E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
20vector

My Ride: 2000 323i
programming cluster

hello all, first i wanted to put out there that when i run my bmw scanner 140 it comes up about not able to file something, also that " coding error on ZCS/FA". on other errors states that theres errors on can instrument cluster. wanted to know what i had to do to reprogram my instrument cluster. few of my gauges dont work and cant get a/c to work either. plan on getting used one if programming this one dont work. also wanted to know exactly how to reprogram the used one when i get it.thanks in advance
20vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:28 PM   #2
20vector

ok guys think i may have found some issues not for sure tho. when i first run scanner program " IKE:ZCS/FA reading error " comes up. i also noticed that when in scanning program that numbers aint matching up when i compare "DME" page and "IKE" cluster page. not for sure if those numbers are suppose to match up or not? hardware numbers dont match up, software dont, and CAN dont. also on the "DME" page for the errors come up 1) DME-EWS interface. 2) Signal, CAN EGS. 3) Signal, CAN instrument cluster 2. 4) Signal, CAN instrument cluster 3. I pressed "coding" just to see what showed up and it popped up wanting a file to use to do coding. Also i pressed "Program" to see and it also wanted me to open file to use to program. so i dont have any files to open to code or program my instrument cluster. could someone please help me out? thanks in advance
Old 04-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
20vector

another questions guys. if i get used cluster how will i be able to input my VIN to the cluster? can i do it with the scanner?
Old 04-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
CaptainOversteer

My Ride: Has three pedals
If you're not sure what you're doing this isn't something you should mess with. When you say "scanner" what are you using?

Now Coding Cars in the Burlington,VT/Plattsburgh, NY area - PM if needed
BMWCCA # 461124

1986 325 - SOLD
2002 325ci - gone :(
CaptainOversteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
20vector

using bmw scanner 140. just got done using it again and see answer to other questions i had. while i was on it while ago tried to read coding on the IKE and error came up saying unable to retrieve coding. everything else i was able to. do yall think this means the IKE is bad or is there something else i need to do?
Old 04-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #6
mxchris727

My Ride: E46, E39, E90, 911..
Send a message via ICQ to mxchris727 Send a message via AIM to mxchris727 Send a message via MSN to mxchris727
Sorry, but I can not understand you. If you are having any sort of electrical or software problems, please bring your car to a dealership to be fixed. Do not attempt at coding unless you completely understand how the BMW K-Bus synchronizes and how BMW Scanner works.

I have a computer set up with DIS, TIS, SSS Progman, INPA, NCS Expert, WinKFP, Tool32 and PASoft with an EDIABAS interface; PM me if you want to stop by and code your car.
ISTA/D and /P with an iCOMM interface coming soon...
mxchris727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:21 PM   #7
CaptainOversteer

My Ride: Has three pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchris727 View Post
Sorry, but I can not understand you. If you are having any sort of electrical or software problems, please bring your car to a dealership to be fixed. Do not attempt at coding unless you completely understand how the BMW K-Bus synchronizes and how BMW Scanner works.
+1 I can't quite understand your problem. Also, did you have any issues before you stared playing around with BMW Scanner?

Now Coding Cars in the Burlington,VT/Plattsburgh, NY area - PM if needed
BMWCCA # 461124

1986 325 - SOLD
2002 325ci - gone :(
CaptainOversteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #8
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
I don't know what you are trying to do with BMW scanner 1.40(it is not 140) re-programming the cluster.

If you are trying to write the mileage/vin that would be a bad idea. It will give you a tamper dot on your mileage reading. Also the mileage is actually recorded in LCM and the cluster takes it from there. Anything like that should be handled by the dealer to avoid any further legal issues as you will have paper work to prove it.

Now, if you are only trying to reset/set some functions then, you need a 20-pin adapter that is connected to the round port under the hood for the BMW scanner 1.40 to code.
Normal USB OBDII cable will not allow you to program certain modules in your car without the 20 pin adapter.
2001+ cars have only OBDII port, but prior to that our cars came with the round port under the hood for programming.

There is a thread for bmw scanner 1.40, post there.

Last edited by trj; 04-24-2012 at 11:33 AM.
trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:57 AM   #9
Kayoige

My Ride: 2000 323I
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
Now, if you are only trying to reset/set some functions then, you need a 20-pin adapter that is connected to the round port under the hood for the BMW scanner 1.40 to code.
Normal USB OBDII cable will not allow you to program certain modules in your car without the 20 pin adapter.
2001+ cars have only OBDII port, but prior to that our cars came with the round port under the hood for programming.

