E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #61
brew

My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
That is a whole different topic. Much of that stuff is restricted from any civilian use because of military application. Law Enforcement can use limited explosives, but there are regulations that outline what can be used and how it must be used. All LE personnel using explosives must meet stringent training standards.
Some explosives have legally made it out to the civilian commercial market in the AOW class, but it's been very limited. There are also explosives available for use with the correct permits for professional use, such as construction, demolition, mining, etc. All that is regulated differently, and it's more similar to restricted chemicals than it is with firearms.
Here's the ATF page regarding becoming a Federal Explosives Licensee: http://www.atf.gov/explosives/how-to/become-an-fel.html

A limited intrastate license (for buying and using dynamite, etc. solely within my state) costs $25.

If I plan to use explosives for pest control, I would also need to get a permit from the State Fire Marshal.
brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #62
brew

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailo View Post
clift notes anybody?
OP bought a hex receiver Mosin Nagant 91/30 at his very first gun show (paid $159 with 20 rounds of ammo) and came here asking general questions about shooting it and remarking on how easy it was to buy guns at a gun show.

Someone else posted a cool picture of an advertisement for a case of 20 91/30's for $1,230.

Other than that there's just a bunch of random talk about why people should be able to buy guns (in case someone is trying to rape and kill their kids) and why they shouldn't (because crazy people will go on crazy killing rampages).
Old 04-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #63
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Quote:
clift notes anybody?
Liberals trying to bait an argument by quoting individual sentences until they find some nugget that they can grasp to prove whatever point they are trying to make, which is usually something along the lines of "Guns are bad and shouldn't be a right. They should only be available after some agent of the government stamps their approval." I think. I usually skip over most of this crap.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #64
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Busa's House

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:01 PM   #65
tailo

My Ride: 02 330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
Liberals trying to bait an argument by quoting individual sentences until they find some nugget that they can grasp to prove whatever point they are trying to make, which is usually something along the lines of "Guns are bad and shouldn't be a right. They should only be available after some agent of the government stamps their approval." I think. I usually skip over most of this crap.
It's kinda hard to kill somebody with a spoon, we need guns.
tailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #66
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
Busa's House

Unlikely. I don't own a gun. Not that I wouldn't. If I had extra money, I might do it for fun.

The problem is how strongly you feel about this and other topics. It's always an all-or-nothing proposition with you? Don't you see that might be a bit unreasonable and illogical?
Old 04-25-2012, 05:23 PM   #67
tailo

Quote:
Unlikely. I don't own a gun. Not that I wouldn't. If I had extra money, I might do it for fun.

The problem is how strongly you feel about this and other topics. It's always an all-or-nothing proposition with you? Don't you see that might be a bit unreasonable and illogical?
unreasonable and illogical, nobodies ever said that about me....lmfao

mk211 raufoss, do a little research on how much these are worth I've got more in 1 of those boxes than my e46 330I is worth.

Last edited by tailo; 04-25-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:33 PM   #68
tailo

The real question is, as a liberal why do you care what somebody else has? I for one could care less what kind of life style they live.

As long as you behave your self, dont associate with rednecks, or screw somebodies wife you can live your whole life with out ever coming in contact with any guns.

EDIT"""

This thread kind of reminds me of something. When my wife was a kid her faimly used to go to a video rental store/army surplus/uhaul store. I kid you not, heres a link to the place, look at the pics and the name of the store.

http://www.uhaul.com/Locations/Renta...A-24073/043518

2 years ago I went inside and near the roof on a wall above some war movies was a nagant with a rusty bolt (blued steel was in good shape though) the stock was missing the cleaning rod/somebody had whiddled down that area with a knife to make it smooth and the barrel was a sewer pipe. She told me it had been on the wall since before she could remember...

I got in a conversation with the guy, I hated to see a rifle literally screwed to the wall with wood screws. I paid $250 just to get that rifle off the wall. I figure I'll make a pistol (SBR) out of it some day.

Last edited by tailo; 04-25-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #69
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpass View Post
So non-violent felons should be able to have guns but some guy that got charged with a sex crime for public urination shouldn't?
There has been talk about modifying the guidelines of which felonies would be disqualifiers. While I consider about 98% of felonies to be reasonable for disqualification, there are some areas where I do agree that there needs some scrutiny and review.

