E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-15-2012, 07:44 AM   #21
Brian_67

My Ride: 2005 M3
Very interesting share! I hate dealers and shops who just want to replace parts without considering what the owner is telling them.
Brian_67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #22
mmmusty

My Ride: 2001 PY ///M3
My first guess would be a vacuum leak around the throttle body hoses for those particular banks... heres why:

fuel pump and MAF would affect all engine banks equally... as would the fuel filter and air filter, make sense?!

if not a vacuum leak, then O2 sensor pre cat, could be that one of the is not working properly anymore.

lastly but more unlikely i would say is the fuel injectors, this can be checked with the diagnostic computer, also try using the chevron fuel injector cleaner for a couple of gas cycles

good luck and let me know what you come up with please
mmmusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #23
andrey.kvotchenko

My Ride: 2001 m3 e46
Any insight???

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Bimmer App
andrey.kvotchenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #24
mmmusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey.kvotchenko View Post
Any insight???

yeh, actually that last post was directed for you andrey! check for vacuum leaks first and foremost, also can you tell me what, if any symptoms your having and when the codes came on the car (did you change something, have service done, after putting gas, etc.)
Old 05-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #25
mmmusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_67 View Post
Very interesting share! I hate dealers and shops who just want to replace parts without considering what the owner is telling them.
exactly my thought, the worst thing is that when it comes to cars like ours, most "good shops" want you to just leave the car with them and they have a very snooty attitude, something along the lines of, "i know what im doing, leave it with me, pay this ridiculous labor rate, and eventually ill fix the car" ...anyone can do that if they change enough parts. funny thing is, in my case, after they guaranteed that my MAF was the problem both times, and i still had the same symptoms and codes come back, i would try to explain to them that i think its something related to fuel, i would try to break it down for them, even leaving the car over nights so they can replicate the symptoms, and all i would get at the the end once they could NOT fix the car is "M3s have that kind of behavior, they sometimes have surgey idle and hesitant accel"

yeh whatever... im an idiot and you convinced me to bring my car back to you next time
Old 05-16-2012, 06:24 AM   #26
andrey.kvotchenko

Ive had an idle problem for a while now! !!!! It used to have a ses light on and my eml would kick in throwing the car in limp mode to where i couldnt accelerate.... the idle problem is when im sitting still the idle would drop real low almost bugging the car out but then it would jump back up... never actually stalling out.... decided to do some routine maintnance replaced air filter fuel filter and plugs... also cleanes the whole intake and the icv valve also installed a oil catch tank since i was driving allot off short trips and oil was getting in intake since engine wasnt warming up enoigh to seperate the oil and fumes..... ses light went off but the idle prob never went away.... i checked for cracked hoses and and stuff while intake was apart... couple months later light came back wit the 2 codes i listed above which is lean and rich banks both banks reading different sooo i automaticly thought it was the 2 precat o2 sensors... engine also knocks but i think it just needs a valve adjusment since its got 120000 on it now its 2001...... but ill wprry bout that once i take care the ses problem.....my gas mileage is not tooo bad i average 18.2 now which is better than the 16.2 i was getting before the fuel filter change.... im also thinking bout replacing vanis filter and o rings just because of the mileage on car and i dont kno when the last time that was done.... and car feels a little lag even tho that might be the o2 problem but i think vanos rebuild is still needed!! Please give me input.. thanks

Old 05-16-2012, 06:25 AM   #27
andrey.kvotchenko

Also maf has been throughly cleaned

Old 05-16-2012, 01:49 PM   #28
mmmusty

Quote:
Ive had an idle problem for a while now! !!!! It used to have a ses light on and my eml would kick in throwing the car in limp mode to where i couldnt accelerate.... the idle problem is when im sitting still the idle would drop real low almost bugging the car out but then it would jump back up... never actually stalling out.... decided to do some routine maintnance replaced air filter fuel filter and plugs... also cleanes the whole intake and the icv valve also installed a oil catch tank since i was driving allot off short trips and oil was getting in intake since engine wasnt warming up enoigh to seperate the oil and fumes..... ses light went off but the idle prob never went away.... i checked for cracked hoses and and stuff while intake was apart... couple months later light came back wit the 2 codes i listed above which is lean and rich banks both banks reading different sooo i automaticly thought it was the 2 precat o2 sensors... engine also knocks but i think it just needs a valve adjusment since its got 120000 on it now its 2001...... but ill wprry bout that once i take care the ses problem.....my gas mileage is not tooo bad i average 18.2 now which is better than the 16.2 i was getting before the fuel filter change.... im also thinking bout replacing vanis filter and o rings just because of the mileage on car and i dont kno when the last time that was done.... and car feels a little lag even tho that might be the o2 problem but i think vanos rebuild is still needed!! Please give me input.. thanks

