E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
leeezyx3

My Ride: 2001 325i
Reinforcement plate alternative?

So I've been doing some search on ways to protect my undercarriage.
I came across this:

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330...late/ES128604/

however it states for vehicles produced from 02/2001. I believe my car was produced in 01/2001, according to my vin. On my door jam though it says 2001/02, but i'll just go with 01/2001. With the last 7 digits being FV02995, I used this to figure it out:
http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi

Now my real question is since my car uses the tubular reinforcement (I'm assuming), like this one (#3):

what are my alternatives in getting a plate like the ones for post 02/2001 vehicles for my 01/2001? The reason I am asking is because I had just busted my oil pan on road construction and I would like to protect it as much as I can without having to raise my car.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
lmr2wil

My Ride: '00 328Ci
I believe my coupe was built in 11/99 and definitely has a plate - http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/51718260810/ES130062/ to be exact. I would get under your car and see if you have the eight mounting holes. My guess is that any of these plates would bolt in correctly. However, they are structural portions of the car; you need to be careful that you aren't affecting these characteristics by replacing the tubular reinforcement with the plate.

Luke
lmr2wil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #3
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
I'm with the above poster, it may be a bolt-in replacement. Think it has to do with Sport suspension. As early Coupes got this. I think the date has to do with CAB's being a larger size. But you just use a few washers to clear it. It even says so in the Bentley. My coupe had this and it was a 2/2000 build date. You should be able to find this cheaper in the "Parting out" section in Classifieds here.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
I'd love a new plate. I struck something on the freeway and it got bent. it did its job. Still looks fine but is deformed. At least I cleaned it when I had it off the car. It must've had 10 lbs of rocks and dirt stuck to it then a nice layer of oil to hold it all together. Since then, i've fixed all my oil leaks

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote