E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #1
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
The Ultimate Black Leather Care

Sup Fanatics, I just got a shipment of a new leather care product to my house and I was dumbfounded with how great it works. I've tried a lot of different products, but with this, I instantly saw the results. It's called Doc Bailey's Leather Care.

https://www.leatherclear.com/cgi-bin/store/pid_01.htm

I have been using Lexol, Armor All, Black Magic, Meguiar's, and then finally Leatherique, but none of this can hold a match to this. Don't even think twice, just buy it. My cracks on the lats of my front seats were instantly sealed and got better by 100%. It has a black dye in it that dries to a matte color, and then waterproofs. Finish it off with doc bailey's clear or tonic and you will guarenteed have better than new leather. Just my two cents. Give it a try and find out.
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
zhenkaaaM3

My Ride: Fst'r then your e46
before and after pics? I do have cracks on my seats as well that bother the hell out of me.

I used to be an e46 owner. I love this one more.

zhenkaaaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
Grande D

My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
It works well but it'll wear off- you'll have to use it fairly often. It's hiding as well as conditioning- but not really fixing anything.

i spend it while i can, if i run out i'll swallow all my meds
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #4
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
It works well but it'll wear off- you'll have to use it fairly often. It's hiding as well as conditioning- but not really fixing anything.
Why am I not surprised. OP is 19. He'll learn.

The best repair is prevention. Regular cleaning and conditioning with watching how you get in/out of your car. If it's already damaged, time for new covers.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #5
DHK

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325Ci
Stuff it a cheap bandaid.... I mean its not bad if thats what you want it for, but new leather lasts a few years... this thing even says reapply as needed every 6 months.
DHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
Adamo99

My Ride: 330Ci vert
Exactly what I'm looking for, thanks- need to clean up the leather before trading the car in.
Adamo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #7
Lionelski

My Ride: 325CIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46tknv View Post
before and after pics? I do have cracks on my seats as well that bother the hell out of me.
I think it might be too late to take a before pic

Sport Package, Premium Package
Racing Dynamics Strut Tower Brace
Conforti Shark Injector, Conforti CAI
Interior: Leather, Euro Tray, M3 Dead Pedal
Lionelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
JayKayo
Account closed at users request

My Ride: 2005 330Ci ZHP
Send a message via AIM to JayKayo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
Sup Fanatics, I just got a shipment of a new leather care product to my house and I was dumbfounded with how great it works. I've tried a lot of different products, but with this, I instantly saw the results. It's called Doc Bailey's Leather Care.

https://www.leatherclear.com/cgi-bin/store/pid_01.htm

I have been using Lexol, Armor All, Black Magic, Meguiar's, and then finally Leatherique, but none of this can hold a match to this. Don't even think twice, just buy it. My cracks on the lats of my front seats were instantly sealed and got better by 100%. It has a black dye in it that dries to a matte color, and then waterproofs. Finish it off with doc bailey's clear or tonic and you will guarenteed have better than new leather. Just my two cents. Give it a try and find out.
Wrong. Meguiar's has never failed me. You're probably just not applying it correctly.
Use your bare hands and massage it into the leather, then use a cloth to wipe the excess off. Sounds simple, because it is.
I'm sure my seats look almost factory new. I put up a few pics of my totaled 325Ci a week or two ago and people kept PM'ing me offers for the seats.
JayKayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #9
Sweetness

I've used everything. Meguiar's is way too glossy, and if you take a wet rag and wipe the seats...your rag will be filthy black. Leatherique takes a day to work, and only in higher temperatures.

And yes, it's a temporary fix, but it's better than nothing. Of course it needs re-applied, pretty much everything on planet earth breaks down with age. And even If I am 19, I've spent many years working with family cars to see.

You don't have to buy it. I'm just throwing this out there for anyone who wants to give it a try like me. I'm not even lying when I say the cracks disappeared.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #10
JayKayo
Account closed at users request

My Ride: 2005 330Ci ZHP
Send a message via AIM to JayKayo
You shouldn't be wiping it off with a wet rag to begin with.
To each his own. And there is a variety of Meguiar's leather care products, not just one.
I've used it on my leather jackets before and it works great on them too.
JayKayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:39 AM   #11
Grande D

Quote:
I've used everything. Meguiar's is way too glossy, and if you take a wet rag and wipe the seats...your rag will be filthy black. Leatherique takes a day to work, and only in higher temperatures.

And yes, it's a temporary fix, but it's better than nothing. Of course it needs re-applied, pretty much everything on planet earth breaks down with age. And even If I am 19, I've spent many years working with family cars to see.

You don't have to buy it. I'm just throwing this out there for anyone who wants to give it a try like me. I'm not even lying when I say the cracks disappeared.
You have not used everything. All of that OTC crap you have used is pretty much the same. Leather Masters is the best overall lineup for protection- Leatherique is also quite good but they can't fix what is broken- and neither can Doc Bailey's. Try a good dye lineup like LeatherWorldTech, ColorPlus, or even SEM color coat for a real dye fix that will also (sort of) fill cracks.

Cracks begin when the clear coat our leather has fails, allowing dirt in and forming a crease. Doc Bailey's temporarily fills those cracks. Doc Bailey's is a filler like Kiwi leather dye, it will probably last a month or two and degrade from there over six months. Good dye lasts much longer.

