E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 06:28 AM   #1
patch06

My Ride: 325i
325i AA HKS cylinder 6 no ignition..

Hi guys,
so just a little background. I bought a AA HKS kit for my 325 a while back on Sale. Finally had HPF install if for me in portland. it dynoed about 260 WHP on the printouts i got, about 300ish BHP.
Car has Technic Gen 3 headers, Dinan Throttle body on it now. Not quite the 330 - 340 I was hoping for.

I only have 628 miles on the car now with the kit. Its got a great power band and smooth power thats very drivable and lots of torque. Its still idle hunting at startup, this has been happening since the install. I have all new boots and haven't found a vacuum leak. The ICV is cleaned out. I still haven't replaced the Vanos seals but thats on the list.

Here's the current problem, the car started vibrating really bad a few days ago and after scanning it I see cylinder 6 was misfiring and not getting any spark

I have swapped coils, boots and plugs with other working cylinders and nothing has changed. i was next going to try to swap injectors but those are brand new as well as a new fuel filter.

Any other ideas or experiences with this? I see cylinder 6 problems on searches for e46.

The connector to the coil was getting 12v on pin 15 , not sure what i could look for on the other 2 pins?

I will try to swap injectors from 6 to a working cylinder tomorrow. Just got done with the car and its time to goto bed.

And yes I will call Viral tomorrow and see what he says

thanks any help would be appreciated

Last edited by patch06; 06-18-2012 at 06:54 AM.
patch06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
patch06

Waiting for a call from AA and also going to take the suspect injector to HPF today.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:01 AM   #3
patch06

no call back from AA after talking to them.

I took all the injectors to HPF and they all tested, came back all the same at 280, i think they are rated at 3bar 320 but at least hey are all the same.

so this leaves me with ECU, wiring harness (not likely) and bad rings, piston, etc OUCH.....

Not happy with this, HPF service is impeccable...
Old 06-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #4
Ky///m3

My Ride: 1988 E30 M3
hope you get this figured out soon

2006 E46 M3 HPF stg II SOLD
1988 E30 M3 Touring Class
1995 E36 M3 I-Prepared Class
Ky///m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
joejo9795

My Ride: 323IA E46
In my opinion, the problem is from coil pack. Try to get a new one.
HIOP Racetec 3.0L Stroker Kit, Active Autowerke Supercharger Kit with Rotrex C38-71 stage II, intercooler kit, Dr. Schrick Camshaft, EMP Stewart Water Pump,Supersprint Style Header, Magnaflow Race Cat, Eisenmann Race System Dual Exhaust Tips, UUC Short Shifter EVO3 with DSSR, UUC Stage II Aluminum Lightweight Flywheel with Performance Organic Clutch, QUAIFE LSD, AEM Water Injection Kit.
joejo9795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #6
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by patch06 View Post
so this leaves me with ECU, wiring harness (not likely) and bad rings, piston, etc OUCH.....
In situations like this, never assume anything or discount any possibility. As sure as you do, that's where the problem will be. Check the harness at the #6 injector to ensure it's making a proper connection.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #7
patch06

Thanks guys , as in OP I have swapped the coils out with other cylinders and cars and they all don't work
Today I am going to put a timing light on the coil connector to test, a noid light on injector harness and check compression
Old 06-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #8
Andrew@Activeautowerke
Sponsor

My Ride: 135 Fbo+meth & E85
If you still have any issues you think we may be able to help you with please give us a call and speak to either Karl or Craig.

Email:AFish@ActiveAutowerke.com |Phone:305-233-9300 Ext:227 |Web: www.ActiveAutowerke.com

Authorized Dealer Of | Stop Tech | Brembo | KW Suspensions | Jrz Suspensions | BC Wheels | BC Suspensions | Strasse Forged Wheels | Michelin Tires
Andrew@Activeautowerke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:57 AM   #9
patch06

Hi Andrew,
I am still having issues and those include getting a call back from AA. I am now in Europe for a week and cant work on the car. I will email you and would like some help comments on the problems at hand

i have 600 miles on this kit.

