this hasn't been dyno proven.

Last edited by TxZHP04; 04-28-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #18
xdmikey

Supercharger?

Is supercharging a way to keep my headers and get more umph from my motor?
I'm interested in this. Any info you can pass along or things to read would be greatly appreciated! Especially from someone not wanting to sell me something.
Tia
Michael
Old 04-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #19
Jackcat559

My Ride: 2003 530
That's kind of a back wards question. You will get more power from headers either way. Supercharging will yield more horsepower from the headers.
Jackcat559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #20
xdmikey

Jackcat559, I want to keep my headers and have more power. I think it was turbocharging that would delete my headers.
Obviously, this is new to me(freeing up horsepower).
Educate me on this; pm if you want to(probably better).