E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
Astoria330xi

My Ride: '01 BMW 330xi
Unhappy 01 330XI Transmission Issue

Hey guys

I have a 01 330xi with 105k. Transmission started to give me a delayed shift a few months ago. Changed filter and fluid. Delay is getting worse and it feels like the power from the engine is not reaching the transmission 100%.

Car used to shift at 1.5-2k now shifts at about 2.5k gas millage has dropped to an abysmal 12mpg city. Any ideas of what to look for hear?

Appreciate the help
Astoria330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #2
Gus330vrum

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astoria330xi View Post
Hey guys

I have a 01 330xi with 105k. Transmission started to give me a delayed shift a few months ago. Changed filter and fluid. Delay is getting worse and it feels like the power from the engine is not reaching the transmission 100%.

Car used to shift at 1.5-2k now shifts at about 2.5k gas millage has dropped to an abysmal 12mpg city. Any ideas of what to look for hear?

Appreciate the help
sense your car is 01, it falls into the transmission issue this cars have... Best you can due is swap it with
Manual 5 speed.. Other then that you can try have BMW DIAGNOSTIC and they will make all kinda crapy story so they can make money from u..

short story long! Time 4 you to learn how drive 5 speed or get automatic transmission from 03+ make sure double manufacture of the tranny.
Gus330vrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #3
Bobby330xi

My Ride: '02 330 XI Auto
Is the transmission shifting really hard or slamming into gear? Does it raise RPM when you step on the gas but the car doesn't accelerate reletive to the engine speed? (slipping)

If it is, you probably need a rebuild.
If you used the wrong type or not enough fluid, it can also make the transmission slip or not shift correctly. I am using Valvoline Dexron VI, and don't have any problems so far. '02 330XI GM390R trans, 123K miles. About 2K miles on fluid, knock on wood.

I'm right down the road from you near Newport.
Bobby330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
Astoria330xi

My Ride: '01 BMW 330xi
i can get my hands ona replacement 65k for 700 bucks (wholesale with lkq) Everything will run me 1200. the shifting is relatively smooth put the power distribution doesnt match engine to transmission. kust feels like slipping. we used redline ATF.
Astoria330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #5
Bobby330xi

My Ride: '02 330 XI Auto
Redline D4 shouldn't cause issues....if it was the D6 it might be too slippery for the trans. I feel the D6 is a lot different than what was originally used in the trans. I was very leary of switching my trans over to valvoline dexron 6.

If you can get one with some type of guarantee and only 65K miles, I would probably go for it, for that price. There's a couple of them in the Portland area wrecking yards, B&R had one I believe....might see if they have a trans with low miles. It says 330i, but its actually an XI.
Bobby330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:29 AM   #6
B-Sho

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330Xi
Tonight i noticed my bmw giving me a delayed shift also! I only had my car for like a week now!! I reverse out of driveway, put it in Drive and when i accelerated it wouldnt go at all.. like it was in neutral for 5 seconds... im kinda shitty right now, when i test drove the car it didnt do that of course... and also it has an oil leak now... VCG isnt a big deal but a transmission is.. ugg
B-Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Sho View Post
Tonight i noticed my bmw giving me a delayed shift also! I only had my car for like a week now!! I reverse out of driveway, put it in Drive and when i accelerated it wouldnt go at all.. like it was in neutral for 5 seconds... im kinda shitty right now, when i test drove the car it didnt do that of course... and also it has an oil leak now... VCG isnt a big deal but a transmission is.. ugg
^ Some states require a mandatory 30 day warranty on drive train components if you buy from a dealer. Not sure if your state does this, but it's something to look into.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #8
B-Sho

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
^ Some states require a mandatory 30 day warranty on drive train components if you buy from a dealer. Not sure if your state does this, but it's something to look into.
The Illinois Used Car Warranty Law is a piece of legislation that creates specific warranty terms for the powertrain on used cars. This means used car dealers are liable for damage to the engine, transmission and other drive components, as long as it doesn't result from an accident or owner negligence. The Illinois Used Car Warranty Law covers all used cars for 30 days from the time of sale. For cars that are less than two years old, the used car seller must pay for 50 percent of the damage to powertrain components. This amount falls to a 25 percent share for vehicles between two and three years old, and ten percent for vehicles between three and four years old. Beyond this, the Illinois Used Car Warranty Law does not require dealers to pay for any portion of repairs.

Looks like im screwed they did say i could still call them and get a year warranty on the car for $1500 though.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #9
SamDoe1

Quote:
Looks like im screwed they did say i could still call them and get a year warranty on the car for $1500 though.
That's bogus. In MN, most used cars (not sure what the specific requirements are) have to carry a 30 day warranty on the drivetrain. My 2004 had one when I bought the car in 2009.

Also, get that warranty now. You will be using it rather soon.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:03 PM   #10
B-Sho

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
That's bogus. In MN, most used cars (not sure what the specific requirements are) have to carry a 30 day warranty on the drivetrain. My 2004 had one when I bought the car in 2009.

Also, get that warranty now. You will be using it rather soon.
Well see i bought my car in Chicago and i live in richmond indiana which is a 5 hour drive from where i live... so i would kinda like a warranty somewhere closer so i wouldnt have to drive so far and pay a crazy tow bill if the transmission goes out. Can you go up to car dealerships anywhere and get a warranty for a car even though you didnt buy the car there?
Old 05-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #11
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:

I would not buy an aftermarket warranty (I wouldn't buy an automatic BMW either).

Spend the money on preventative maintenance.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #12
SamDoe1

Quote:
Well see i bought my car in Chicago and i live in richmond indiana which is a 5 hour drive from where i live... so i would kinda like a warranty somewhere closer so i wouldnt have to drive so far and pay a crazy tow bill if the transmission goes out. Can you go up to car dealerships anywhere and get a warranty for a car even though you didnt buy the car there?
No you can't. Depending on the warranty they sell, it may or may not be useable around the country. Usually the aftermarket warranties are ones where you pay and get reimbursed for the expense minus any deductible. Do some research on what they are selling and what people think of it before you buy.

Aside from that, start pricing out an MT swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
I would not buy an aftermarket warranty (I wouldn't buy an automatic BMW either).

Spend the money on preventative maintenance.
PM wasn't his issue, it was lack of a PPI and/or a sudden failure. Some aftermarket warranties are decent, but research needs to be done to determine which ones are.