There is a thread for bmw scanner 1.40, post there.
Spot on! I think this is your issue. You need the 20 pin connector that goes under the hood or you can't access the BMW modules. they can be had on ebay for dirt cheap, if you want it sooner order it from a seller in the US.
Kayoige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #10
20vector

what it is that A/C clutch not engaging and few gauges not working. when i scan car its not coming up with the coding from the instrument cluster. in fact soon as i start scan it says error reading IKE: ZCS/FA. somebody told me instrument cluster probably done. so i ordered used one off ebay. and when i get it want to enter my VIN and correct mileage on it. read if i didnt enter this stuff i would get the tamper light. my main thing is the A/C working really care less about the mileage and putting my VIN in to it. do i need to do something different?
Old 04-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #11
zbi701

My Ride: E46 318i
Did you follow what trj and Kayoige suggested? Your problem could be as simple as plugging your scanner in the correct connector. But then, there is NO way you can program (change the milage and VIN) on a used cluster.
zbi701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #12
20vector

yeah im using the connector under the hood. even tho i cant put my mileage and my VIN will my A/c work? like i said dont care if i get tamper light. down here in the south we gotta have A/C. thanks again in advance.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #13
trj

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20vector View Post
yeah im using the connector under the hood. even tho i cant put my mileage and my VIN will my A/c work? like i said dont care if i get tamper light. down here in the south we gotta have A/C. thanks again in advance.
Yes you can check the ac with the cable. Go to dme and go I live data. See if the Ac becomes green when you turn the ac on.

Also some scanners need 2 pins to be bridged. I don't remember the pin numbers. But worth a check. Just open the box and see if the last 2 pins are soldered together. If not u have to solder them together. There is a thread on it. I am on my phone so can't really search the link.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:25 AM   #14
20vector

i remember seeing few pictures couple weeks ago with somebody soldering 2 pins together. but couldnt remember why they were doing this. why exactly do you have to solder the 2 pins? i looked for awhile tring to find the forum that i seen but couldnt find it. i cant even remember what i was reading when that one come up. i opened mine up and there were no pins jumped together. what wont scanner let me do without those pins connected? thanks brotha in advance
Old 04-26-2012, 01:39 AM   #15
zbi701

My Ride: E46 318i
Are you talking about this thread http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=14212423

See post no #378 by delmarco

Last edited by zbi701; 04-26-2012 at 06:46 PM.
zbi701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #16
trj

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbi701 View Post
Are talking about this thread http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=14212423

See post no #378 by delmarco
Yup. Those are the pins to be soldered.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #17
20vector

have one problem. got cluster today. installed and ran bmw scanner. was able to put correct mileage for the car in. then went to "write FGSTNR" to enter my VIN. Entered my VIN from my car and pushed ok and this comes up "for this algorithm use the function " FACTORY DEFAULTS " and then write FGSTNR" . what do i need to do? when i turn on key i see correct mileage i entered. i see when i press "write FGSTNR" the menu that comes up has a "FACTORY DEFAULTS RESET " but its not darken and not able to choose it. hook a brotha up. thanks in advance
Old 04-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #18
20vector

also wanted to add that the instrument cluster that i took out that wasnt working was not the the original. when i scanned it, it said it was from 2006 and my car is a 2000. that cluster had communication issues. error reading IKE:ZCS/FA , would come up when scanned and stuff didnt work. the used cluster i just got the stuff works. do yall think i can use the codes i read and saved from 1 thats working and code it to 1 thats not in hopes maybe it'll start working? or if i read eeprom from 1 thats working and save it then write it to 1 thats not working will that possible fix it? thanks everybody in advance... Just tring to get schooled here.

** Just read something about when you enter your VIN in to a cluster that you could only do that twice. So if you installed 2 clusters already that the next time PA soft wouldnt be able to install your VIN? Is that true? Read bunch of stuff about inputting your VIN in to clusters and never read this before. Then when i wasnt able to input mine in the used cluster started searching around forums and read this post. Was wondering if this was true or not? Wondering if this is why i cant input VIN in to cluster i just got?thanks again

Last edited by 20vector; 04-26-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #19
20vector

another thing i wanted to mention was that my DSC light is staying on. Is this because it senses the wrong VIN coded in the instrument cluster? somebody mentioned that to me but they didnt know for sure. The ABS or BRAKE light not on just the DSC yellow indicator.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #20
trj

Sorry Vector, I have not done anything like writing the VIN or miles on the cluster so I can't really give you any advice here. And it is not legal to change the miles in the odo without proper paperwork, that is why you are not getting much response in this thread. I have read some time back on the PA soft BMW scanner thread that someone was able did similar stuff by writing miles off the LCM to a new odo(similar to your situation). Go through that thread and PM him.
Our cars are sensitive so I would not want to tell you to try something and **** up a good odo you got.

About the DSC, your wheel speed sensors might be the reason.
You should post the scan codes and descriptions so we can know what exactly is wrong.