E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-28-2004, 01:10 PM   #1
Temonio

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i
True Hip-Hop & Rap Fans

Over the last few days I've read a few different posts that kind of dissappointed me in regards to hip-hop. This is in no way a shot at anyone in particular, but I've noticed that people here don't seem to be up to snuff on their hip-hop/ rap knowledge. No, I'm not talking about particular tastes (i.e. I can't stand Jadakiss's stuff, but the man has skills and deserves his credit)I'm not sure if it's because of the East Coast style versus West Coast styled bias (which I could understand) or if it's just that most of our members are fairly young and new to this genre of music. Either way, it pisses me off when people's knowledge of the subject doesn't go past what the see on MTV or what sounds good in their rides. Sorry to spout off, but I was wondering what others feel about the same subject.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:13 PM   #2
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temonio
Over the last few days I've read a few different posts that kind of dissappointed me in regards to hip-hop. This is in no way a shot at anyone in particular, but I've noticed that people here don't seem to be up to snuff on their hip-hop/ rap knowledge. No, I'm not talking about particular tastes (i.e. I can't stand Jadakiss's stuff, but the man has skills and deserves his credit)I'm not sure if it's because of the East Coast style versus West Coast styled bias (which I could understand) or if it's just that most of our members are fairly young and new to this genre of music. Either way, it pisses me off when people's knowledge of the subject doesn't go past what the see on MTV or what sounds good in their rides. Sorry to spout off, but I was wondering what others feel about the same subject.
I think its absolutely pathetic that our kids today role models are un-educated wanna-be ganster, un-moralistic, slang talking, ebonic creating, oldies beat- ripping rappers, that 99% of the time rap only about cars, money, hoes and clothes and give our next generation of kids a false image of what is "cool" or a "goal" to shoot for......

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:16 PM   #3
Temonio

Couldn't have put it better myself. I love my hip-hop, but some f the crap I hear on the radio now makes me sick. That's why I mostly play older stuff in my car. There are a few new ones out there...mostly from the south and midwest that I can't resist because of how they sound in my car.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:18 PM   #4
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Couldn't have put it better myself. I love my hip-hop, but some f the crap I hear on the radio now makes me sick. That's why I mostly play older stuff in my car. There are a few new ones out there...mostly from the south and midwest that I can't resist because of how they sound in my car.
There are some good ones out there... but ANYTHING, and i mean ANYTHING by NELLY, JADAKISS, JA RULE, BIG TYMERS, Rubber BAnd MAN to name just a SMALL % of rappers is PURE crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:19 PM   #5
twistedangel

My Ride: 00 328i SP/ '60 Benz
Quote:
I'm feelin' ya here... what happened to the old skool summer jamz??
What happened to the "chillin w/ the homies" feel?

why is everything about @ss, clothes and liquor??

Where are the "round the way girl" songs at??
What happened to the "bedtime story" songs that were meant to educate??

What happened to the soul??
Old 07-28-2004, 01:22 PM   #6
RokRhino

My Ride: 325i
I used to try to figure out why everyone is always boasting or singing along to these bad songs. I hate when i pull up to a light and the guy or girl next to me is listening to something uninspired like lil Flip. Why does every FU*king rapper have "LiL" or "Big" infront of there names. I just roll up my windows and turn up my DEF JUX.
RokRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:24 PM   #7
twistedangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RokRhino
I used to try to figure out why everyone is always boasting or singing along to these bad songs. I hate when i pull up to a light and the guy or girl next to me is listening to something uninspired like lil Flip. Why does every FU*king rapper have "LiL" or "Big" infront of there names. I just roll up my windows and turn up my DEF JUX.
or a chick singing "till the sweat drip off my balls!"
Old 07-28-2004, 01:27 PM   #8
Unveiled

The main problem is, people can't discern between rap & hip hop. They are different..........especially underground hip hop.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:29 PM   #9
GordonMurray
Banned

My Ride: A German Motorcoach.
Quote:
Post your top 5 albums and I'll see if it's worth me even responding to you.
GordonMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:34 PM   #10
MizzMara19

My Ride: a hoopty
Send a message via AIM to MizzMara19 Send a message via Yahoo to MizzMara19
What I dont understand is all the degrading lyrics in these songs they play on the radio.. What kind of messgae is that sending to younger women??