The issues I have are
1 The car is running on 5 cylinders
2 AA has been extremely difficult to get a hold of or get answers from, I have repeatedly been told I would get call backs and had to call back multiple times to get any answers. This started during the install and has continued.
3 Lots of inconsistency in the Kit. We were questioned by technicians as to why we had certain parts including the intercooler(we were told it was the wrong one). All parts came directly out of the box that was shipped to me when I purchased the kit. Custom brackets were made to fit the intercooler.
4 I was originally sent the wrong tune and the car wouldn't run. Had to send back.
5 This car has a huge problem Idle hunting. You have to let the car completely warmup or the revs are bouncing all over the place. I called repeatedly about this and wrote emails and have never been given a reason why this is happening. I have checked for vacuum leaks, checked the ICV as well and this has not helped. Its not drivable until it warms up (neighbors love me...)
6 Whats up with the claims of 330 - 340 HP?
on your webpage you list
Performance Specs
Power : 345 BHP @ 7000 rpm
Torque : 260 ft/lbs @ 5400 rpm
Boost Level : 8.0 psi

after that it goes on to recommend exhaust and headers. This implies that you additionally could get those parts not that they are factored into the specs.

I currently have Technik gen 3 headers and a Dinan throttle body and I am getting 260 RWHP. Whats are the other cars that are making 330 - 345 to the crank with this kit and what is the setup?

I dont want to sound negative but I am getting frustrated with this kit and just want it to work and get some support

thanks

Last edited by patch06; 06-18-2012 at 07:44 AM.
patch06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:27 AM   #10
BimmerBrakes
The Brake Newbie!

My Ride: 2005 ZHP BMW
Send a message via AIM to BimmerBrakes
Hp gains just varies on engine condition and transmission type. Do you have a standard?

Last edited by BimmerBrakes; 06-18-2012 at 07:30 AM.
BimmerBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:46 AM   #11
patch06

yes its a 5 speed. I know it varies but if they are getting 345 cars with just the SC kit without any headers, exhaust and meth I would like to see that. Im starting to think the 345BHP is with headers, exhaust, and possibly meth.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:38 AM   #12
Viral@ActiveAutowerke
Sponsor

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
yes its a 5 speed. I know it varies but if they are getting 345 cars with just the SC kit without any headers, exhaust and meth I would like to see that. Im starting to think the 345BHP is with headers, exhaust, and possibly meth.
The Full 345 BHP is obtainable with healthy Engine Compression, Performance Headers and Free Flow Exhaust. Please send me a direct E-mail with the following current issues vehicle that way we can find a solution quickly to have you up and running as soon as possible. Looking forward to hear back from you soon.
Phone: 305.233.9300 Ext. 232 | Fax: 305-253-8921
Viral@ActiveAutowerke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:26 AM   #13
patch06

Update here.
Noid test showed injectors were geting sent power properly.
Compression test was not so good. Finally got the tester back from being loaned out.

1 212 and a audible pop came on about the 6th time turning over?
2 195
3 204
4 205
5 204
6 ZERO wet or dry

valves?

I sent this info to AA thursday morning and waiting for a reply. Will do a leakdown when I can borrow a tester.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:36 AM   #14
Viral@ActiveAutowerke
Sponsor

Quote:
Update here.
Noid test showed injectors were geting sent power properly.
Compression test was not so good. Finally got the tester back from being loaned out.

1 212 and a audible pop came on about the 6th time turning over?
2 195
3 204
4 205
5 204
6 ZERO wet or dry

valves?