Al I can tell you is no girl is gonna be happy when they get tagged with Liquid Wrench on the way in your car and get a nice black stain on their shorts from Doc Bailey's on the way out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKayo View Post
You shouldn't be wiping it off with a wet rag to begin with.
To each his own. And there is a variety of Meguiar's leather care products, not just one.
I've used it on my leather jackets before and it works great on them too.
It's actually not a bad practice if it is just barely damp. Dirt is much worse for leather than water.

Last edited by Grande D; 05-09-2012 at 06:40 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #12
Sweetness

Quote:
You have not used everything. All of that OTC crap you have used is pretty much the same. Leather Masters is the best overall lineup for protection- Leatherique is also quite good but they can't fix what is broken- and neither can Doc Bailey's. Try a good dye lineup like LeatherWorldTech, ColorPlus, or even SEM color coat for a real dye fix that will also (sort of) fill cracks.

Cracks begin when the clear coat our leather has fails, allowing dirt in and forming a crease. Doc Bailey's temporarily fills those cracks. Doc Bailey's is a filler like Kiwi leather dye, it will probably last a month or two and degrade from there over six months. Good dye lasts much longer.

Al I can tell you is no girl is gonna be happy when they get tagged with Liquid Wrench on the way in your car and get a nice black stain on their shorts from Doc Bailey's on the way out.

It's actually not a bad practice if it is just barely damp. Dirt is much worse for leather than water.
Dear, Sir. Please read. I said the Liquid Wrench does not leave any residue behind, and neither does the Doc Baileys. Be optimisitic!
Old 05-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #13
Grande D

Quote:
Dear, Sir. Please read. I said the Liquid Wrench does not leave any residue behind, and neither does the Doc Baileys. Be optimisitic!
You said that but I know better. What makes you think I don't have experience with both? Liquid Wrench does not soak in- not the majority of it anyway.

Doc Bailey's won't wear off visibly in most cases but I wouldn't like to see what happens with it on a hot day. Clearly it eventually wears off as it doesn't last long.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:48 PM   #14
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
+1

A damp cloth works wonders to get the seats a little cleaner or to wipe off the excess cleaner you have on the seats.

Also, Leatherique Pristine Clean does not need hot temperatures to work though it does help. The oil, however, does need the temp but you shouldn't have to do that more than once a year or every other year anyway.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #15
Sweetness

Update:

This still has been one of the best things I have done to my interior. To most of us who are not the 1st owner of the cars, there isn't really an option to be "preventative" about leather wear. When I got my car, the side bolsters were heavily worn and it was showing through. A lot of conditioners just went over it, and then got soaked into the leather and took a bite of it out; however, Doc Bailey's took nearly 90% of the wear out. It dries instantly, and you can sit down on the seats with all white clothes 15 minutes later and nothing will happen to you. My best thing is to apply Doc Bailey's, then come back the next day and wipe down with Lexol. A lot of black residue will be removed from the Doc Bailey's, but the seat remains the same (just better sheen from the Lexol application.) I also use Leatherique twice a year, and this combo of Lexol-Doc Baileys- Leatherique has really rescued the interior of my car. A must buy combo for everybody.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #16
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
I have both Leatherique and Leathermaster in my detailing cabinet. I've tried almost everything OTC and I wasn't impressed. I started out with leatherique, but I've found the leather master system to work much better. I love it. I have 2 scratches in my leather and I've just had to accept them at this point. I would prefer a cloth interior anyway.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

Last edited by tock172; 04-22-2013 at 07:49 PM.
tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:51 PM   #17
Sweetness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
I have both Leatherique and Leathermaster in my detailing cabinet. I've tried almost everything OTC and I wasn't impressed. I started out with leatherique, but I've found the leather master system to work much better. I love it. I have 2 scratches in my leather and I've just had to accept them at this point. I would prefer a cloth interior anyway.
I too have Leatherique. I also have Lexol. I also have Doc Bailey's.

Lexol- Quick Refreshes (2-3 times a month)
Leatherique- Drastic Replenishing of whole hide (1-2 times a year)
Doc Bailey- Moderate Replenishing of Color (1 time every 3 months)
Old 04-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #18
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 M3
Pics aren't loading...

sent from my ATARI sc1224
Old 04-22-2013, 08:10 PM   #19
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:
I too have Leatherique. I also have Lexol. I also have Doc Bailey's.

Lexol- Quick Refreshes (2-3 times a month)
Leatherique- Drastic Replenishing of whole hide (1-2 times a year)
Doc Bailey- Moderate Replenishing of Color (1 time every 3 months)
From what I understand, Lexol isn't the best choice for a modern BMW.

Quote:
The common Lexol cleaners and conditioners (brown and orange bottles) are not meant for the leather found in modern BMWs, or most other manufacturers for that matter. BMW leather is urethane protected semi-aniline leather, meaning it has a protective coating (think clear coat for leather) over the hide. This type of leather has a low absorbancy rate, so water-based cleaners and conditioners are required, whereas oil-based cleaners and conditioners (Lexol) won't be absorbed by the surface, as it's moisture resistant.

Lexol is oil based, and using oil-based products on urethane coated leather accelerates the breakdown of the urethane layer.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #20
Sweetness

Nice find!!!