Each state is different, but in MN, you can't be classified as a Predatory Offender (sex offender) if you get caught urinating in public. At least not for the first conviction. There's a difference between indecent exposure and criminal sexual conduct. Again, state dependent.
Now, if you're done whizzing, and you're shaking it dry for 5 minutes...that's a whole other story.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #70
deadpass

My Ride: 01 330i
Quote:
There has been talk about modifying the guidelines of which felonies would be disqualifiers. While I consider about 98% of felonies to be reasonable for disqualification, there are some areas where I do agree that there needs some scrutiny and review.

Each state is different, but in MN, you can't be classified as a Predatory Offender (sex offender) if you get caught urinating in public. At least not for the first conviction. There's a difference between indecent exposure and criminal sexual conduct. Again, state dependent.
Now, if you're done whizzing, and you're shaking it dry for 5 minutes...that's a whole other story.

My main issue with sex offenses is when things go wrong (like public urination). Sure rapists, pedos, molesters, they should all just be hung, but there are places that play fast and loose with "sex crimes" and many people can't afford a proper defense.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:24 AM   #71
'busa

Quote:
The real question is, as a liberal why do you care what somebody else has? I for one could care less what kind of life style they live.
I care more about the thought process, really. This "all or nothing" thing is really interesting to me. "My cold dead hands", yadda, yadda, yadda...

Furthermore, every gun nut out there is screaming about how Obama wants to take away their weapons. When that doesn't happen, but the opposite happens (your gun rights have expanded under Obama), they claim to know his mind and that it's all just part of a master plan. I can't be the only one this sounds ridiculous to, can I?

Quote:
As long as you behave your self, dont associate with rednecks, or screw somebodies wife you can live your whole life with out ever coming in contact with any guns.
More or less what I'm saying. So why do we all need to be armed, according to JJ?

Last edited by 'busa; 04-26-2012 at 08:25 AM.
'busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #72
MrWesson

My Ride: 01 330CI/09 328i
Quote:
I care more about the thought process, really. This "all or nothing" thing is really interesting to me. "My cold dead hands", yadda, yadda, yadda...

Furthermore, every gun nut out there is screaming about how Obama wants to take away their weapons. When that doesn't happen, but the opposite happens (your gun rights have expanded under Obama), they claim to know his mind and that it's all just part of a master plan. I can't be the only one this sounds ridiculous to, can I?

More or less what I'm saying. So why do we all need to be armed, according to JJ?
Its silly to think that you can avoid being a victim by not associating with certain people or environments..

I will say that some situational awareness and tact can get you very far in this world but I prefer to have a fire extinguisher rather than take all preemptive actions just to watch my house burn because I didn't have one.
MrWesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:30 AM   #73
'busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWesson View Post
Its silly to think that you can avoid being a victim by not associating with certain people or environments..
Nothing is 100% guaranteed, but statistically speaking, I do not need to live in terror just yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWesson View Post
I will say that some situational awareness and tact can get you very far in this world but I prefer to have a fire extinguisher rather than take all preemptive actions just to watch my house burn because I didn't have one.
A fire extinguisher costs $15, requires no training, is not primarily designed to injure or kill, can not be easily abused and has few side-effects. Let's not compare an instrument used to kill with insurance, seat belts and fire extinguishers.

I have nothing against you having weapons. I just don't understand the "hands completely off" approach some are advocating.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #74
tailo

Hey, I live in a nice neighborhood and were having issues with people coming from different parts and breaking in to cars and houses.

IF I had to use a FE to fight off somebody, id probably bash there heads in with it until they stop moving. Putting somebody on the ground for good is the only way to stop the threat and insure your safety.

I'm sorta a lazy guy, fighting somebody off with a less than lethal object seems like a lot of work to me. A .45 is much easier.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:16 AM   #75
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

Quote:

Need is dictated by necessity. Should everyone possess the ability to protect/defend themselves? Yes

Never said everyone has to... but the choice should never be removed.
You can choose not to arm yourself. You are gambling that you'll never need a weapon. You might lose that gamble one day. I hate gambling.

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #76
MrWesson

My Ride: 01 330CI/09 328i
Quote:
Nothing is 100% guaranteed, but statistically speaking, I do not need to live in terror just yet.

A fire extinguisher costs $15, requires no training, is not primarily designed to injure or kill, can not be easily abused and has few side-effects. Let's not compare an instrument used to kill with insurance, seat belts and fire extinguishers.

I have nothing against you having weapons. I just don't understand the "hands completely off" approach some are advocating.

That's the difference that I see it as a tool that provides safety regardless of the effects it has on someone who wishes to harm or kill me. You sympathize with the harm caused by that tool in the hands of evil or horrible people enough to let it influence your decision or opinion when someone holds the same tool with understandable decent intentions.

