E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 10:40 PM   #21
dobro20

My Ride: 2000 328i
If you smack the 32mm with a hammer, watch the wrench doesn't slip and crack the thermostat like I did.
dobro20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:56 AM   #22
WG330i

My Ride: 2001 330i
alright guys what am I missing?

I have my trusty wrench an hammer but the pulley is just twisting with the wrench. What am I missing? Going to try screwriver again but that has not worke for yet either. TIA
WG330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:18 AM   #23
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by WG330i View Post
I have my trusty wrench an hammer but the pulley is just twisting with the wrench. What am I missing? Going to try screwriver again but that has not worke for yet either. TIA
Do you have a spare belt and some locking pliers/vise grips?

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:26 PM   #24
WG330i

My Ride: 2001 330i
IM sent

Tia
WG330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #25
EDWAGON

My Ride: 2004 325xiT
Question, do you guys think the hammer method has any negative effect to the water pump pulley and bearing?

I am in process of changing my fan and clutch have the holding tool from KTC . Tried messing with it and not sure at what position works best like 12 o'clock, 3 o'clock etc. no luck will try again tonight after all kids asleep.

I read on Pelican site that there are 4 possible pulley bolt combos and you need to rotate water pulley to get an exact fit of holder tool.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:38 AM   #26
E46@46

My Ride: 2003 325xiT
I got the proper tools but still had problems because I don't think the nut had ever been off. Ended up breaking the nuts holding on the pulley. Struggled for over a day until someone here suggested using a heat gun on the fan nut. That worked great in just a minute or two. I would suggest that over a hammer, breaker bar or PB Blaster, none of which worked for me. Good luck.
E46@46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:34 AM   #27
EDWAGON

Was able to get it off by using a screwdriver to hold pulley,put in new shroud, fan and clutch. New BMW fan much lighter than the 8 year old one.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #28
rickmccl

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
So the summary here is that you can use the hammer if you know what you're doing? There's lots of reports of collateral damage, and a little pants wetting about water pump bearings.

I used to use a chisel to turn the fan nut, I've done this operation on E30's, e36, and finally bought the wrench to do it on my e46 -- because I found a nice thin one for $18. The nut came loose in a few more smacks than I expected but it came loose and I didn't break anything. Wear gloves and hold the wrench loosely so you aren't driving it like a golf ball. you only need to smack it until it breaks loose then it will unscrew just fine.
or by all means buy a fan holder if you can swing it. There's nothing wrong with fan holders aside from the added expense. I might try the screwdriver thing but I don't see it as being necessary.

cheap fan clutch wrench
http://www.buy.com/prod/32mm-bmw-fan...225170462.html

Also check these out -- they are the same thing but for use with your AIR HAMMER -- http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-LI43300-.../dp/B000JFJLTC
I think the water pump bearings are gonna be OK!
rickmccl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #29
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
$30 for a tool is not too much to pay. You pay $15 for a 32mm wrench anyway. What's another $15 to make sure you don't break stuff with this hammer hitting thing. I think the hammer method is stupid unless you are going to replace the water pump anyway. If you are taking the fan off to get to something else, DO NOT put a shock through the shaft with a hammer and wrench. Get the right tool for the job. It is almost always worth it to buy the right tools.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #30
EDWAGON

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
$30 for a tool is not too much to pay. You pay $15 for a 32mm wrench anyway. What's another $15 to make sure you don't break stuff with this hammer hitting thing. I think the hammer method is stupid unless you are going to replace the water pump anyway. If you are taking the fan off to get to something else, DO NOT put a shock through the shaft with a hammer and wrench. Get the right tool for the job. It is almost always worth it to buy the right tools.
I have the proper tools but couldn't figure how to get a good fit on pulley holder tool, bought it from here :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-GM-Fan-C...cd789a&vxp=mtr

I agree i dont like the hitting method feel it will stress a bearing or shaft for waterpump.

Last edited by EDWAGON; 12-05-2012 at 12:10 PM.
EDWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #31
rickmccl

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
Now I find this, I would have gone for this if I'd seen it, a nice pair.
http://www.amazon.com/Clutch-Wrench-...l_mb_hu_m_5_dp

you don't put a shock through the shaft when you hit the wrench, the motion is circular and coincides with the axle's plane of rotation. but I agree that it's not the only way to crack the nut so to speak.
rickmccl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:27 AM   #32
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmccl View Post
Now I find this, I would have gone for this if I'd seen it, a nice pair.
http://www.amazon.com/Clutch-Wrench-...l_mb_hu_m_5_dp

you don't put a shock through the shaft when you hit the wrench, the motion is circular and coincides with the axle's plane of rotation. but I agree that it's not the only way to crack the nut so to speak.
Actually you do - quite a bit of shock, unless you have a girly swing.
The waterpump bearing/seals are not design to withstand such a strike/force. So, unless the WP is old and you were going to replace it anyways, I would strongly advise you avoid trying to remove it with the "sledgehammer" method. Just a friendly heads up.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote