E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-24-2016, 08:13 PM   #1
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
Does anyone need an EpiPen?

Apparently Mylan, the new EpiPen owner, jacked up the price 400%. I don't need this item myself. But I imagine the financial burden on those that rely on these for the random encounter with an allergic reaction in the course of normal, every day activity may be overwhelming.

Quote:
The Mylan controversy fits a similar pattern. Mylan has increased the price of its EpiPen from about $57 a shot when it took over sales of the product in 2007 to more than $600 for two auto-injectors. But the company’s EpiPen is a more mainstream drug used to treat life-threatening allergic reactions from bee stings, food allergies or other triggers, which could give the issue a larger constituency.
Mylan declined to comment when asked to explain the price hike or Bresch’s role in promoting legislation. Manchin’s office also didn’t respond to requests for comment.
http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/ar...allergy-epipen

They seem to have taken notes from Martin Shkreli.

Any thoughts?

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:17 PM   #2
Cabrio330

My Ride: 2013 F30 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski3d View Post
Apparently Mylan, the new EpiPen owner, jacked up the price 400%. I don't need this item myself. But I imagine the financial burden on those that rely on these for the random encounter with an allergic reaction in the course of normal, every day activity may be overwhelming.

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/ar...allergy-epipen

They seem to have taken notes from Martin Shkreli.

Any thoughts?
Haven't research this much but it sure sounds ruthless and unforgivable. I guess there's a chance of something "more to the story" that might explain why they are doing it but I can't imagine what that would be.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:20 PM   #3
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Apparently they have a limited shelf/use life, too. So it's not like you can just bite the bullet and buy one you can carry for a long time until you happen to need it.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:29 PM   #4
BoogetyBoogety

My Ride: 2010 SL550
This is huge right now with the school nurses I talk to often (I volunteer at a few schools as my time allows). The one year shelf life means that some families are buying these damn things for hundreds and hundreds of dollars with insurance taken into consideration... On the order of $3-$400 apiece (and some families have more than one child in two or more schools)... Or doing without.

I also understand the CEO, the daughter of a Congressman, has enjoyed a nearly-600% salary and bonus increase in the last few years... Now that her company is the sole provider of these epi pens, the price has skyrocketed. So care providers and mommas and daddies are all up in arms and blasting social media with their outrage...
BoogetyBoogety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:44 PM   #5
BreakfastBurrito

My Ride: ///GT3 RSR
Next thing you know she's buying wutangs secret album
Old 08-24-2016, 09:28 PM   #6
Zell

My Ride: so turbo wow
Inb4 "But they're a business" argument

Edit: 2slow

"Ultimately EpiPen is actually a bargain. It saves you all the cost of going to the emergency room. Just the ambulance ride can be $1,000.” Shkreli said. “Like I said, it’s $300 a pack. $300. My iPhone is $700."

“Everyone’s thinking about the patient’s families, but no one's thinking about Mylan’s.”

Last edited by Zell; 08-24-2016 at 09:40 PM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:06 PM   #7
badfast

My Ride: A car
Good!

Because capitalism and business stuff.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:26 PM   #8
217Bimmer

My Ride: Dodge Durango
Who cares? It's natural selection. We don't want those peanut allergy pussy genes in our pool anyway.

Quote:
I always have to laugh when I see a thread described as "Not Work Safe." Is there anything on the OT forum that's really "work safe"? If I were your boss, I'd be mad if you spent any time on this forum at work at all. How is a picture of a naked girl any less work safe than, say, a picture of a matador getting gored in the *** by an angry bull? - VaderDave
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:49 PM   #9
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
How is there not a generic? Thing's been on the market since the 80's.

Herbert Camacho '16

"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labeled a radical 60 years ago, a liberal 30 years ago and a racist today." - Thomas Sowell
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:37 PM   #10
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Sounds like a great business opportunity for some other manufacturer.
- Offend our inclusive values, we'll exclude you.
- We will not tolerate challenges to our ideal of tolerance.
- We seek diversity of appearance, but uniformity of thought.
- We always want to start a dialogue, unless we find your opinion unacceptable, then we'll silence you.
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:10 AM   #11
moiz21

My Ride: 1999 323i 5-SPD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
How is there not a generic? Thing's been on the market since the 80's.
I believe they hold the patent on the delivery system and not the drug (which I want to say is just regular epinephrine) itself.

