E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #1
BMW330CiEric

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330Ci
How long for computer to reset??

I have an 04 330ci that had the computer reset, the check engine light was on. I tried to have it smogged but it came up as incomplete. How many miles do I need to drive it before the computer comes up as complete. I've driven it 90 miles. Thanks for any help

Last edited by BMW330CiEric; 05-08-2012 at 02:08 PM.
BMW330CiEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
BMW330CiEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
Why did you respond then????
Old 05-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #4
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW330CiEric View Post
Why did you respond then????
So you can clarify. Don't go down this road with me. I'm trying to help you. Trust me

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
Mango
A full five stars, son

Nice ninja edit, btw. You clarified your post just a little right before responding to my post to make it look like my comment wasn't justified. I should've quoted.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #6
Redryan98

My Ride: 07 Legacy GT 5MT
I think he's referencing how long before the car will throw a CEL after having it cleared without actually fixing the source of the CEL. This might be completely wrong but I thought it was based off of warm up cycles, not a specific number of miles. Start/stop a few times over a day or two, but most likely the code will come back. Did you check what the code was actually for?
Redryan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
Rice4bfast

My Ride: 325xi Touring
OP, happened to me the other week and it seems that you have to drive a few hundred miles for everything to collect data or use the following method:

Evap not ready

I got scared when i failed cos i thought i bought a lemon but i realized that i just cleared code and this is what the DME did... hope that helps good luck!
Rice4bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #8
Mango
A full five stars, son

Yeah thats what I thought after he clarified his post. His first post read something like HALP TRIED TO SMOG CAR COMPUTER WAS RESET AND FAILED. HOW LONG BEFORE COMPUTER IS COMPLETE?

Fix your problems correctly. Don't cheat the system.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #9
BMW330CiEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redryan98 View Post
I think he's referencing how long before the car will throw a CEL after having it cleared without actually fixing the source of the CEL. This might be completely wrong but I thought it was based off of warm up cycles, not a specific number of miles. Start/stop a few times over a day or two, but most likely the code will come back. Did you check what the code was actually for?
I fixed the problem that caused the CEL to come on. I was told I need to drive the car for 40-50 miles before I took the car in for a smog check. I have driven the car 90 miles and some of the functions are still coming up as incomplete.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #10
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
It is called the driving cycle I believe.
Read up on driving cycles, someone had this issue recently here and a very detailed information was given there.
If you follow that thread you will know how many engine start ups you need and how many miles between them.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #11
Tavo

My Ride: 318i
After you clear the computer you need to drive up to 100 miles to give it a chance to monitor all the sensors and register the results. Sometimes it may be complete in about 50 miles. You'll know when you connect the scanner and check the status. It tells you if ready or not ready. Wait till you see everything ready before going for an inspection.
Tavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #12
jcns

My Ride: California
Quote:
I fixed the problem that caused the CEL to come on. I was told I need to drive the car for 40-50 miles before I took the car in for a smog check. I have driven the car 90 miles and some of the functions are still coming up as incomplete.
not sure what kind of 90 miles you did, but you have to do mixed driving. City, highway, stop and go.
jcns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #13
BMW330CiEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
It is called the driving cycle I believe.
Read up on driving cycles, someone had this issue recently here and a very detailed information was given there.
If you follow that thread you will know how many engine start ups you need and how many miles between them.
Thanks. I just found this...kind of discouraging.

"I had a friend with this problem on his 330i. Did drive cycle after drive cycle nothing worked and nothing was wrong with his car. Finally after he drove around 900 miles or so his readiness codes were ready."
Old 05-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #14
trj

Quote:
Thanks. I just found this...kind of discouraging.

"I had a friend with this problem on his 330i. Did drive cycle after drive cycle nothing worked and nothing was wrong with his car. Finally after he drove around 900 miles or so his readiness codes were ready."
900 miles That would be bonkers to drive that much to complete a drive cycle.

Anyway this post might help you.

This post has it all condensed.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...26&postcount=1
Old 05-08-2012, 02:56 PM   #15
Mango
A full five stars, son

OK you fixed your problem. In the future, begin your posts with as much information as possible.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #16
BMW330CiEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
900 miles That would be bonkers to drive that much to complete a drive cycle.

Anyway this post might help you.

This post has it all condensed.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...26&postcount=1
Good stuff. How do you do this in SoCal...

"My check engine light came on. Not wanting to get screwed on the repair I bought a Peake Tool. By the time the tool arrived the light had gone out. Plugging the tool in showed a code for the O2 sensor. I cleared the code. About a week later took the car in for NYS inspection. Failed inspection due to catalyst not ready and O2 sensor heater not ready. This is a function of the OBD II diagnostic not having enough drive time to set the sensor.

A Google search for for "BMW OBD 2 Drive Cycle" tells all you need to know about the drive cycle. A "drive cycle" which is begun with a cold start. Speeds over 60 mph or RPM over 3000 interrupt the cycle.

My research showed that I had to do two things, drive between 50-60 mph 15 minutes. This is easy to do, just keep the revs down. Of note though, driving 57 mph on the Southern State, EVERYONE passes you.

The other requirement was to drive between 20-30 mph for approx 4 minutes. In my neighborhood on Long Island this is very hard to do. I don't think you can drive for more than one minute without having to stop for a stop sign or a light. In 3 or 4 days of trying I could not do this. Finally pulled out of work right onto the LIE service road, flashers on in the right lane.

A couple of days later, inspection passed!"
Old 05-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #17
trj

Now you know.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:12 PM   #18
maurer

My Ride: 04 Coupe
I thought it took 4 drive cycles to turn a engine light on.....Luckily I live in FL where there are no smog emissions
maurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #19
haurelio

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
they usually recommend to drive the car for at least 70 miles before taking the car to DMV
haurelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #20
Jesse M

My Ride: 05' ZHP
When I was a valet at Nissan the techs would disconnect the battery for completing certain services, and I had to go drive around for a half hour for the ecu to reset. I don't exactly know about bmws but I can't see it being any more than a half hour/30-40 miles. Miss that job ..
Jesse M is offline   Reply With Quote