E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
BMW_Knight

My Ride: STG2 ZHP,E70 X5(DD)
Send a message via ICQ to BMW_Knight Send a message via AIM to BMW_Knight
AEM UEGO Probelm

Having issues with my wide band.

When I start the car, the gauge goes all the way lean with a ---

I have had the sensor on for about 2000 miles if that. I am not throwing a cell and INPA shows my factory sensors at around 50% mixture at idle.

Should I try to clean the sensor or purchase a new one? What would make it go bad that fast?

Ay ideas? I hate driving without the gauge.

Thanks to: www.getbmwparts.com www.aatuning.com www.toyotires.com
Eurowerkz Mid-Atlantic Regional Director
Join the Eurowerkz Facebook Fan Site : Click Here
Need your car coded with Euro Options? (Remote Windows up, Corner delete, DRL off, etc.) PM Me
BMW_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
SweTurbo
Banned User

My Ride: 323i -98
New sensor.

Lead fuel or high temps Make the sensor go bad.
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Location: Well, Dick, here's the deal: I'm the best there is, plain and simple. I mean, I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence. You know, nobody can hang with my stuff.
My Ride: Is very FAST
Most of my customers don't even get 2000 miles out of those AEMs!
Sound Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Performance View Post
Most of my customers don't even get 2000 miles out of those AEMs!
Crazy! I personally got over 15000miles on mine before I changed it...and it still works fine I just got over ambitious. I know somewhere between 350-500gal of 110 leaded fuel for that sensor as well.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
TiAg2247

My Ride: E39 M5 | E55 AMG
Hah, perfect timing. I was just looking into buying some AEM gauges. What else would you guys recommend?

PS. OP, please check your PM when you have a few

Imola Red M5 | Imola Red Interior
M-Audio, Power Sunshades, GT Exhaust, Custom BC Coilovers, 19x10 + 19x11 Rial Dayonta Race, Michelin PSS
Past:
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver on Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black on Black
TiAg2247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #6
BimmerBrakes
The Brake Newbie!

My Ride: 2005 ZHP BMW
Send a message via AIM to BimmerBrakes
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiag2247 View Post
hah, perfect timing. I was just looking into buying some aem gauges. What else would you guys recommend?

Ps. Op, please check your pm when you have a few
lc-1
BimmerBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #7
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Location: Well, Dick, here's the deal: I'm the best there is, plain and simple. I mean, I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence. You know, nobody can hang with my stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Crazy! I personally got over 15000miles on mine before I changed it...and it still works fine I just got over ambitious. I know somewhere between 350-500gal of 110 leaded fuel for that sensor as well.
No way!! I sell 5 or 6 of those sensors per week! Ive had one customer go through 4 this summer!! The guys that only drive their cars on weekends and on leaded fuel go through them all the time! Funny thing is that most people dont even know when they are bad as they still read seemingly ok, just their response time gets very slow.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:38 AM   #8
SweTurbo
Banned User

My Ride: 323i -98
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBrakes View Post
lc-1
I'd say MTX-L if he wants the gauge

Quote:
No way!! I sell 5 or 6 of those sensors per week! Ive had one customer go through 4 this summer!! The guys that only drive their cars on weekends and on leaded fuel go through them all the time! Funny thing is that most people dont even know when they are bad as they still read seemingly ok, just their response time gets very slow.
Agreed , though the AEM does use bosch sensors right ?
Word around swedish forums is that the AEM heats the sensor too quickly, in a few seconds i've heard while "real" units do do it over 10 times that time.
Any thoughts on that ?
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:28 AM   #9
BMW_Knight

Quote:

Yeah I only drive it on weekends. Does AEM warranty these things?

This is annoying. The replacement sensors go for around $80.

Funny that my oem sensors are fine.

Need your car coded with Euro Options? (Remote Windows up, Corner delete, DRL off, etc.) PM Me
Old 09-12-2012, 09:07 AM   #10
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweTurbo View Post
Word around swedish forums is that the AEM heats the sensor too quickly, in a few seconds i've heard while "real" units do do it over 10 times that time.
Any thoughts on that ?
Yes, that is 100% the problem.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #11
kidrobot_

My Ride: 2003 M3 Coupe
I'd say secondary air pump as part of the start-up sequence. Unless you've deleted it.
kidrobot_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #12
TiAg2247

My Ride: E39 M5 | E55 AMG
BMW_Knight please check your PM

Thanks!

