E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 12:28 AM   #1
Dxyan

My Ride: Tiag e46 M &325 4dr
Molding CSL Splitters ~ OEM /// Bumper

My car is at the shop and this is a perfect opportunity to play with some semi custom ideas on the front bumper. I can't part with my fogs, so I can't go with a csl bumper. I really like the status gruppe 1 piece lip and the CSL style splitter. But I have a dilemma, I don't like the pasted on look.. especially from the side and edges.

So i'm going to have my body shop mold the CSL splitters on to my bumper. IMO the lip will flow better with the bumper. Also the splitter will level with the bumper.

Example on Ray's car. He molded a Vorsteiner 1 piece lip on his OEM bumper.

photo csl8.jpg

What i'm trying to do (my car is apline)
 photo csl3.jpg

photo csl2.jpg

photo csl1-1.jpg

photo csl4-1.jpg

VS

Non molded and not level.
 photo csl9.jpg

photo csl7.jpg

photo csl5.jpg

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Dxyan; 10-23-2013 at 12:30 AM. Reason: typo
Dxyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:33 AM   #2
fckupayme

My Ride: Razor Scooter on 20s
Even if you have the shape cut into the bumper its still going to give you that pasted on look. Would you consider doing a full-mold? Blend it into the bumper then either fully paint them or expose a certain amount if it. This way it looks like a part of the bumper.

Edit: Just remembered you are doing the full 1-piece splitter, that will look fine because of the way it lines up with the bottom of the bumper. I'd say go ahead and cut into your bumper, that will look much better than the 2 splitters.

Last edited by fckupayme; 10-23-2013 at 12:34 AM.
fckupayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:38 AM   #3
Dxyan

I've seen a full mold + paint.. it looks odd, not contrast and it extends the flow of the bumper. I think I like the semi mold because it eliminates the gaps and provides a backer for the splitter to rest on.

Last edited by Dxyan; 10-23-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:48 AM   #4
Dxyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fckupayme View Post
Even if you have the shape cut into the bumper its still going to give you that pasted on look. Would you consider doing a full-mold? Blend it into the bumper then either fully paint them or expose a certain amount if it. This way it looks like a part of the bumper.

Edit: Just remembered you are doing the full 1-piece splitter, that will look fine because of the way it lines up with the bottom of the bumper. I'd say go ahead and cut into your bumper, that will look much better than the 2 splitters.

Actually, I'm going with the 2 piece splitter.. I will have to cut/shave the bottom of my bumper to level the splitters. The contour of the bumper will naturally bring the inside edge of the splitter downwards.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
jclip

My Ride: 06 m3, 01 325
I'm not sure I understand the concept of molding the splitter, then leaving the carbon exposed. Kind of defeats the purpose of molding it.
jclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
fckupayme

My Ride: Razor Scooter on 20s
Will it look better? Sure but I'm not sure its worth all that effort and $. Its still going to look like an afterthought. The thing I always noticed about CSL splitters on OEM M3 bumpers is that they are never fitted properly and they tend to droop on the insides of where the opening of the bumper is. That always looks funny and makes them look worse. If you can shave yours down and attach in some way to be more steady I think you'd be better off.

fckupayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:53 PM   #7
Dxyan

The pic's above show molded vs non molded.. IMO the molded splittler looks clean

Last edited by Dxyan; 10-24-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:56 PM   #8
Dxyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fckupayme View Post
Will it look better? Sure but I'm not sure its worth all that effort and $. Its still going to look like an afterthought. The thing I always noticed about CSL splitters on OEM M3 bumpers is that they are never fitted properly and they tend to droop on the insides of where the opening of the bumper is. That always looks funny and makes them look worse. If you can shave yours down and attach in some way to be more steady I think you'd be better off.
Yup, the contour of the bumper will cause that to happen. Shaving and adding a backer (mold material) will place the splitter level with the bumper.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:58 PM   #9
PH03NIX46

My Ride: '03 M3
I actually really like the molded 2-piece CSL splitters.

Badass.