E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
GarlicBread911

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Weird throttle/revs problem

Hey guys I briefly searched, but if I missed something, it's finals week so give me a break

Car: 2003.5 BMW M3 6spd 85,000 miles. Borla V2 is only performance mod.

Symptoms:
-Occasionally the engine speed at idle will drop from normal and stay in the 500 range until the car is restarted (sometimes will continue after restarting, but never lasts more than 10 minutes or so of driving). This happens very intermittently and I have no idea what prompts it. This has been happening 1/10 of the time I drive for the past couple months.
-When bliping the throttle to downshift, the revs don't increase like normal, but are delayed 1-2 seconds. This only happens when downshifting. It feels like nothing happens when I push the gas, but when I release it the revs slowly rise up a little. This is began yesterday and is ongoing.
-When turning sharply at very low speed and out of gear (ie: parking spot), the revs drop below 500 and stay there until I press the gas or completely straighten the wheel. This also began yesterday and is ongoing, but only on very sharp turns.

I don't have any lights on the dash or any other related symptoms. Spark plugs and oil were changed 3k miles 1 month miles ago, inspection 2 was almost 10k and 1 year ago.

Someone give me some ideas or link me to a thread that shows I'm an incompetent searcher!

EDIT: So I pulled the MAF sensor and cleaned it with the recommended CRC MAF cleaner. I wiped the inside walls of all of the intake pieces. I bought a new air filter. I pulled the ICV and cleaned it the best I could with some carb cleaner. It was pretty gunked up and I think there's still some crap in there that I was unable to get clean. I reassembled and connected everything back together. The frequency of my idle dropping has decreased significantly, however it still occurs at a more intermittent rate.

The revs will still drop (and kill the engine if I don't stop it) from making turns while out of gear. The frequency of this happening has not changed.

I'm going to go through and clean everything again as it's a pretty painless process, but I doubt it'll benefit me much. Does anyone have any more ideas?

I'm also doing a valve adjustment, oil change, and starter replacement in the coming weeks so I'll try anything that pertains to my problems.

Last edited by GarlicBread911; 06-18-2012 at 08:20 PM.
GarlicBread911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:00 AM   #2
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
Clean your MAF sensor. Buy the can from autozone and do it yourself. Report back.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:01 AM   #3
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
Change your air filter too!
Old 05-02-2012, 12:05 AM   #4
GarlicBread911

Somewhere to start! Thanks
Old 05-02-2012, 09:11 AM   #5
7xes

My Ride: M3
Send a message via AIM to 7xes
Check all your pulleys for cracks? the throttle response might be maf like otheres mentioned
7xes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:41 AM   #6
M3Blurr

My Ride: '04 JB/IR 6MT
Idle air control valve might need a cleaning also.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
sogoos

My Ride: 95 M3, 01 M3
Could be a TPS sensor. There are three of them on the car but they will usually throw a SES or EMS light. I was having a similar issue but sometimes my car wouldn't even start. Turned out to be a bad MAF and moisture in the gas tank, lol
sogoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
BWOODM3

My Ride: 2002 M3 convertible
Fuel pump and fuel filter
BWOODM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #9
GarlicBread911

So I pulled the MAF sensor and cleaned it with the recommended CRC MAF cleaner. I wiped the inside walls of all of the intake pieces. I bought a new air filter. I pulled the ICV and cleaned it the best I could with some carb cleaner. It was pretty gunked up and I think there's still some crap in there that I was unable to get clean. I reassembled and connected everything back together. The frequency of my idle dropping has decreased significantly, however it still occurs at a more intermittent rate.

The revs will still drop (and kill the engine if I don't stop it) from making turns while out of gear. The frequency of this happening has not changed.

I'm going to go through and clean everything again as it's a pretty painless process, but I doubt it'll benefit me much. Does anyone have any more ideas?

I'm also doing a valve adjustment, oil change, and starter replacement in the coming weeks so I'll try anything that pertains to my problems.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #10
KyungMin

My Ride: 2002 M3 Cabrio
Same issue I am having... sometime si get acceleration hiccup... i have an 02 with 52k
so far i have done inspection 2, fuel filter, ICV cleaning..(it was spotless) MAF cleaning,
and new air filter.. are you getting any codes? I'm not getting any codes at all...
Old 07-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #11
GarlicBread911

Hey, I'm not getting any codes either. I'm almost positive it's a vacuum leak somewhere. I just never get the time to fix all the little things
Old 04-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #12
itscoo2pyopants

My Ride: E53 4.8is
Send a message via AIM to itscoo2pyopants
did you ever figure this out? sounds like the problem ive been having.

at idle, sometimes my RPM's drop for a few seconds and go back up to normal. a couple times my CEL light turned on when i started the car in the morning (was unable to read the code) and would go into limp mode. after restarting the vehicle the light turns off and drives normally.

spark plugs are fresh, fuel filter is fresh. i cleaned the maf sensor a couple times. i do have k&n drop in filter, i thought maybe that was getting the maf oily. last weekend i changed my starter and cleaned the throttle bodies. im at 119k miles
Old 04-10-2013, 06:32 PM   #13
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
There is a LONG thread about this on M3F. No conclusive answer. Everyone from fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel regulator, line to fuel regulator, ICV, TPS, MAF, vacuum, ...

This issue only occurs on my car with the AC on... even weirder.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote