E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #41
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Some links to help whomever is discussing Meyle:

http://www.meyle.com/EN/Locations/Locations.html

http://www.meyle.com/EN/Wulf-Gaertne...roduction.html

I personally consider Meyle to be of comparable quality to Febi- very good, but maybe not quite as good as Lemforder.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #42
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy325i View Post
Never will I again purchase non OE parts. I have meyle arms on the car and they squeal like hell when i turn corners. Never purchase non oe equipment no matter what the claims are.
You installed them incorrectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teraxx View Post
If you mean me, I never said they were junk. I said that Meyle (as far as I know) doesn't manufacture their parts in Germany, but, instead, do so in China. Now, that doesn't mean the Meyle parts are junk.

But if you ask anyone on this board, would you rather pay 100 dollars for a Meyle part or 200 to 250 for one made in Germany by an OEM manufacturer, Genuine BMW or, the brand I chose, Lemforder, I think you'd receive consistent answers on which ones to choose. That is all.
I would venture to say that's incorrect. There is a daily struggle here to convince new members to avoid no name eBay junk. Meyle parts might as well be made of gold in comparison to those parts. Too many people here are too broke for OEM/Genuine parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teraxx View Post
I think you are mistaken. If you can find a factory that builds Meyle parts located physically in Germany, I will stand corrected.

Also, to say that 'it doesn't matter where a part is manufactured' is living with blinders on, sir. There's a reason Swiss watches and German industrial products are the best and most sought out in the world. High standards, high wages paid to the workers, meticulous machining and serious quality control.
I am unable to verify if they manufacture in Germany, but its beside the point. They probably don't, because it certainly would drive prices up. I stand by my initial statement that it doesn't matter where a part is manufactured or assembled. Did you completely ignore what I said, or did you just not read my post? If the design and materials are quality, and if the manufacturer adheres to ISO standards, it does not make any difference where the factory is located. It could be on mars, as long as the quality assurances practices are adhered to, the part will be identical to one coming out of Germany. It's ignorant to assume otherwise. I use Apple as an example a lot, but it works perfectly. They manufacture some of the most complex and precision consumer electrics available, and they do it all in China with almost no defective products making it to store shelves.

Manufacturing costs in places like Germany and Switzerland are cost prohibitive for many firms. They probably see a slightly lower number of defective products on the assembly line, but they pay for it 10 fold over manufacturing elsewhere. Not to mention, the products being manufactured in a place like Germany need to be so demand inelastic that people are willing to shell out quite a premium to purchase them because the manufacturing costs are so high, unfortunately most bushings and replacement parts do not have this type of elasticity.

Based on your response to me, I would venture to believe that you do not know what ISO standards actually are.

Lastly, I believe Febi is either owned by, or in a partnership with Bilstein. I've never tried Febi parts but I think I might consider than at some point.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

Last edited by tock172; 12-02-2012 at 12:27 PM.
tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #43
vandyboy

My Ride: 2001 325i
I've had my Meyle CA bushings in for two months and they are excellent. The HDs are far more substantial than the factory ones.

In my Volvo experience, clunk = shot strut mount or dead rubber piece that goes between the mount and the strut. If everything is installed correctly, strut mounts are where I would start.
vandyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #44
HolaSenor11

My Ride: 1999 328i
I apologize for the confusion but let me get this straight, the cause of this clunking was the meyle control arms?

I've been having a very similar issue on my car, i just replaced my control arm+bushing and endlink with meyle HD. Ever since i completed this, the cars been making clunking/knocking noises, usually when decelerating or making left turns.

I'll try tightening everything once i get home especially on the end links.

After getting an alignment today at the dealership, i told them about the problems and they mentioned that it would most likely be my strut mounts since they're pretty worn.

Ideas thoughts? thanks
HolaSenor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:12 PM   #45
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolaSenor11 View Post
I apologize for the confusion but let me get this straight, the cause of this clunking was the meyle control arms?

I've been having a very similar issue on my car, i just replaced my control arm+bushing and endlink with meyle HD. Ever since i completed this, the cars been making clunking/knocking noises, usually when decelerating or making left turns.

After getting an alignment today at the dealership, i told them about the problems and they mentioned that it would most likely be my strut mounts since they're pretty worn.

Ideas thoughts? thanks
Did you test the Meyle arms before you put them on? I moved the ball joints around to see if they had any play. Mine did not. Your strut mounts may be the culprit. I suspect that mine are the source of my tramlining issue. I'm gonna dump $1200 into struts/shocks/springs next spring to fix it. I say I suspect mine, but I cann't create any movement in my suspension when I lift my car up...