Imola Red M5 | Imola Red Interior
M-Audio, Power Sunshades, GT Exhaust, Custom BC Coilovers, 19x10 + 19x11 Rial Dayonta Race, Michelin PSS
Past:
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver on Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black on Black
TiAg2247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:11 AM   #13
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidrobot_ View Post
I'd say secondary air pump as part of the start-up sequence. Unless you've deleted it.
That could be true as well as mine goes to 22.2 for about 5-8secs then goes back down to 14.6. That's if I preheat my WB. If I just crank it shows up 14.6 on the gauges after the warm up phase(WB).

Last edited by TrippinBimmer; 09-13-2012 at 08:13 AM.
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #14
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
Quote:
How far are the sensors from the turbo/engine? The hpf setup has it pretty far back. My first sensor lasted 35k miles. Ive been on my second for 32k

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
Old 09-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #15
rtype16

My Ride: Toyota
Couple of questions where is the sensor installed? How is it installed? Is the sensor parrallel or pointing towards the ground? If it is than the installation is incorrect. It must be over 90 degrees to the ground. Most people do not take this into account when welding on the bung. Can you snap a picture of your install?
rtype16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #16
mike radowski
Account Under Review

My Ride: 02 M3, 97 turbo M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg2247 View Post
Hah, perfect timing. I was just looking into buying some AEM gauges. What else would you guys recommend?

PS. OP, please check your PM when you have a few
NGK AFX with the NTK sensor
mike radowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #17
BMW_Knight

Replaced the sensor. Back in business.

I need to have a new bung welded in. The one I have comes out at a 90 degree angle. I am installing an x-pipe so that will be a good opportunity to install one in the center of it.

Thanks everyone.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:47 PM   #18
rtype16

When you have the new bung installed try to go over 90 degrees so that the tip of the sensor is pointing towards the ground. This is a common thing for people to have the bung installed incorrectly and that can cause the sensor to fail prematurely.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:17 AM   #19
Reid@SP
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: Toyota Supra
Send a message via AIM to Reid@SP Send a message via Yahoo to Reid@SP
It's very hit or miss on the AEM gauge. When I had one, I went about 8000 miles before it failed but had another one after that failed after 2000 miles. When it goes lean, replace immediately. There's no other option. Race gas use only makes them die faster. I have a customer who runs exclusively race gas in his Supra and he's in the shop every friggin month for a new replacement. The reason for the frequent failures is because the AEM UEGO does not use an OEM-style warm-up method. They did this to make the UEGO seemingly more user-friendly as a warm-up cycle can be tedious and annoying. The truth is, that warm-up cycle is very important to the life cycle of the O2 sensor.

Reid

Sound Performance
Shop (630) 893-5002
Cell (847) 363-3139

reid@spracingonline.com

**PLEASE DO NOT PM ME!! Please email me for inquiries/communicaton**
Reid@SP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #20
rtype16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid@SP View Post
It's very hit or miss on the AEM gauge. When I had one, I went about 8000 miles before it failed but had another one after that failed after 2000 miles. When it goes lean, replace immediately. There's no other option. Race gas use only makes them die faster. I have a customer who runs exclusively race gas in his Supra and he's in the shop every friggin month for a new replacement. The reason for the frequent failures is because the AEM UEGO does not use an OEM-style warm-up method. They did this to make the UEGO seemingly more user-friendly as a warm-up cycle can be tedious and annoying. The truth is, that warm-up cycle is very important to the life cycle of the O2 sensor.

Reid
I am sorry but this is incorrect. All of the AEM Wideband Gauges implement a full Bosch UEGO chipset and UEGO sensor. As well as implement the Bosch warm-up procedure precisely.

What kills most sensors is a overly rich mixture and leaded fuels. Also an improperly installed sensor in terms of distance from the turbo/head or angle of the sensor.