E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 05:25 AM   #1
dan_1337

My Ride: 330CiC
How many of you have subframe reinforcement kits installed?

Just want a gauge of the number of people who track their car, have installed a subframe reinforcement kit in their E46 (or not installed) and how many times a year you would attend a track/motorkhana event.

I can completely understand why you would put one in as a preventative measure but if you don't have it, why haven't you had it installed?

I track a handful of times a year and don't have it installed just because it's a very expensive exercise and I'm just running the risk of having my subframe tear.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
I haven't ordered my E46 Sub Frame reinforcement kit yet, but I figure I'll have one installed (welded in) within the next 3 to 4 weeks.

But,...........my reasons are quite different from yours. Unlike tracking several times a year, I see my chassis going through A LOT of high HP standing starts, for this reason I'm going forward with the install.

If my concern was tracking several times a year like yourself, I would inspect the sub frame to make sure everything looked good. If everything looked good, I would only install AKG Sub Frame bushings & Diff bushings. Very simply stated, a more ridged bushing will rock back & forth MUCH LESS than stock. Much less rocking back & forth translates into a sub frame that will probably Never tare. So if you're tracking & not abusing the chassis with standing starts, I'd say save your dollars & just do the AKG bushings.

AKG Bushings, these are the ones to buy. (IMO)
http://www.akgmotorsport.com/catalog...hp?maincat=e46

Good luck,
Rob

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
I disagree. I would absolutely install a subframe reinforcement kit on any non-M E46, as I've seen/heard of far too many ripped subframe floors (even after being repaired by BMW), some such as mine which had ZERO track time at the time of the rip.

Plus, to Rob43...if you're going to install AKG subframe bushings, you already have the subframe out, might as well clean up the area and weld in a reinforcement kit while you're already there.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:12 AM   #4
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdrivedrift View Post
I disagree. I would absolutely install a subframe reinforcement kit on any non-M E46, as I've seen/heard of far too many ripped subframe floors (even after being repaired by BMW), some such as mine which had ZERO track time at the time of the rip.

Plus, to Rob43...if you're going to install AKG subframe bushings, you already have the subframe out, might as well clean up the area and weld in a reinforcement kit while you're already there.

I hear you, and in a perfect world (money not being an issue) I'd agree.

But,....there's a huge price difference between a forum member doing his own sub frame bushing install (to save money), & having a shop do it plus weld in the reinforcement kit. You simply can't assume all E46 sub frames are already ripped, if the OP's sub frame is still in good shape, I'd install the bushings myself & call it a day.

This is my opinion, you of course you have yours; neither one is necessarily right in all situations.

Rob

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #5
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
I hear you, and in a perfect world (money not being an issue) I'd agree.

But,....there's a huge price difference between a forum member doing his own sub frame bushing install (to save money), & having a shop do it plus weld in the reinforcement kit. You simply can't assume all E46 sub frames are already ripped, if the OP's sub frame is still in good shape, I'd install the bushings myself & call it a day.

This is my opinion, you of course you have yours; neither one is necessarily right in all situations.

Rob
I figure if you are willing to hire a mobile welder and do the prep yourself, it is "only" another few hundred dollars to weld in the kit...which is insurance against having to drop the subframe again to do it when/if it rips. If a shop is doing a subframe bushing install, they might as well go ahead and do the subframe reinforcement while they're at it
Old 03-04-2012, 11:36 PM   #6
dan_1337

My Ride: 330CiC
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I was more looking for numbers on how many guys who track have the reinforcement done due to the well documented fact that our subframes (M or non-M) are weak, and that tracking a car generally puts it under more stress than driving it around on the street - no matter how hard you drive on the street!
Old 03-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i
I've yet to really understand why its of such importance for track vehicles to have the subframe re-inforcement done as opposed to street cars. If you're doing hardcore standing starts, then thats another thing.

From what I understand, the subframe has the most force on it during intense torque changes. Once you are at speed, smooth throttle application is the name of the game, so I'm not really following how track usage puts any more stress on the subframe mounts. Cornering forces are not the reason for the failures.

1999 BMW 328i (Daily Driver) - m54b30 intake manifold, ebay headers, Rebirth Motorsports CAI, Rogue Engineering underive pulleys, Epic Motorsports Remote Dyno Tune, Custom 3 inch exhaust with Burns Merge, Schrick 264/248 Cams
jared_wiesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #8
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
I have the reinforcement kit welded in along with Powerflex yellow subframe bushes, I should've went with black bushes but its too late now. I've tracked my car a few times since I got it and did 4 autoX events, I do however drive my car like it aint mine everyday and I try to enjoy every bit of what its got and thats why I got those installed, plus I knew that E46 subfloor is ripping as it is on normal street driven cars so it was a good preventative measure for me.

Rob pointed out AKG bushes which are very good and I would also recommend then to anyone without a doubt, I have AKG tranny bushes on my car and love them. AKG makes top notch products!!!

jared_wiesner, hard cornering does put alot of stress on the sibframe, now not as much as if the car was drag raced all the time but definitely more stress then a street driven car. You're right that the subframe experiences alot of stress during intense torque changes but a street car doesnt experience those much, how many people drag race their E46 from stop light to stop light??? On the track the force of hard cornering travels through your rear end shocks, sway, control arm bushes all transmit that force into your sunframe bushes and if those are wear and old they'll transmit it to the subfloor which is weak as it is.

Best thing to do would be to get new (stiffer or even solid) subframe bushes along with reinforcement plates as if you put the plates and leave the old weak bushes untouched then you probably didnt change much. BUT , money being the most issue with car owners, second best thing would be to install new sunbframe bushes (as stiff as possible) and make sure all your other bushes are up to date (rsm, rtab,diff bush and most important YOUR SHOCKS )

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:52 PM   #9
NBMW

My Ride: A BMW
Subframe reinforcement done here. I try to go the track at least once every 2 months.....
NBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #10
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
I've done the reinforcements. I wouldn't rush to ONLY have the reinforcements done. At the same time, if your subframe bushings are old or have a lot of mileage on them...I would do the reinforcement while replacing the bushings. I think solid bushings in this location are the way to go.

The whole problem is you can't really check the bushings unless you remove the subframe.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:39 PM   #11
MSportBMW

My Ride: E46, EVO8
Prior to getting my reinforcements done I had no cracks/tears etc but just wanted to put the matter to rest as I always had that subtle, annoying thought of tears around those "problem" spots. I attended about two track days (2x4hr sessions) here at EC before having my chassis strengthened. Loved the track time and well wanted to continue doing it whenever I could. I understand that occasional track-use is a costly past time but I believe having the reinforcements done is worthwhile.

Just as important though is replacing the old, fatigued bushings. So best to have this done at the same time.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #12
DOCTOR 3VIL

My Ride: e46 m3
I have it. Why risk it? I track about 10x/year.
I'm never selling my car and it's pretty much a track car only. Piece of mind!

V-CSL Roof/Evosport headers/Evolve Tune/3.91/Moton CS/Evolve/Autopower Roll bar/Sparco Evo 2/Brembo
DOCTOR 3VIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #13
02black330ci

My Ride: spaceship
I waited to have mine done and when taken in to have my TCKline dual set up and corner balanced, they checked and found 3 cracks !

So now I am going to have it done soon, along with bushings, etc.

02black330ci is offline   Reply With Quote