If anyone does need one, search Reddit. There was a discussion about this last week. Someone offered to take the dimensions of an old delivery system and upload it, so that people could print 3D copies for themselves. So just a heads up if anyone wants to avoid paying the extremely high prices right now.

MODS
P46 Projectors + FX-R Retrofit + 6k D2S / 60 LED AE's / Smoked LED Tails / Smoked Turn and Side Markers / BSW 10" Sub /ZHP Knob / Matte Black Grills / DICE / Parrot + Connects2 / OEM Alternative Alarm Mod / Clutch Switch Delay Mod / M3 Rep Front Bumper / 3M Black CF Di-Noc Wrap / K&N Intake / 35% Tint All Around / Black Short Eurotray / 545i Shifter
moiz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:40 AM   #12
badfast

My Ride: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
Who cares? It's natural selection. We don't want those peanut allergy pussy genes in our pool anyway.
Avoiding death isn't cheap! Nor should it be. There is profit to be made from people who don't want to die from an allergic reaction.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:56 AM   #13
ImPulSe

My Ride: Bentley GT
I would have jacked it up 450%

#MakeFanaticsGreatAgain
#MFGA
ImPulSe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:52 AM   #14
325kev

My Ride: 03 325i 5MT
Seems like a money grab from Mylan before a generic comes to market. Teva is working on one, but was delayed by the FDA. Another alternative was recently pulled from the market due to concerns if the drug is actually being delivered correctly. I'd guess Mylan sees an opportunity where they have a bit of a monopoly on the product and are trying to max their profits before they're forced to lower the cost due to competition.

Not sure that I'd buy an EpiPen that some guy on Reddit 3D printed though...
325kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:49 AM   #15
SonicBoom

My Ride: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
Sounds like a great business opportunity for some other manufacturer.
Bingo.
SonicBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:10 AM   #16
farmdog

My Ride: Food Truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakfastBurrito View Post
Next thing you know she's buying wutangs secret album
lol
Old 08-25-2016, 11:17 AM   #17
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...

My Ride: Yukon
There isn't a generic because of a patent on the delivery system. You can buy the drug and a syringe for next to nothing as long as you know how to give an injection.

The girl running the company never finished her MBA and the president of her school was an old friend of her father, a VA senator, and suddenly her transcript magically showed that she took and passed classes that she never attended and she was given an MBA.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:32 AM   #18
217Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
There isn't a generic because of a patent on the delivery system. You can buy the drug and a syringe for next to nothing as long as you know how to give an injection.

The girl running the company never finished her MBA and the president of her school was an old friend of her father, a VA senator, and suddenly her transcript magically showed that she took and passed classes that she never attended and she was given an MBA.
well then, no sympathy for these schmucks bitching about this. someone else can develop a delivery system or people can learn to shoot up themselves. what is so special about the delivery? just jam it in your leg and squeeze! god damn people are fvcking lazy and dumb. diabetics do this **** multiple times a day!

Quote:
I always have to laugh when I see a thread described as "Not Work Safe." Is there anything on the OT forum that's really "work safe"? If I were your boss, I'd be mad if you spent any time on this forum at work at all. How is a picture of a naked girl any less work safe than, say, a picture of a matador getting gored in the *** by an angry bull? - VaderDave
Old 08-25-2016, 11:39 AM   #19
217Bimmer

Quote:
Mylan acquired the EpiPen line of epinephrine autoinjector devices from Merck KGaA as part of their 2007 deal.[23] The devices deliver about $1 worth of drug.
Quote:
Consumer reports said that another, cheaper option was using standard syringes and filling them manually from vials of epinephrine. This requires training and the shelf-life of an epinephrine vial is only three months compared to 12 to 18 months for the EpiPen and Adrenaclick.
Again, people are just lazy as fvck!!! $1 worth of the drug and replace it 4 times per year and carry around a syringe and spend 10 minutes learning how to inject it. fvck society!

Quote:
Old 08-25-2016, 11:45 AM   #20
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
The issue in general is that healthcare has inelastic demand and it is buffered by insurance, so where's the drive for suppliers to reduce prices? The only way we are able to reduce prices is by having insurance companies cut items off their formulary or tell drug companies that they won't pay asking for the drug (e.g. Sovaldi/Harmonic HepC drugs)

How insurance companies determine whether cost is worth it is exactly what Shkreli said -- if it prevents hospital admission and is cheaper then they will pay

Last edited by dreamdrivedrift; 08-25-2016 at 11:46 AM.
dreamdrivedrift is offline   Reply With Quote