E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
schulmann

My Ride: BMW 330ci
Looking for budget track suspension package

I have a 330ci that I mainly use for lapping. The car is registered but I don't use it much on the street.

At present I have a $900 Bilstein H&R suspension package on my car. This winter I have upgraded the stock swaybars to Hotchiks.

The improvement with the new swaybars was truly deceiving.

Is there a budget track suspension option for the 330ci ? I want to have much firmer springs and shocks to reduce body roll.

I don't want to spend $4000 on a pure race suspension. I would rather buy an M3.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Ground Control has their setups on sale right now. Track/School = $1749 with camber plates.

Well, maybe they aren't on sale, but it's a decent price for a kit.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
Ethaniscool

My Ride: Cars
How about adding stiffer bushings to the whole suspension system?

At that price, Id look into KW V2's

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Cyrus View Post
strike three watch your back
Ethaniscool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
PerkM3
Account Under Review

My Ride: 2004 SG M3 ESS-550
Hit up Ryan@GF-Performance he is a sponsor here and can set you up with a set of BC-Racing coils. They are great for someone that is on a budget but wants a coilover setup.
PerkM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Is there a budget track suspension option for the 330ci ?
FK Konigsports or FK SilverLine Plus X both use Koni adjustable shocks (great quality and easy to dial in), the Konigsports are very budget friendly. You can check out both HERE

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!

Last edited by ECSTuning; 04-23-2012 at 04:48 PM.
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieE46 View Post
Ground Control has their setups on sale right now. Track/School = $1749 with camber plates.

Well, maybe they aren't on sale, but it's a decent price for a kit.

This.

Good luck.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #7
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
I have the best setup for 500 bucks raceland fronts b&g springs the rear with bilstein sports.. Sway bars and powerflex poly bushings up front handles like a beast
Steven747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:24 AM   #8
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieE46 View Post
This. IMO, the GC Koni single adjustable kits are damn good for the money, but I wouldn't go beyond 650F/700R springs. Their SAE hardware does frustrate the hell out of me though. TC Kline is also good, but is somewhat more expensive last I checked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethaniscool View Post
Good idea, at minimum upgrade the FCABs the RTABs. Check all other mounts and bushings, especially engine and trans mounts.

For the love of god, don't get BCs or Racelands.

Last edited by vaio76109; 04-20-2012 at 02:25 AM.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #9
PerkM3
Account Under Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio76109 View Post
This. IMO, the GC Koni single adjustable kits are damn good for the money, but I wouldn't go beyond 650F/700R springs. Their SAE hardware does frustrate the hell out of me though. TC Kline is also good, but is somewhat more expensive last I checked.

Good idea, at minimum upgrade the FCABs the RTABs. Check all other mounts and bushings, especially engine and trans mounts.

For the love of god, don't get BCs or Racelands.
I wanna start by saying that in no way am I fan of BC coils but for the money I can't argue that they are a good option. The only problem I see with them is build quality, other than that you can get a DA coilover custom valved with linear race springs (of your choice) with the option for a true rear coilover. They also come with RSM's and camber plates. You get all that for the same price as a GC/koni setup that you still have to buy plates and RSM's for. So I think for the money and as a beginner setup they could be a good choice.

Why do you feel that they are so bad.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:11 AM   #10
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerkM3 View Post
I wanna start by saying that in no way am I fan of BC coils but for the money I can't argue that they are a good option. The only problem I see with them is build quality, other than that you can get a DA coilover custom valved with linear race springs (of your choice) with the option for a true rear coilover.
Because build quality and valving are everything with regards to shocks. Build quality is sub-par and I'm assuming their "custom valved" is a shot in the dark. Custom=/=better.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #11
PerkM3
Account Under Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio76109 View Post
Because build quality and valving are everything with regards to shocks. Build quality is sub-par and I'm assuming their "custom valved" is a shot in the dark. Custom=/=better.
That I 100% agree with and thus I run Motons, the OP said he's looking for a budget suspension. I haven't heard of blown BC's but I've seen a dozen or so blown Koni/GC's. I think TCK and KW are good for the money, not Moton/JRZ/Motion good but better than GC/Koni. The problem with TCK and KW is they are more expensive. I've held a set of BC's in my own hands and run two different GC kits, I just don't think the build quality is that far off. I'm not saying they're better, because they aren't but they aren't fall off.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:01 PM   #12
serdar255

My Ride: '01 325ci / '90 325i
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-17...us-bundle.aspx

For coding, custom shift knobs, and vinyl stickers: PM me
serdar255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #13
timsev

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethaniscool View Post

At that price, Id look into KW V2's
Umm no. No comparison to GC or TCK, especially if he is trying to get rid of body roll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
FK Konigsports or FK SilverLine Plus X both use Koni adjustable shocks (great quality and easy to dial in), the Konigsports are very budget friendly. You can check out both HERE

He asked for a good "track" suspension on a budget. Not the cheapest thing you sell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven747 View Post
I have the best setup for 500 bucks raceland fronts b&g springs the rear with bilstein sports.. Sway bars and powerflex poly bushings up front handles like a beast
Please stop. If you came into tech inspection and you had Racelands, I wouldn't let you drive. 4srs

OP you aren't going to see much, if any improvement over what you have unless you go to something with a linear spring like the GC or TCKline kit. Both are similar in performance and price. (I prefer TCK) Without going to a double adjustable or full race shock, these two are the best packages available under $2k.

Last edited by timsev; 04-23-2012 at 05:04 PM.
timsev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #14
dan_1337

My Ride: 330CiC
Like a couple of the guys who have already suggested, GC or TCK. I have the GC track/school coilovers over the TCK purely because I found them to be a little cheaper for a comparable setup (GC included camber plates).

Last edited by dan_1337; 04-23-2012 at 09:32 PM.
dan_1337 is offline   Reply With Quote