E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
Goughie

My Ride: 330d Sport Touring
Thumbs down Surely the end this time...

... some punk kid has just piled into me whilst I was stationary 30 minutes ago.

Coolant and oil all over the shop, too. 204K miles, a write of is virtually assured.

I love(d) my car.

His car:

"The protection of views purely on religious grounds cannot be justified. It is not only an irrational idea, but it is also divisive, capricious and arbitrary" - Lord Justice Laws, UK 29/04/2010
Goughie is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:22 PM   #2
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Sorry to see that happen. I hope you and the (punk)kid are alright.

Brighter side: Time for an e92.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
CharlzO

My Ride: 2000 328ci
My guess is the (punk) kid SHOULD be alright after the swelling goes down...

that sucks dude, sorry to see it
CharlzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
sucks...i will die if someone did that to my baby
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
joshzhp

My Ride: ZHP--Stock
Easy fix
joshzhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #6
Goughie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshzhp View Post
Easy fix
204k, 12 year old car, new hood, bumper and god knows what under the hood = not economically viable.

"The protection of views purely on religious grounds cannot be justified. It is not only an irrational idea, but it is also divisive, capricious and arbitrary" - Lord Justice Laws, UK 29/04/2010
Old 04-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #7
EJL486

My Ride: E46, E34
I fear the day that I have to confront this situation. sorry for your loss. on the bright side, your bumper's rebar took most of the impact, so you might be better off than you think.

2003 325i 5MT Pics of Car
1995 530i 5MT
1986 535i 5MT sold
http://www.bmwusfactory.com
http://www.thebmwpartstore.com
PSN: EJL486 - Actively Playing: GT5, Battlefield 3, Madden '12
EJL486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #8
Tutankhamon

My Ride: '02 Individual 330ci
Send a message via ICQ to Tutankhamon Send a message via AIM to Tutankhamon Send a message via MSN to Tutankhamon
That really doesn't look all too bad depending on what broke causing the leak.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #9
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Hate seeing stuff like this. Hope it all works out.
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #10
AkuE46

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
It'll buff out lol
On a real note sorry to see that happen to you man. Ive had 3 close calls all in the same week of people not paying attention to the road, all three the other person was on the phone and all three were women.... says something doesn't it lol
AkuE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #11
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Bumper, hood, probably condenser and radiator/ET, hard to know what's going on under the hood until you send photos, but with what insurance gives you...buy car back...and buy the parts you need and I bet you'll be better off than you would trying to get anything comparable with what insurance gives you.

Novabimmer has an 'ask insurance guy' anything thread...and maybe he can advise how best to manage the arduous task of dealing with a company that's set up to make themselves hard to deal with.

Good luck...glad you're okay enough to post after 1/2 an hour. Take advil (ibuprofen) before you go to bed...and don't ignore symptoms of a stiff neck, etc. Insurance companies care more about if you've been hurt than if your car has been! Might see a Dr. tomorrow just to be safe anyway.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:28 PM   #12
Press22

My Ride: 01 325ci
Sorry to hear about your accident. :/
Go for an e90 if you can
Press22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #13
choxor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Bumper, hood, probably condenser and radiator/ET, hard to know what's going on under the hood until you send photos, but with what insurance gives you...buy car back...and buy the parts you need and I bet you'll be better off than you would trying to get anything comparable with what insurance gives you.

Novabimmer has an 'ask insurance guy' anything thread...and maybe he can advise how best to manage the arduous task of dealing with a company that's set up to make themselves hard to deal with.

Good luck...glad you're okay enough to post after 1/2 an hour. Take advil (ibuprofen) before you go to bed...and don't ignore symptoms of a stiff neck, etc. Insurance companies care more about if you've been hurt than if your car has been! Might see a Dr. tomorrow just to be safe anyway.
All good advice, especially about seeing the Dr. I think he's in Europe though so the insurance situation may be a bit different.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #14
Goughie

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
All good advice, especially about seeing the Dr. I think he's in Europe though so the insurance situation may be a bit different.
In UK so insurance will be different. He was on TPF&T however, so sucks for him.

No issues so far re my health. Will see what I'm like tomorrow obviously. TBH, I was stationary and he was no more than 25mph I'd guess so I'm more interested in getting my car sorted than any bogus claim for injury.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #15
choxor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goughie View Post
In UK so insurance will be different. He was on TPF&T however, so sucks for him.

No issues so far re my health. Will see what I'm like tomorrow obviously. TBH, I was stationary and he was no more than 25mph I'd guess so I'm more interested in getting my car sorted than any bogus claim for injury.
Not for bogus claims, but for your own benefit. Injuries after an accident, regardless of how minor the accident may have seemed to those involved may not be immediately evident.

It's your body though so you'd know best, but I err on the side of caution.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #16
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
honestly that doesn't look that bad as far as repairing goes from photos.

i'm gonna guess you have an automatic thus the reason for oil leaks from the transmission oil cooler at the radiator.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #17
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
thats minor. should be fixed in no time.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #18
Goughie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
honestly that doesn't look that bad as far as repairing goes from photos.

i'm gonna guess you have an automatic thus the reason for oil leaks from the transmission oil cooler at the radiator.
It is an auto. I'm not sure the car is worth much more than 3-4K. I'd suggest repairing it would cost more than 2.5K which would make it a write off (new hood alone is 700, new bumper is 350 and those are before paint).

Old 04-17-2012, 05:09 PM   #19
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Goughie,

You know you can save tons diying things...finding parted out cars...junk yard parts. You could well get lucky and find a bumper and hood from your color car. Painting both might cost $500...but I'd bet you could get those parts pretty cheaply too...if you don't buy new parts from the dealer.

Open up the hood and send us some shots of it.

If we try to talk you into diying...do you have a way to get to work/school (don't know what you're up to or where)?

You'll get reamed. Where are you going to find a car that drives like a $35,000 usd car for what insurance will give you. You'll be rebuilding any beater you get for what you get anyway.

You'll get money...they'll say "okay, do you want to buy your car back for $400?" You say "yes."

I should've done this when my e36 was totaled 6 years ago--now I'm older and wiser!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:26 AM   #20
Goughie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Goughie,

You know you can save tons diying things...finding parted out cars...junk yard parts. You could well get lucky and find a bumper and hood from your color car. Painting both might cost $500...but I'd bet you could get those parts pretty cheaply too...if you don't buy new parts from the dealer.

Open up the hood and send us some shots of it.

If we try to talk you into diying...do you have a way to get to work/school (don't know what you're up to or where)?

You'll get reamed. Where are you going to find a car that drives like a $35,000 usd car for what insurance will give you. You'll be rebuilding any beater you get for what you get anyway.

You'll get money...they'll say "okay, do you want to buy your car back for $400?" You say "yes."

I should've done this when my e36 was totaled 6 years ago--now I'm older and wiser!
Couldn't open the hood because of the damage. It's gone to the dealer and I've spoken to the body shop manager who reckons it'll be written off (only from the pics he's seen so far, though).

My E91 320d rental has just arrived.

The chump who hit me has admitted to my insurance co that it was 100% his fault. Just waiting to see my car's fate now.

I'm a consultant so time isn't an issue for DIY'ing, but my complete incompotence with anything mechanical is!

Guy who dropped of the E91 suggested I send receipts for newly fitted tyres and other work to bump up insurance payout if it comes to this - says it's now pretty standard operating procedure in UK insurance claims for non-fault drivers of write-offs. That'll put another 560 onto the price at least.

Last edited by Goughie; 04-18-2012 at 08:31 AM.