E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2002, 09:18 PM   #1
stanmo
MMM

My Ride: 996
Send a message via ICQ to stanmo
KW Varient 2

Hi Guys,

I am going to order KW Varient 2 tomorrow. I heard FTHM said that it'll leak or something like that. Is that very serious and has it happened to anyone on this board? Or should I get PSS9 instead? Please share your input!

Thanks.
stanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-15-2002, 09:23 PM   #2
bender
hammer talks like this

My Ride: 2006 Honda insight
Send a message via AIM to bender
I think I also mentioned that KW said they haven't fixxed it yet either.. thats kinda iffie
bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 09:24 PM   #3
bender
hammer talks like this

My Ride: 2006 Honda insight
Send a message via AIM to bender
I mean he mentioned
bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 09:25 PM   #4
stanmo
MMM

umm... what do you guys think about this?

if it really leaks, i can get it repaired under warranty right? but those koni shocks are supposed to be one of the best in the industry.
Old 04-15-2002, 11:04 PM   #5
Full Time Hit Man
Banned

My Ride: E46
Send a message via AIM to Full Time Hit Man
Just want until they switch over to the new shock. They told me is gonna happen October. Or they might change to it earlier because the summer is coming and everyone wants to start moding their cars.
Full Time Hit Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 11:07 PM   #6
Craig
The G.O.A.T. is Baccckkkkk!

My Ride: 09' AW E92 335i
I've never heard of any issues with leaking shocks on the Koni's used for KW's or FK's
Old 04-15-2002, 11:15 PM   #7
pix335i
Mod Junkie

My Ride: 2007 335i Coupe
Re: KW Varient 2

Quote:
Originally posted by stanmo
Hi Guys,

I am going to order KW Varient 2 tomorrow. I heard FTHM said that it'll leak or something like that. Is that very serious and has it happened to anyone on this board? Or should I get PSS9 instead? Please share your input!

Thanks.
We talked to KW today and they said it is not an issue. You should be fine with the KWs
Old 04-16-2002, 12:07 AM   #8
John from jersey
Creation awaits

My Ride: Gallardo, CLS55
Quote:
Originally posted by Full Time Hit Man
Just want until they switch over to the new shock. They told me is gonna happen October. Or they might change to it earlier because the summer is coming and everyone wants to start moding their cars.

Highly doubt u had talked to a rep that said what u say

The rep was at the show "rep"resenting/promoting their product lineup... I find it VERY hard to believe, if even they were to switch to a different shock, that he would let that kinda info get to the consumer. Those kinda changes are debuted at shows like SEMA. I think what you are assuming to believe was the V2, was not...but i have a feeling the guy was telling you about the Variant 3 .....which have to use a different type of shock for THREE WAY adjustabilty, NOT because the Koni's leak..

They just completed the V2 for the E46M3, for the 3er in 2001, and soon to be for the cab e46M3. All of which are and will continue to use Koni adjustables. Now why would they disuade the consumer of a new product? You sure you werent drinking at the time

I hate false info........

Last edited by John from jersey; 04-16-2002 at 12:16 AM.
John from jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 12:14 AM   #9
jestr
is bester

My Ride: '02 Steel Grey 325i
The vender at HIN was KW Suspensions,
www.kwsuspensions.com

I spoke with them too, they're based in Canada. He's from the store that you get the number off the website. I dont know if its the KW official website, but it sure looks like it?
I dont know about the faulty shocks comment, but I know how to change the stiffness for front and back now! I gotta take off the rear shock :sad:
jestr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 12:18 AM   #10
John from jersey
Creation awaits

Quote:
Originally posted by jestr
The vender at HIN was KW Suspensions,
www.kwsuspensions.com

I spoke with them too, they're based in Canada. He's from the store that you get the number off the website. I dont know if its the KW official website, but it sure looks like it?
I dont know about the faulty shocks comment, but I know how to change the stiffness for front and back now! I gotta take off the rear shock :sad:
thats the NA website

here is the main one...
www.kw-gmbh.de
Old 04-16-2002, 02:21 AM   #11
Imola Ed
That's a lot of nuts!

My Ride: Formerly:2002 ACS M3
Send a message via AIM to Imola Ed
Quote:
Originally posted by John from jersey
I find it VERY hard to believe, if even they were to switch to a different shock, that he would let that kinda info get to the consumer.
I would tend to agree. It's very odd for someone to say "our product is defective. Wait and buy it later." That would kill their sales! Not a smart business move.
Old 04-16-2002, 02:32 AM   #12
Full Time Hit Man
Banned

My Ride: E46
Send a message via AIM to Full Time Hit Man
Well, if you guys don't believe me. Just call 1-888-530-1433 and ask for Glen Messinger. He told me that there is a gasket problem that will result in leaking. And I talked to him for a long time before he told me this. I asked him is it true there is a problem with the Koni shock and he didn't say "YES". But he said "we have had a known problem with the Koni shock gasket" and he told me to wait 6 months and will switch over to the AL-KO. They are from HPA the North America Dealer and is located where I'm. If you want, I can call him tomorrow and try to record the conversation and post it up! Man, I feel like I have been known for posting false info! Damn, next time, if you guys don't believe me, I will try to provide the number and name for the person you can contact and go harass them, don't harass me!

Btw, I don't know why you guys felt like this when people are willing to tell you their product have problem and need to be upgrade or replace. They tell you because they treat you as a valuable customer. They can always just sell you crap without telling you they have problems. And when you go back, they can say is your driving habit that break the shocks. If I'm the sales rep, I won't mind telling you, it will affect the sales at the show, but it will help in long run when people have good reputation on your product and doesnt' have to go buy new one every few years. Business is long run, not for one day or one show.

Do whatever you want on the car, I'm not trying to prevent you from ordering from the e46store or from HPA or KW/FK. I respect their product, I even consider buying them back a year ago when deciding between the PSS9! I just don't want a fellow fanatics got a product and is unhappy about it few years later.

Last edited by Full Time Hit Man; 04-16-2002 at 02:41 AM.
Full Time Hit Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 02:36 AM   #13
Imola Ed
That's a lot of nuts!

Quote:
Originally posted by Full Time Hit Man [/i]
Well, if you guys don't believe me. Just call 1-888-530-1433 and ask for Glen Messinger. He told me that there is a gasket problem that will result in leaking. And I talked to him for a long time before he told me this. I asked him is it true there is a problem with the Koni shock and he didn't say "YES". But he said "we have had a known problem with the Koni shock gasket" and he told me to wait 6 months and will swithc over to the AL-KP. They are from HPA the North America Dealer and is located where I'm. If you want, I can call him tomorrow and try to record the conversation and post it up! Man, I feel like I have been known for posting false info! Damn, next time, if you guys don't believe me, I will try to provide the number and name for the person you can contact and go harass them, don't harass me!
I for one am not trying to harsh on ya. It just struck me odd is all.
Old 04-16-2002, 02:41 AM   #14
stanmo
MMM

what actually happens when it leaks? and how do you know? thanks again!
Old 04-16-2002, 03:25 AM   #15
JikJak

My Ride: 02M3cab03duc74904sti
i spoke to glen of KW as well. turns out that he is a good friend of a buddy of mine. i can get a good price from him if anyone is interested. anyways i asked about the leak and he said that there wont be any leaks coz they changed the gasket already for the coils. there was a lengthier explanation but i forgot the rest. he was referring to coilover set for the e46 m3 cab. so im assuming that they are variant 2's. they should be out in a few weeks.
2002 M3 Cab (bye)
JikJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 03:35 AM   #16
stanmo
MMM

Wow! Thanks for the info.

BTW, can you please tell me what price can you get it for via PM or something like that? Thanks.
Old 04-16-2002, 04:16 AM   #17
CruizinKO
I Drive A Lemon

My Ride: Is A Beater
Hey JikJak, can you please EMail me? Thank you!
CruizinKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 11:48 AM   #18
Imola Ed
That's a lot of nuts!

Quote:
Originally posted by JikJak [/i]
i spoke to glen of KW as well. turns out that he is a good friend of a buddy of mine. i can get a good price from him if anyone is interested. anyways i asked about the leak and he said that there wont be any leaks coz they changed the gasket already for the coils. there was a lengthier explanation but i forgot the rest. he was referring to coilover set for the e46 m3 cab. so im assuming that they are variant 2's. they should be out in a few weeks.
Ah, now it all fits together. It's in an upcoming product they're working on. Sure, there's gonna be problems during development. The ones that are out are fine. Communication problem.

Where did the original post by FTHM go, btw? Deleted?
Old 04-16-2002, 02:40 PM   #19
John from jersey
Creation awaits

Quote:
Originally posted by Imola Ed

Ah, now it all fits together. It's in an upcoming product they're working on. Sure, there's gonna be problems during development. The ones that are out are fine. Communication problem.

Bingo! glad we can iron out the false info..thats what great about this board
Old 04-16-2002, 03:10 PM   #20
sgv321

My Ride: 328
Go with Ground Control. Height adj. Optional Ride adj. and you can specify your spring rates to customize your coilover setup.
sgv321 is offline   Reply With Quote