E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 03:34 AM   #1
JLoE46M3

My Ride: 2002 BMW M3
Angry Bent passenger side strut tower need advice!!

Hey everyone,
I recently got into an accident in my 2002 M3 while driving home in the rain after an animal ran out in front of me. I reacted, trying not to hit it, but ended up hydroplaning into a curb hard enough to set my passenger side curtain airbags off. The impact took the whole front passenger side wheel assembly off. I had it towed to the shop and got everything fixed. Now the only issue I'm having is that the camber on that wheel is what it should be if it were a track car. I'm not driving the car at the moment because of this, knowing that it will eat up the inside of the tire, and I also do not know how the integrity of the strut tower will hold up if I continue driving it as is. Anybody here have work like this done to their E46 or know how much I'm looking at spending to bend it back? If its not worth it I need some advice on what I should do. I don't want to give up on her because she's the car I've always wanted, but if I should cut my loses I will. I'm thinking of possibly having the engine and tranny taken out and putting it into something else like and old E30 or maybe something else? Then pretty much parting out the rest of it. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.
JLoE46M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:29 AM   #2
DHK

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325Ci
Its not as big a job as youd think most of the time. Its fairly common actually even potholes can cause bent towers.

Im not specifically sure about the M3 but usually it is a pretty simple operation.
As for price its mostly a labor job so it depends a lot on hourly rates from wherever you get it done.
If it is just pulling the metal already there back to spec then your probably looking somewhere between 250 and 600ish (or more) depending on how bad it is and how much the cost of labor is.
If it is so bad that the tower needs to be cut in places and new metal added, then it could easily cost 3 or 4 times that.

Last edited by DHK; 04-26-2012 at 04:34 AM.
DHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:39 AM   #3
JLoE46M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHK View Post
Its not as big a job as youd think most of the time. Its fairly common actually even potholes can cause bent towers.

Im not specifically sure about the M3 but usually it is a pretty simple operation.
As for price its mostly a labor job so it depends a lot on hourly rates from wherever you get it done.
If it is just pulling the metal already there back to spec then your probably looking somewhere between 250 and 600ish (or more) depending on how bad it is and how much the cost of labor is.
If it is so bad that the tower needs to be cut in places and new metal added, then it could easily cost 3 or 4 times that.
Well I sure hope its in the first price range you mentioned and not the second because I can totally live with that. I'll have it looked at and see where its is exactly and go from there.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:45 AM   #4
BimmerJustin
I SHOP @ TURNER MOTORSPORT

My Ride: 02325CI,03MIN,06VW
I slammed a roundabout at speed and effed up my left strut tower to the loint to where it was poking through the hood. Its not a simple cut and weld as stated above. You have to align it in a chassis jig and cut out the old tower but before you can do that you have to pull the drivetrain for access. The damage I did was about $11k for the tower and about $6k for other various things. As much as the damage is...the M3 will be a total loss for insurance and might as well buy it back and throw it into an E30. Thats what I would do anyways....

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Bimmer App
Old 04-26-2012, 04:49 AM   #5
DHK

Could be even less then 250 it all depends on how bad it is. Most people go hear that their frame is bent and assume the car is junk.
But a shop with the right equipment can bend the frame of a car 1/2 an inch or more pretty quick and cheap.
When you get into having to add material because its bent to far then things get expensive. Then you need to pay for welding, material, more labor as well as paint so the new metal doesn't rust.

From the sounds of it you just need a minor adjustment, but its hard to say.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:51 AM   #6
DHK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerJustin View Post
I slammed a roundabout at speed and effed up my left strut tower to the loint to where it was poking through the hood. Its not a simple cut and weld as stated above. You have to align it in a chassis jig and cut out the old tower but before you can do that you have to pull the drivetrain for access. The damage I did was about $11k for the tower and about $6k for other various things. As much as the damage is...the M3 will be a total loss for insurance and might as well buy it back and throw it into an E30. Thats what I would do anyways....

This is worst case scenario, you need an expert to say how muhc but, once a car gets bent so much it cant simply be bent back and then you need to do this.
However if the car is only bent a bit and can be bent back its quite cheap.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:56 AM   #7
JLoE46M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerJustin View Post

Yeah that was more the neighborhood I thought I was looking at, but mine isn't as bad as yours. The only problem I'm having is the camber. It drives straight and smooth for the most part with no issues other than the camber. Still think it'll be in the 10K+ range?
Old 04-26-2012, 04:59 AM   #8
bishop1977

My Ride: 04 330i ZHP S/C
This is what insurance is for
bishop1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:00 AM   #9
DHK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLoE46M3 View Post
Yeah that was more the neighborhood I thought I was looking at, but mine isn't as bad as yours. The only problem I'm having is the camber. It drives straight and smooth for the most part with no issues other than the camber. Still think it'll be in the 10K+ range?
Honestly there is no point asking here, you need to go to a shop that deals with frames and have them look at it. If they can bend it back to spec it will be cheap. If they cant it will be expensive but no one here can tell you that.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:29 AM   #10
DHK

Be sure to update when you do talk to someone. Im curious about how much bending these e46 frames can take.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:57 AM   #11
BimmerJustin
I SHOP @ TURNER MOTORSPORT

My Ride: 02325CI,03MIN,06VW
My frame wasnt bent....that figure I gave you was just for the replacement of the strut tower done by a BMW shop through insurance. My car was still able to be driven....but not too far. I drove it 5 miles back to the house with blown tires..lmao.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:05 AM   #12
JLoE46M3

Thanks for the info so far guys. I will update when I get it checked.

Tags
bent, e46, m3, strut, strut tower