E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
l8apex10

My Ride: ZHP, E36 M3
Koni sports w/ OEM ZHP springs

Has anyone run Koni adjustable (yellow) Sport shocks/ struts with the OEM ZHP / Sport package springs?

- Intersested in feedback on this set-up
- Any impact to ride height (believe there should be none)?
- Recommended settings for street application?

Thanks!
l8apex10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by l8apex10 View Post
Has anyone run Koni adjustable (yellow) Sport shocks/ struts with the OEM ZHP / Sport package springs?

- Intersested in feedback on this set-up
- Any impact to ride height (believe there should be none)?
- Recommended settings for street application?

Thanks!

No, I haven't run them with BMW ZHP springs, just on an older race car. But they will work perfectly with those springs when set to the softer settings. You should see NO ride height difference. The Koni Sports are an excellent choice in this application because you can set them on a softer setting to work well with your stock springs. If & when you upgrade to a higher performance spring (higher spring rate) you'll just turn up the damper adjustment to match the new higher performance springs. Buy them, you'll really enjoy them.

Take a look at the most current Koni USA adjustment procedure.

http://www.koni-na.com/adjustment.cfm

Good luck,
Rob.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
smolck

My Ride: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Here you go:

Read through the whole thing, there are several updates along the way. IMO, they are EXCELLENT with the ZHP springs.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=608290

Check my Youtube channel for DIY's and fun stuff
http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee
smolck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
alpine003

My Ride: BMW
I've ran the OTS Koni Yellows with Sport package springs before on my last sedan and they were indeed excellent. One of the best rides I've experienced on a e46 for all around performance vs. comfort. IIRC, my settings were pretty low like 2f/1r. Turned them up on an Autocross and was amazed on how stiff it could get.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:00 PM   #5
PGas32

My Ride: '04 ZHP
Sorry to revive such an old post, but I figure it's better than starting my own on the same topic...

When I purchased my ZHP over two years and 32k mile ago, it came with Tein coilovers. One has been blown for a while so I finally decided to install the Koni Yellows and stock ZHP springs that I got from the previous owner. After swapping everything over and replacing a few wear items while I was in there, I finally dropped the car off the jack stands and couldn't believe the front wheel gap...I understand that the springs may take some time to settle, but I can literally fit my entire hand in between the tire and fender. I know that stock ZHP's don't ride this high. Can I expect this to settle down over the next few days, or do I need to reexamine how I assembled everything? I'm reluctant to go get the car aligned until I'm confident that everything is installed properly.

Thanks
PGas32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:10 PM   #6
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGas32 View Post
Sorry to revive such an old post, but I figure it's better than starting my own on the same topic...

When I purchased my ZHP over two years and 32k mile ago, it came with Tein coilovers. One has been blown for a while so I finally decided to install the Koni Yellows and stock ZHP springs that I got from the previous owner. After swapping everything over and replacing a few wear items while I was in there, I finally dropped the car off the jack stands and couldn't believe the front wheel gap...I understand that the springs may take some time to settle, but I can literally fit my entire hand in between the tire and fender. I know that stock ZHP's don't ride this high. Can I expect this to settle down over the next few days, or do I need to reexamine how I assembled everything? I'm reluctant to go get the car aligned until I'm confident that everything is installed properly.

Thanks

My thought is that you did everything right.

There's a Big difference between coilovers that are adjusted low, compared to stock OE sport springs. I have no doubt that you can jam your hand up in there, they might settle a little, but don't expect much. If you can't get use to this after a month or so, your best bet would be a set of either H&R Race springs, Eibach Sportline springs, or Vogtland Sport springs. All of these springs will get you very close, if not all the way back to where you were.

Give it some time,
Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:25 PM   #7
PGas32

Thanks. I've done this a few times before so I'd be somewhat surprised if I assembled something incorrectly. Hopefully it just needs a few days to settle out. I'll just cruise around in 4x4 mode in the meantime
Old 08-19-2014, 09:40 PM   #8
riverwolf

My Ride: 2005 330Cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGas32 View Post

Thanks
This post has a scan of the Bentley page with OEM ride height specs by suspension and wheel size along with proper measurement procedure.

I have new OEM springs and Koni Sports sitting in the garage waiting to be installed. Weather hasn't be cooperative the past few weekends. I'll try to remember to follow-up when I finally do get them installed.

-Brent

Last edited by riverwolf; 08-19-2014 at 09:41 PM.
riverwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:09 AM   #9
PGas32

Thanks guys. I drove it around a bit yesterday and it has definitely settled down a little. Part it certainly has to do with the fact that the car was so low for the past 2 years, so seeing it at stock height is a shock!

Tags
koni, shocks, sport, springs, zhp