ok, so i would say to check and replace the rubber hoses that connect each throttle body to the intake manifold (the ones that are held by a one time use clamp) you may have a leak around one or more of those which causes you to have the different codes... anyways at least check them thoroughly, they are about 20 dollars/piece to replace.

my car is the same year and has almost the same mileage as yours... i can say that i would bet your problem with the idle in particular is with your FUEL PUMP much like mine was!

Fuel filter improved your gas mileage rather drastically, and the codes remained off for a couple of months like you said after your maintenance, so the fuel filter helped. i posted a link to the fuel pump that i bought and have been using on my car, very inexpensive and excellent filter! the part was only about 70 dollars shipped and i can walk you through how to swap the part.

now for the lag and LIMP mode (EML light); also something i had. EML light refers to the throttle sensor(s) on the car from my understand and nothing else. if you have someone that can test the signal of the THROTTLE PEDAL, the FRONT TPS, and the REAR TPS, then you can save yourself some money and hassle of figuring out which one needs replacement...although i believe EML light is ONLY FOR THE THROTTLE PEDAL ASSEMBLY... just not sure so i dont want to give your wrong info.

you see, your problems are almost exactly like mine, they are multiple which cause the car to behave erratically, but they are all simple issues, nothing major

im going to post a video of my IDLE PROBLEM so you guys can see what mine was like BEFORE I CHANGED THE FUEL PUMP

let me know wussup andrey!
Old 05-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #29
mmmusty

i should also state that the video shows what my idle would be like only FOR THE FIRST START!! So if i turned the ignition off in a few seconds before the idle would get choppy, then start the car again right away, the idle would be smooth and not bouncy!

heres a link from turner motorsports site that explains what a bad fuel pump will behave like, which made me determine that it was my fuel pump and fixed my problem:

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-18...fuel-pump.aspx
Old 05-16-2012, 09:14 PM   #30
andrey.kvotchenko

So the lean and rich codes prob not the o2 sensors???

Old 05-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #31
andrey.kvotchenko

My idle is not as drastic as urs and urs seems to hop up not down mine idles at normal rpms bout 800-850 but it will randomly drop too like 400 and jump back up it is not constant like urs but bout ince every time i stop or every other time and it only drops once and then back to normal

Old 05-16-2012, 10:18 PM   #32
mmmusty

Quote:
So the lean and rich codes prob not the o2 sensors???

well the lean and rich codes CAN BE your O2 sensors, thats why i recommend as one of the best steps and money saving procedures to have the ECU thoroughly read for O2 sensors working properly, fuel trim levels, etc. given that your O2 sensors would NOT cause your idle to be as erratic as what you describe and as infrequently.

im pretty sure that its your fuel pump... given

Quote:
My idle is not as drastic as urs and urs seems to hop up not down mine idles at normal rpms bout 800-850 but it will randomly drop too like 400 and jump back up it is not constant like urs but bout ince every time i stop or every other time and it only drops once and then back to normal

Again, i would say that its your fuel pump... Mine would also settle down and smooth out after that start... it would be completely normal after the first cold start. initially, it wasnt even that bad, but things got worst to what you see in the video and the last few times i would start the car, if i didnt give it throttle the car would die.

also, similar to your case, as i would slow down for a speed bump and depress the clutch from very slow driving, my idle would dip and then jump back up like you describe... since ive fixed it, none of the above symptoms have come back.

did you read the link that i posted from turnermotorsport regarding the fuel pump symptoms? maybe compare with your own symptoms... another thing is that the fuel pumps on the m3 are a common problem as stated by many others, especially in our mileage and year cars... plus given that your fuel filter was probably really clogged, it put extra stress on the pump causing it to fail.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:21 AM   #33
andrey.kvotchenko

I read the post and idle seems like a pump issue especially since now i remember in the winter when my car idled it used to make a wierd noise from the back randomly and vibrate a lil in interval timing... can u post the link to site where u got ur fuel pump???? Also that still wont fix my ses codes right???