"bounce that ass on the floor and get low"

"the ones that like to keep the dic* up inside em"

"back that ass up"

"make a pimp wanna hurt that thing"

gimmie a f-in break.

Im not saying I dont like some of the beats/rhythms to these songs because some of the production is pretty dope, its just the lyrics i could do without.
MizzMara19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:35 PM   #11
twistedangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by S54_Mongrel
The main problem is, people can't discern between rap & hip hop. They are different..........especially underground hip hop.
The main problem is there are followers that do not understand the culture or the roots. There are young people that take everything they see far too literally... they are only seeing the surface.

They aren't seeing the beginning... where you had a culture that was just being born - those that had to struggle ... vs. where the culture is now... as a group the hip hop/rap culture is comin' up... but too many people don't get it. too many people are emulating what they see on the superficial level.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:37 PM   #12
twistedangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzMara19
What I dont understand is all the degrading lyrics in these songs they play on the radio.. What kind of messgae is that sending to younger women??

"back that ass up"

gimmie a f-in break.

Im not saying I dont like some of the beats/rhythms to these songs because some of the production is pretty dope, its just the lyrics i could do without.
Girl, I hear you.

And there aren't enough artists out there drawing the line between the ladies and the hoes. That's the message that needs to get out there.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:41 PM   #13
Temonio

#1 Eric B and Rakim - Paid in Full
#2 Dr. Dre & Snoop - the Chronic
#3 Biggy...I mean Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die
(#4 is on there just because I'm a pure fan of their music)
#4 Outkast - Southernplaylistic..., ATLiens, Stankonia
#5 Wu Tang Clan -Enter the 36 Chambers

Each of my favorites have nothing to do with who I think the bests are...they are just that, my favs. Ones that defined ne eras in their time #1 is just the classic. #2 is what put the West Coast sound on the map in a more universal style (NWA was tight, but their controversy made it hard to hear their stuff on the East Coast)#3. B.I.G...nuff said! It was a masterpiece. Puffy's samply sample crazy style hadn't gotten on anyone's nerves yet, making it smooth flowing beats mixed with some of the issest ish ever recorded. #4. I love an against the grain, new innovative and the Hell what everyone else is putting out style...That being said, there last two sounded like obvious battles over which direction the two are trying to head in. #5 It brough back what Hip-hop needed at the time, a group that all had something to bring to the table (with the exception of U-God and later, Capadonna)
Old 07-28-2004, 01:45 PM   #14
GaragedM3

My Ride: nothing
i really dont know if we can judge what exactly should be called true "hip hop"

I see where you are coming from and it is obvious from some threads that the knowledge of hip hop on this forum and many car forums isnt very high. However, its just going to have to be accepted that the Tonedeffs, the Masta Aces, Tech Nines, etc will never be mainstream. I think theres a huge difference between fans who "CLAIM" to know hip hop but only have Eminem cds in their collection are the ones who need to be educated. However you still have plenty who simply enjoy all music genres and just listen to whatever the radio is putting in front of them

I think its pretty dumb though all the mainstream vs underground fights because I love both but I think thats the way it should be. Because when all is said and done they fall under one genre together. If they all were making the same exact music then where would we see any creativity? I Love all genres of music however I would say hip hop is truly what I listen to most. I believe we were all raised in different time patterns. I am 22 and yeah I heard early hip hop songs such as NWA but i didnt have a clue probably what they were really talking about until I was like 16 when I heard them again. Which is how I would say todays young generation is. They are listening to Eminem but dont truly know what hes saying. I was one of those fans who decided to do my research on hip hop however you still have those who didnt. It is those fans I dont care for.