Last edited by WDE46; 12-12-2012 at 02:30 PM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:17 PM   #46
yetieater

My Ride: '03 330i
Check the inner nut. I haven't read the rest of the thread so sue me, but check the inner nut.

bullet proof one piece at a time
my page on BMW Performance parts for the E46: clicky
yetieater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #47
ryannel2003

My Ride: '04 Cadillac Deville
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Did you test the Meyle arms before you put them on? I moved the ball joints around to see if they had any play. Mine did not. Your strut mounts may be the culprit. I suspect that mine are the source of my tramlining issue. I'm gonna dump $1200 into struts/shocks/springs next spring to fix it.
I replaced my control arms/balljoints with Meyle HD and I still get tramlining as well. I'm replacing my shocks/struts/RTAB very soon so I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #48
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
^
You'll most likely find the problem sorted out when you replace the Rtabs.

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #49
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPR77 View Post
^
You'll most likely find the problem sorted out when you replace the Rtabs.
I've done everything but strut and shock mounts and I tramline like crazy some days.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #50
///MPR77

Quote:
I've done everything but strut and shock mounts and I tramline like crazy some days.
Are you running wide or staggered wheels/tires?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Bimmer App

Old 12-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #51
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPR77 View Post
Are you running wide or staggered wheels/tires?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Bimmer App
The standard sport staggered wheels

225/45/17 front
245/40/17 rears

I do have different brands on front and rear right now though. I'm driving them hard so I can get new ones faster, though I may just sell em.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #52
///MPR77

Quote:
The standard sport staggered wheels

225/45/17 front
245/40/17 rears

I do have different brands on front and rear right now though. I'm driving them hard so I can get new ones faster, though I may just sell em.
Yeah those sizes aren't crazy aggressive, but the mismatched rear tires, are my guess now, and its just a guess...however you will need to replace them anyway, and perhaps that's all it is.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #53
vandyboy

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:

Ideas thoughts? thanks
Like I said before, clunking in Volvoland is always strut mounts or strut bushings. I've owned 5 and it is always the case. Similar suspension set up to BMW, so I would replace them. Shouldn't be that expensive.
vandyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #54
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
I don't get why people complain about tramlining as if there's something wrong with their car's suspension. These aren't buicks. A responsive car will respond to road irregularities. It's called steering feel. (providing your suspension is maintained, you have good quality low-profile tires AND alignment.) if there's any play in your suspension, your suspension will be slower to react.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #55
HolaSenor11

Quote:
Did you test the Meyle arms before you put them on? I moved the ball joints around to see if they had any play. Mine did not. Your strut mounts may be the culprit. I suspect that mine are the source of my tramlining issue. I'm gonna dump $1200 into struts/shocks/springs next spring to fix it. I say I suspect mine, but I cann't create any movement in my suspension when I lift my car up...
Ok so i went to the dealership today to get an alignment, they told me i have a busted strut (drivers side) its leaking too. and a worn strut mount. So i'm going to replace the strut i was thinking either Koni, Meyle, or Bilstein. What do you think? I'm not trying to lower the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyboy View Post
Like I said before, clunking in Volvoland is always strut mounts or strut bushings. I've owned 5 and it is always the case. Similar suspension set up to BMW, so I would replace them. Shouldn't be that expensive.
Dealer said strut mounts were done so i'm guessing its that
Old 12-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #56
Eisenheim

My Ride: 2002 PY E46 M3
Send a message via Skype™ to Eisenheim
Had this same issue after changing my struts. Come to find out, it was because my strut mounts werent seated right. I bough new ones.... The previous owner had the wrong ones from the get go. These new ones were oem with the four posts. Slap those one, tight everything down and the clunking should be gone. Just make sure they are seated correctly. Hope this helps!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Bimmer App
Eisenheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #57
WDE46

Quote:
Ok so i went to the dealership today to get an alignment, they told me i have a busted strut (drivers side) its leaking too. and a worn strut mount. So i'm going to replace the strut i was thinking either Koni, Meyle, or Bilstein. What do you think? I'm not trying to lower the car.

Dealer said strut mounts were done so i'm guessing its that
I plan on using Bilstein sport struts and another brand springs with new mounts/reinforcements.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #58
HolaSenor11

Anyone know of some front strut kits? Good quality equal or better than oem.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #59
WDE46

Bilstein HD
Old 12-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #60
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
See my thread on Meyle Rotors being made in China to add to this Meyle discussion.

Tags
bushings, clunk noise, control arms, meyle, suspension