I sent this info to AA thursday morning and waiting for a reply. Will do a leakdown when I can borrow a tester.
I have forwarded this information to our Engineers but if you could perform a leakdown test as well that way I can provide that additional information to our Engineers as well. If you have any questions please contact me directly via E-Mail at Viral@activeautowerke.com
Old 08-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #15
patch06

OK I will do a leakdown, Are you receiving emails, I sent them thursday morning and never heard back except for now on this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral@ActiveAutowerke View Post
I have forwarded this information to our Engineers but if you could perform a leakdown test as well that way I can provide that additional information to our Engineers as well. If you have any questions please contact me directly via E-Mail at Viral@activeautowerke.com
Old 08-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #16
m3816

My Ride: M3 e46
Patch06. The AA guys are good people, but you need to stay on top of your problem and keep communication strong. Craig is the man who could help diagnose your problems, but he is quiet busy as he is their supercharger expert. Everytime I have gotten him on the phone he has been great and very helpful. Just call them a few times through out the day and ask to speak with craig.

It is a pain as I am facing some problems with my kit also, but these guys continue to help and support their kits often even if the "technical warranty" time is expired.
m3816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:43 PM   #17
Viral@ActiveAutowerke
Sponsor

Quote:
OK I will do a leakdown, Are you receiving emails, I sent them thursday morning and never heard back except for now on this forum
Yes, I did receive your E-Mail and forwarded it over to our Engineering Staff since they would be the only one's that assist you with this issue. I can only communicate and direct you to correct the correct department to help you with this issue over the forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3816 View Post
Patch06. The AA guys are good people, but you need to stay on top of your problem and keep communication strong. Craig is the man who could help diagnose your problems, but he is quiet busy as he is their supercharger expert. Everytime I have gotten him on the phone he has been great and very helpful. Just call them a few times through out the day and ask to speak with craig.

It is a pain as I am facing some problems with my kit also, but these guys continue to help and support their kits often even if the "technical warranty" time is expired.
Thank you sir for chiming in with your experience, at the end of the day we are all enthusiasts. I want you all regardless of what system or modifications you have on to enjoy these Performance Upgrades the way it was intended.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #18
patch06

thanks guys, i get thats whats happening but even upon multiple calls its frustrating that posting here is the quickest way to get a reply. I get being good people but after purchasing this product I would expect more. I get more support on this from a local company that has no vested interest in this but purely as enthusiast than I do from AA. I just dont have the time in the day to keep calling someone all day.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #19
patch06

Well Folks I can say that I'm stunned. After sending compression results again (sent almost 3 weeks ago, posted here 2 weeks ago) AA seems like they had time to read them and responded by saying there was too much that could have happened , that since they didnt do the install they cant be liable, without seeing it in-person they cant help. Nothing else, no suggestions, not direction to take. I have 600 miles on the car with the SC and have owned the car for 11 years and know its not been abused. Since they didn't do the install i am left out in the cold. The SC was installed by a very reputable company and I am just told they are sorry to hear this.

I had actually purchased a VF kit prior to this AA kit and before even installing I sold it. I wanted to make sure I had a good kit with good support. Unfortunately I seem to have made the wring choice again. I will get this car running and make some hard decisions soon.

Any feedback on next course of action is welcome.

thanks
Old 08-20-2012, 09:01 PM   #20
Andrew@Activeautowerke
Sponsor

My Ride: 135 Fbo+meth & E85
Carlos,

I can totally understand your frustration no one ever wants to hear they have a cylinder down. However I have yet to see any information that leads you to believe we have done anything wrong in our design,tune ect...

Was a compression test or any other engine health related tests done before installing a supercharger kit?

Please understand it is very hard to diagnose a vehicle through email and we are doing the best we can with the information you have provided.

Email:AFish@ActiveAutowerke.com |Phone:305-233-9300 Ext:227 |Web: www.ActiveAutowerke.com

Authorized Dealer Of | Stop Tech | Brembo | KW Suspensions | Jrz Suspensions | BC Wheels | BC Suspensions | Strasse Forged Wheels | Michelin Tires

Last edited by Andrew@Activeautowerke; 08-20-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Andrew@Activeautowerke is offline   Reply With Quote