E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
2MCHM4U

My Ride: ///M3
Cross Drilled Rotors

Just looking for suggestions on where to buy. Im looking at front and rear and dont want the oem zcp as they are out of my price range. unless you guys know where i can get a good deal on them. Thanks
2MCHM4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #2
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
you can look at zimmerman cross drilled, and check out bavauto as well, i think they have a pair

just let it be known they these will be strictly for cosmetic purposes... you will not brake better, in fact, you will probably brake a little worse, and low quality cross drilled rotors are more prone to cracking... i have thought about them a lot, and for the right price since i don't track my car, i MIGHT be purchasing them off of another member, but if i were to choose, go with OEM normal brakes... they are great
Old 05-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
2MCHM4U

Thank you for the info. I was thinking cosmetic but now im wondering how much loss of braking power. i dont track the car but i dont want to have less stopping power either. If i did end up going with the zcp rotors, will they work with my stock calipers?
Old 05-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
JJR4884

i am fairly certain they will work just fine... and if i'm not mistaken, don't the zcp's only come with front cross drilled? if so, you can throw the cosmetic part out the window because that obviously isn't going to look right

do a little research.... i'm sure you will be ok not tracking the car, but i've seen my share of cracked rotors, and god forbid that happens the day i really need to use them... ya, no thanks... not worth the "cosmetic" part of looking at brake discs when the car is in a driveway or a parking lot
Old 05-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
2MCHM4U

i had a e36 M3 with crossed drilled back when i was young and i had my fair share of smashing on the brakes and didnt ever crack them and they were from zimmerman. When you say you have seen cracked rotors has this been on the e46 or are you speaking just in general?
Old 05-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
JJR4884

few e46's, but more so in general...

honestly, i don't want you to think that these brakes are junk, but the structural integrity of them are impaired by being cross drilled. i just didn't want you to be under the impression that they are better in any way other than looks compared to OEM. Realistically speaking you will probably be fine, especially from a company who is well established, but at least know that the quality and performance will mostly likely fall somewhat short of OEM
Old 05-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #7
2MCHM4U

great info JJ. Thanks again
Old 05-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #8
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 M3
Front cross drilled also available from UUC. 6k on mine,no cracks. Not sure about availability of the rear. Also I think ZCP fronts are larger diamater,but the rears are the same. Just search to confirm before making a purchace.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #9
turbo_f22_pilot

My Ride: 2 pedals - 2 paddles
Installing ZCP rotors on a non-zcp M3 will require a caliper bracket (2).

Part No. 34112282619
Issue - Each
MSRP - $269.15

Joy is future proof
Get your "M" on . . .
Reading is FundaM3ntal

CAR:
2003 TIAG Coupe / Blk Interior / SMG / HK Premium
MODS:
EU-CSL Coded / Macht Schnell intake / OEM CSL Wheels / OEM CSL Diffuser / Dinan Exhaust
Full LED Conversion / HID fog / Aurora AE / RE RTAB FCAB

BMWCCA NCC
turbo_f22_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #10
mooninite

My Ride: M3, 325i
ZCP have cross-drilled all the way around.

Larger on front than back.

You should be able to use the rear ZCP rotor on the front (but don't quote me on that) on a regular M3. As mentioned above you will need a larger carrier (essentially all the front ZCP brake hardware) if you want the larger front brakes.

OEM ZCP rotors are forged with the holes instead of drilled. They are very strong. They will never crack.

Other rotors, if they are drilled *after* forged will be prone to cracking. Good luck.

Last edited by mooninite; 05-02-2012 at 09:08 PM.
mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:57 PM   #11
Ky///m3

My Ride: 1988 E30 M3
Check the for sale section on this forum for brakes. I may or may not have a set up for sale.

2006 E46 M3 HPF stg II SOLD
1988 E30 M3 Touring Class
1995 E36 M3 I-Prepared Class
Ky///m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:39 AM   #12
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
Do your wheels even let you see your brakes? If not don't waste your money. But if you CAN see them then yes they look great. You should paint your calipers while your down there too. G2 paint is great. Pick a nice color. I'm thinking about going gold on my Topaz Blue M3. Don't do red though. It's played out and too wannabe Brembo.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:31 AM   #13
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
i am fairly certain they will work just fine... and if i'm not mistaken, don't the zcp's only come with front cross drilled? if so, you can throw the cosmetic part out the window because that obviously isn't going to look right
do a little research....ya, no thanks... not worth the "cosmetic" part of looking at brake discs when the car is in a driveway or a parking lot
the M3 CSL brakes stop in a shorter distance than stock M3s.
CSL/ZCP brakes are not cosmetic. They will resist fading and being a few pounds lighter rotational mass is also a plus. They are perforated on all four corners and floating hat design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooninite View Post
ZCP have cross-drilled all the way around.
Larger on front than back.
You should be able to use the rear ZCP rotor on the front (but don't quote me on that) on a regular M3. As mentioned above you will need a larger carrier (essentially all the front ZCP brake hardware) if you want the larger front brakes.
OEM ZCP rotors are forged with the holes instead of drilled. They are very strong. They will never crack.
Other rotors, if they are drilled *after* forged will be prone to cracking. Good luck.
Yes CSL/ZCP rotors are not only directionally vented internally, but also perforated and have aluminum floting hat design. So it doesn't hold the heat on the rotor or heat the hats, hubs and bearings. They are also lighter.
ZCP rotors are rear specific and will swap without needing anything. But to do correctly you'd want the ZCP rear cailpers which have a larger piston. The fronts are specific and need new carriers for the larger rotors.

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 05-03-2012 at 02:33 AM.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #14
ECSTuning
Sponsor

I have our ECS Cross Drilled & Slotted Brake Rotors avaible for the E46 M3, I think these might fit your budget and provided you everything you're looking for. Also just a heads up right now I'm shipping these rotors free inside the continental USA. HERE is a custom cart with the front and rear rotors dropped into it for you to review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_f22_pilot View Post
Installing ZCP rotors on a non-zcp M3 will require a caliper bracket (2).

Part No. 34112282619
Issue - Each
MSRP - $269.15
This is a very good point and something the OP needs to take into account if he choose to go with the ZCP upgrade.

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:06 PM   #15
Bemym

My Ride: E46 zcp
Im selling my rear zcp rotors, now just find the front rotors

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=404408
Bemym is offline   Reply With Quote