I choose to compare it to seatbelt or fire extinguisher because that's what it means to me regardless of what it is capable of doing in the wrong hands.

I would never wish that you ever have to be put in a position to question your stand on ownership or carrying a firearm. But maybe place yourself in the shoes of someone who had to or understand why someonelike me would carry everyday.

Last edited by MrWesson; 04-26-2012 at 01:03 PM.
MrWesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #77
brew

Quote:

This thread kind of reminds me of something. When my wife was a kid her faimly used to go to a video rental store/army surplus/uhaul store. I kid you not, heres a link to the place, look at the pics and the name of the store.

http://www.uhaul.com/Locations/Renta...A-24073/043518

2 years ago I went inside and near the roof on a wall above some war movies was a nagant with a rusty bolt (blued steel was in good shape though) the stock was missing the cleaning rod/somebody had whiddled down that area with a knife to make it smooth and the barrel was a sewer pipe. She told me it had been on the wall since before she could remember...

I got in a conversation with the guy, I hated to see a rifle literally screwed to the wall with wood screws. I paid $250 just to get that rifle off the wall. I figure I'll make a pistol (SBR) out of it some day.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #78
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

Quote:
Also, knifes are awesome when you want to go on a knifing rampage. Except they're not.
I thought of you Busa

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top...RhrWCM9dQ.cspx

Quote:
Police say right now they have no idea what caused the suspect to go on the dangerous rampage.

A citizen with a gun stopped a knife wielding man as he began stabbing people

Police say the suspect purchased a knife inside the store and then turned it into a weapon. Smith's employee Dorothy Espinoza says, "He pulled it out and stood outside the Smiths in the foyer. And just started stabbing people and yelling you killed my people. You killed my people."

Quote:
you can't say that the shootings would have had the same number of dead and injured if the perpetrators had used knives.
Quote:
"There is blood all over. One got stabbed in the stomach and got stabbed in the head and held his hands and got stabbed all over the arms."
Then, before the suspect could find another victim - a citizen with a gun stopped the madness. "A guy pulled gun on him and told him to drop his weapon or he would shoot him. So, he dropped his weapon and the people from Smith's grabbed him."
Quote:
By the time officers arrived the suspect had been subdued by employees and shoppers. Police had high praise for gun carrying man who ended the hysteria. Lt. Brian Purvis said, "This was a volatile situation that could have gotten worse. We can only assume from what we saw it could have gotten worse. He was definitely in the right place at the right time."
Police got there......when it was all over, huh? Would've been much worse if the citizen with a gun wasn't there? huh?

Quote:
Dozens of other shoppers, who too could have become victims, are also thankful for the gun carrying man. And many, like Danylle Julian, are still in shock from the experience. "Scary actually. Really scary. Five minutes before I walk out to my car. It could have been me."
DOZENS more could've been hurt or killed

And oh look... a citizen carrying a firearm stopped it before even more people could be hurt by a.......... knife rampage. Typical... police fail to show up in time, Thank goodness this citizen was using his 2nd Amendment right!

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 04-28-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #79
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
An FBI study done throughout the 90's indicated that ~17% of GSWs were fatal, while ~21% of knife wounds were fatal. Not only that, but knifing someone makes very little noise. Knives have been used for thousands of years for silent assassinations and just outright assaults. The lethality of an object is dependent upon the user, not the instrument. However, none of those can come close to matching the lethality of one of the most dangerous weapons in the US- the car. What is it- 32,800 motor vehicle crash fatalities in 2010 in the US? Seems like we should be having more of a regulatory problem and scrutiny with our Bimmers than we should with our guns...

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #80
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

Quote:
An FBI study done throughout the 90's indicated that ~17% of GSWs were fatal, while ~21% of knife wounds were fatal. Not only that, but knifing someone makes very little noise. Knives have been used for thousands of years for silent assassinations and just outright assaults. The lethality of an object is dependent upon the user, not the instrument. However, none of those can come close to matching the lethality of one of the most dangerous weapons in the US- the car. What is it- 32,800 motor vehicle crash fatalities in 2010 in the US? Seems like we should be having more of a regulatory problem and scrutiny with our Bimmers than we should with our guns...
Who needs to look at numbers, statistics are hard studies when we can rely on.... emotions and fear mongering?

I've seen people get shot and I've seen people get stabbed. I almost would prefer to get shot lol

Stabbing creeps me out! Ever since I watched this scene

1:00 mark

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 04-28-2012 at 12:22 PM.