Old 05-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #34
mmmusty

Quote:
I read the post and idle seems like a pump issue especially since now i remember in the winter when my car idled it used to make a wierd noise from the back randomly and vibrate a lil in interval timing... can u post the link to site where u got ur fuel pump???? Also that still wont fix my ses codes right???

yeh, pump i think is going, its about that time too... so strange that even though its such a common failure, every shop and dealer that ive taken my car to with the symptoms and codes didnt mention the pump, even after changing other parts.

the link to the pump is on the step-by-step i posted in the beginning of the thread... its made by high flow performance.

I actually think that changing your pump will clear AT LEAST one of your codes... the other i think will still be due to a vacuum leak if it remains.

change the pump first... reset and drive the car, instructions are in the beginning of the thread, reset again if symptoms are gone but codes come back and see if they come back the second time. i had to reset adaptations twice after i changed the pump and they havent come back since!

let me know how it turns out.... dont be like everybody else and fix and leave lol!
Old 05-17-2012, 03:06 PM   #35
andrey.kvotchenko

Ill post after change thx for help

Old 06-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #36
andrey.kvotchenko

Fuel pump done... seems like idle problem gone reset codes will see what happens.. now i got another question... when i crank my car after all the lights turn off oil light stays on for like good 5 seconds!!!! What could it be??? Also my oil temp gauge dont work.. is it just the oil temp sensor??? Thanks for all the help

Old 06-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #37
mmmusty

Quote:
Fuel pump done... seems like idle problem gone reset codes will see what happens.. now i got another question... when i crank my car after all the lights turn off oil light stays on for like good 5 seconds!!!! What could it be??? Also my oil temp gauge dont work.. is it just the oil temp sensor??? Thanks for all the help

i was beginning to worry about you getting back to me! im so excited that i was able to help and that it fixed your idle problem at least! hopefully the codes stay away, if they come back dont forget to reset once again and drive. since ive done my second reset i havent had codes come back in well over 500 miles.

was your oil temp and oil light working normally before??! Since when have you had this problem?
Old 06-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #38
andrey.kvotchenko

Sry took sooo long been out of town just now was able to do any work.. since i refuse to just take my car to dealership and rip me off..lol but yes the gauge used to work fine and as far as i recall the light used to go off with all the other lights... thought oil lvl was just a lil low since im bad at checkun oil and the m's seem to eat a bit off oil so checked it it was a lil low sooo added some and still does the same

Old 11-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #39
bondarenkoigor

My Ride: BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmusty View Post
Whats up ladies and gents, so after having the P0172 and P0175 codes on my car for more than half a year, after an engine swap, after many other "common" parts swapped, I have found the solution(s)!

I have devised a somewhat systematic, cost-effective as well as intelligent way to go about fixing this issue.

I searched forums, took my car to the best indy shops that i wont mention, both calabasas bmw as well as beverly hills bmw... talked to a few forum members and i had not reached my solution as noone completes this after they fix their problem it seems and because the codes refer to multiple possible problems.

at any rate, im offering my help and knowledge on the subject to anybody that has this pain-in-the-ass issue and will gladly lend my hand if i can be of service to anytone. feel free to send me a PM as im not on the site often
Hi! That's exactly what i got.. P0172 and p0175 system too rich bank 1 and 2..Driving me nuts!! can't find any vacuum leaks, I replaced MAF sensor,reset the codes, SEL light was off for 2-3 days and came back on..The syptoms i got: rough cold idle, rpm are kinda bouncing around, gets better when motor warms up. Noticed lower end torque is not there, gas milage is dowm to 23 HW. Any ideas, Sir?

Last edited by bondarenkoigor; 11-26-2012 at 02:17 PM.
bondarenkoigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:35 PM   #40
mmmusty

so strange... IDK what it is, but after such a long time of noone responding to the threads you are now the third person in the past two days lol! M3s seem to **** up together in unison!! much like i told the last gentleman i talked to with very similar symptoms to yours... id be willing to bet my pinky that its your fuel pump haha. i put a link up to the fuel pump that i bought myself and i was very happy with it. i would highly recommend forgoing the OEM or walbro pumps and picking up the one in my link. lifetime warranty, only about 80 dollars shipped. if you need help with the install, let me know... i can walk you through it.

please keep me posted also as im keeping track of this from the people i try to help

BTW, how many miles on your ride?

good luck