E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
HiHoBrian

My Ride: 05 M3
Install UUC clutch or not?

I recently got a good deal on a UUC lightweight E46 M3 flywheel with the M5 clutch assy. I have normal mods like headers,intake,wheels ect. My car is an 05 with 60k miles on it and I have no issues with the current clutch at all. I drive like a typical E46Fanatic with a modded M3 and plan on doing a two or three Auto X events,and maybe one track day at Poccono sometime. FI is a possiblity in the future. All my maint is up to date. Is this clutch an upgrade worth doing,or could it become more headaches than a person needs?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
won't be any headaches expect for your left foot. i would say wait tell your stock burns out or you can burn through your current clutch and have some real fun while your doing it then just put in the uuc
Old 05-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #3
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Great mod. Do it.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
HiHoBrian

There are a few members on a different forum that really are against the uuc clutch. They mostly tied thier claims in with poor customer service. Although I havent seen any actual evidence either good or bad about the part itself. I would like to hear from someone that has this setup now if possible.

Last edited by HiHoBrian; 05-08-2012 at 10:13 PM.
HiHoBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #5
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
I have the setup on my 330. I love it. One of my favorite mods.

You're going to get noise with just about any LTW flywheel. If a little gear lash is going to bother you, don't do it.

It feels like you pulled a couple hundred pounds off your car for lower gears. Revs feel good.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
HiHoBrian

My exhaust is probably loud enough to drown some chatter out. Looks like I'm going to install it. Thanks.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:19 AM   #7
DarkJoker

My Ride: 01 330ci
^chatter is at idle
i still hear it running straight pipes
i also have the uuc setup in my car 330ci
and i dont think its a leg killer by any means

if i could change anything about every bmw
it would be the pressure engagement
its to soft with no push back on pedal return

i was hoping with that setup it would be a harder pedal to push but to me it is not
i also have done the mason engineering "short shift pedal"
to help it and it did in a minor form

my next experiment is changing out the return spring to see if i can get the desired feel i want
Old 05-10-2012, 09:03 AM   #8
poopfacekillah

My Ride: 11 X5 35D, 02 330XI
I did a stage 2 CNS racing clutch in my old M and wanted to kill myself during the break in period. It was like an on/off switch. Made me want to sell the car... so I did.
poopfacekillah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #9
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopfacekillah View Post
I did a stage 2 CNS racing clutch in my old M and wanted to kill myself during the break in period. It was like an on/off switch. Made me want to sell the car... so I did.
How does this have anything to do with the subject of this thread which was looking for feedback on UUC clutches?
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #10
HiHoBrian

Quote:
I would sell my body to John Travolta before I would ever sell my car due to a mod that can be corrected.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:00 AM   #11
poopfacekillah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
How does this have anything to do with the subject of this thread which was looking for feedback on UUC clutches?
Well, doesnt UUC make different levels/stages? I looked at them when I was looking at doing the clutch. I was just advising to not go too high of a performance clutch without taking into account what else is affected.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #12
poopfacekillah

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoBrian View Post
I would sell my body to John Travolta before I would ever sell my car due to a mod that can be corrected.
No? But would you sell an 05 TDI passat and an e39 M5 so you could buy a 2011 X5 35D? 'cause that is what I did.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #13
HiHoBrian

Quote:
No? But would you sell an 05 TDI passat and an e39 M5 so you could buy a 2011 X5 35D? 'cause that is what I did.
Not where I am in life. Tdi has extreme fuel milage potential,e39 m5 is awesome,but getting a little old by now. I live on my own with no kids. X5 would just be a glorified station wagon for me. I don't even have enough friends to justify having something that big.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:12 AM   #14
lejeunebimmer

My Ride: 02' M3 SMG, 02' 330i
Quote:
Passat? Yes!

E39 M5?

You must be outside of your mind, unless you needed a tow vehicle for a track toy.
330i - AA Tuned, Headers, UUC Stage I LW FW, e36 M3 Clutch, UUC SS Clutch line, BMW Performance Intake, Evo Sport Pulleys, BMW Performance Cross-Drilled Rotors, Hawk HPS, BW SS Brake Lines, BW Solid Guide Bushings, BMW Performance CF Strut Brace, H&R Sways, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, Powerflex Bushings, LED Tails, Clear Sides/Turns, Black Grill, Mtech 2, CF Splitters

M3 - Not enough room to list
lejeunebimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #15
poopfacekillah

Yeah, I'm not trying to thread jack, but I needed a vehicle with cargo space for the dogs. The M was in great shape for a 2002, but combination factors (only a single car garage, DC traffic blows cats, and I like to switch up my vehicles rather frequently) dictated that it was time to go. If i can ever sell my stupid house then I will get another M, but it will be an F10. My toy hauler is an 03 Ram 2500 Cummins and 18ft trailer.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #16
bobm3
Senior Eurowerkz Member

My Ride: 2003m3smg
yes do it

the flywheel and clutch are very close to each other if you only do one of them its going to cost you money again to get to the clutch most people change both things at once to save money in the long run of things...
bob
Old 05-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #17
HiHoBrian

And also back on topic,if you bought an m5 clutch for your m5 and engagement was on/off then possibly you got the wrong compund,or an overly agressive pressure plate. That is what I am looking to confirm with this specific Uuc clutch. Mine is organic compound so I think I am all set.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #18
DarkJoker

My Ride: 01 330ci
Thats the same setup i have
Performance organic

Its a close to stock feel
But theres a difference between stock and the uuc stage 2

Sent from my EVO using Bimmer App