But yeah back to topic I see where you are coming from but I guess just have to accept it for what it is.
GaragedM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:46 PM   #15
MizzMara19

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedangel
Girl, I hear you.

And there aren't enough artists out there drawing the line between the ladies and the hoes. That's the message that needs to get out there.
werd.. we need more D'angelos in the world.. at least more videos like "how does it feel" haha jk
Old 07-28-2004, 01:50 PM   #16
S4izzle
Banned

My Ride: Audi S4midable
none of you can talk about true hip-hop until you go and listen to Big L- The big Picture
S4izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:50 PM   #17
Temonio

Quote:
Girl, I hear you.

True rappers can, but that's not what sells. I'm sorry, but this where I think some of the females should take the blame. Since rap began (actually, the first recorded rap song, "Rapper's Delight") women have been the ultimate goal...them and money. But over the years women have sort of letthe industry change the way it has. As much as like to look at them, how many times have you been in a club and a song like Get Low (or any other Ying Yang song) come on and women ruch to floor talking about "That's my song...' and start making their booties clap (which is a very impressive skill by the way) or dance in the videos where they are being refered to as ho's and b-yotches?
Old 07-28-2004, 01:54 PM   #18
LAMCARTER

My Ride: 01 325CI
Quote:
Girl, I hear you.

I have to agree with the other post. Rap/ Hip hop is in a funk right now. It is about hoes, money and owning sh!t...like big body BIMMERS! But seriously, it is pretty bad. There is no distinction between ladies and hoes. Hell look at the videos, ain't no ladies in 'em. You really have to look at where the music is born and the crcumstances of the people who give birth to it. When it first started there was a sense of conscienousness even as recent as some of Pac's stuff. But Bad Boy and other east coast camps, I believe, brought in the whole bling bling era of rap/ hip hop. From there the pimp and h@e culture permeated the music and now that is all you see. Even in the hood that is all you see. Everyone wants to be a gangsta-pimp and most of the ladies act like hoes and dress like hoes to emulate what they see. Both young and old. It's all bs to me...but I love rap and I can't deny it.

Last edited by LAMCARTER; 07-28-2004 at 01:59 PM.
LAMCARTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:55 PM   #19
GaragedM3

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzMara19

"back that ass up"

gimmie a f-in break.

I believe hip hop is still very male oriented. Rock music did it too just hip hop took it to another level. Yeah its not great thought provoking lyrics but you have to take it for what it is and accept that those songs are being made regularly because go to any club and the girls are loving it while the guys are too Its what sells.. Over the years i have noticed girls love those types of songs. If they felt that strongly then get off the dance floor and stop buying their cd's. This would lead to them maybe not making as many club records degrading women. For every one girl you have getting mad about the songs you'll still have 9 others who are dancing along singing the words to Akinyele - Put It In Your Mouth, Lil Jon - Damn, Ludacris - Ho, etc. It all lies in the consumers hands. You hit the artist hard when you hit their wallets look at how united they are in stopping downloading. Its obvious that when you start hitting their bank accounts then its time when they listen.
GaragedM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:56 PM   #20
MizzMara19

Quote:
True rappers can, but that's not what sells. I'm sorry, but this where I think some of the females should take the blame. Since rap began (actually, the first recorded rap song, "Rapper's Delight") women have been the ultimate goal...them and money. But over the years women have sort of letthe industry change the way it has. As much as like to look at them, how many times have you been in a club and a song like Get Low (or any other Ying Yang song) come on and women ruch to floor talking about "That's my song...' and start making their booties clap (which is a very impressive skill by the way) or dance in the videos where they are being refered to as ho's and b-yotches?
I dont think Angel or I are trying to say that some females arent trying to purposely portray themselves as hoes. Some women could give a damn what R kelly is saying about "keep the dick up inside em".. some is the opperative word. there are lots of respectful young women out there who dont do the booty clap in the club and just like to get their groove on without "bouncin that ass and gettin low". But those are the girls who arent placed in the spotlight trying to get attention from men.