E46 Fanatics Forum banner

01 330XI Transmission Issue

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  SamDoe1 
#1 ·
Hey guys

I have a 01 330xi with 105k. Transmission started to give me a delayed shift a few months ago. Changed filter and fluid. Delay is getting worse and it feels like the power from the engine is not reaching the transmission 100%.

Car used to shift at 1.5-2k now shifts at about 2.5k gas millage has dropped to an abysmal 12mpg city. Any ideas of what to look for hear?

Appreciate the help
:hi:

#2 ·
sense your car is 01, it falls into the transmission issue this cars have... Best you can due is swap it with
Manual 5 speed.. Other then that you can try have BMW DIAGNOSTIC and they will make all kinda crapy story so they can make money from u..

short story long! Time 4 you to learn how drive 5 speed or get automatic transmission from 03+ make sure double manufacture of the tranny.

#3 ·
Is the transmission shifting really hard or slamming into gear? Does it raise RPM when you step on the gas but the car doesn't accelerate reletive to the engine speed? (slipping)

If it is, you probably need a rebuild.
If you used the wrong type or not enough fluid, it can also make the transmission slip or not shift correctly. I am using Valvoline Dexron VI, and don't have any problems so far. '02 330XI GM390R trans, 123K miles. About 2K miles on fluid, knock on wood. :eeps:

I'm right down the road from you near Newport. :)

#5 ·
Redline D4 shouldn't cause issues....if it was the D6 it might be too slippery for the trans. I feel the D6 is a lot different than what was originally used in the trans. I was very leary of switching my trans over to valvoline dexron 6.

If you can get one with some type of guarantee and only 65K miles, I would probably go for it, for that price. There's a couple of them in the Portland area wrecking yards, B&R had one I believe....might see if they have a trans with low miles. It says 330i, but its actually an XI.

#6 ·
Tonight i noticed my bmw giving me a delayed shift also! I only had my car for like a week now!! I reverse out of driveway, put it in Drive and when i accelerated it wouldnt go at all.. like it was in neutral for 5 seconds... im kinda shitty right now, when i test drove the car it didnt do that of course... and also it has an oil leak now... VCG isnt a big deal but a transmission is.. ugg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.