E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
amack1233

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
HELP! 2000 323i stalling, no power, eating gas

Hello all,

I have a 2000 bmw 323i, the other day i was driving and the engine light came on. All was fine at the time until the next morning. I started the car and noticed it had very lttle pull unless i floored it it just barley hauled itself. Next thing at a light the rpm starts swinging between 500 and 1100 and then stalls. Takes a second to start up again? well ive had to drive it a few more times and i not even at 2000 rpm when im barley pulling my gas meter is maxed out and its EATING gas Any suggestions?

as far as my knowledge and reseacrh goes i think it could be camshaft positon sensor, MAF sensor?

Anyone had this problem before? where to start with buying sensor?
amack1233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
tonycajjo

My Ride: 2006 330Ci
check all you vac lines too.

if you unplug the MAF while its running, the computer will go to default maps. if the car runs better with the MAF unplugged it most likely means you have a bad MAF.

but check all you Vac lines. they crack, especially at the ends. i've fixed bmws in a pinch by trimming the last .5" off a vac line and reattaching it cause it was all cracked up at on the end and leaking. on my 4.4i i had a part called the main sucking jet come disconnected and it acted as you describe above except when i stopped on it, it moved and i was able to drive it home.

Last edited by tonycajjo; 04-25-2012 at 04:47 PM.
tonycajjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
Slopestyle

My Ride: E46 '02. 330Ci Coup
What are the codes thats a good place to start. DISA Valve. Shitty on gas, no low end pull. Real quick DISA Valve is easy two bolts pull it out check the flap actuator assembly mechanism (sounds good don't it) if its not it, start diagnosal procedures. Begin your journey.
Slopestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
amack1233

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopestyle View Post
What are the codes thats a good place to start. DISA Valve. Shitty on gas, no low end pull. Real quick DISA Valve is easy two bolts pull it out check the flap actuator assembly mechanism (sounds good don't it) if its not it, start diagnosal procedures. Begin your journey.
Could you tell me about the disa valve and what look for with the assembly, new to the beamer world haha
amack1233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
keepbreakindown

My Ride: 1999 323i
Hre you go. This looks like a good bit of info from the DIY section

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=disa:thumbup:
keepbreakindown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
Ronnied18

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330ci
I had this same exact problem...It sounds like a faulty MAF. Check all vac lines, if they are good..then try to clean your MAF. Super easy. If cleaning it doesnt solve the problem, you most likely need a new one..
Old 08-05-2013, 07:31 PM   #7
Junk 323ci

My Ride: 2000 bmw 323ci
I have a 2000 bmw 323 ci and I am having the same prob with the car I when for a 2 hour ride in it 2 months ago and check engin light came on half way thru the trip and the car started losing power I got the car home shut if off come out the next morning went to start the car and it was vary hard to start ran really rough had to keep pumping the gas to barly keep it running and then it will stall I have replaced all vac lines pcv valve maf sensor intake manfold gasket fule filter checked all fuses got the car to run a lil bit better but still dosnt wanna leave the drive way and dosnt have any power idk where to go from here can someone plz help me about to go nuts lol dose anyone think it could be the map sensor
Junk 323ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #8
2003silver330i

My Ride: 03 BMW 330i
Check your cam sensors
2003silver330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #9
tonycajjo

Re: HELP! 2000 323i stalling, no power, eating gas

Cam sensors should give a engine light.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #10
Junk 323ci

My Ride: 2000 bmw 323ci
I replaced both of them I talked to a bmw tech and he thinks its a vac leak because if I take the maf sensor out of air box and leave it hooked up to the moter and pluged in and cover up half of the screen so it cant draw as much air it runs 10 times better but still runs a lil lean I have replaced all vac lines and intake manfold gaskets any other ideas?
Junk 323ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #11
tonycajjo

Re: HELP! 2000 323i stalling, no power, eating gas

Wrong or Bad MAF, even though its new...

Maybe intake boots have a tear cause issue.

What about plugs and coil packs?

Tags
323i, gas, power, problems, stall