E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 02:03 AM   #1
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
cleaning "ruberized" door handles?

my door handles, especially my drivers side, is very crappy feeling. it feels as though it's turned to rubber over time. if you scrub it it just seems to make it worse. this piece is definitely not leather.
is there a secret to cleaning this? or am i just stuck buying a new piece which is nearly impossible.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
What door handles are you talking about? The arm rest? Can you provide pics?
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
What are you using to "scrub"? Brillo pads??
If you're talking about your inner door handle(s) looking dirty from fingerprints and hand oil/sweat... Don't use harsh chemical cleaners.

I would suggest using 3 drops of dish soap in a cup of warm water then get an old toothbrush < clean/sanitize it first!) to gently brush the stains off. You don't need to use force. Let the mild soap solution breakup the oils/stains. No need to let it soak in neither.

Works incredibly well.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
^ Upholstry brushes work well too, you don't want to use anything abrasive on the interior of your car. You shouldn't use anything abrasive on the outside of your car either unless you know what you're doing.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
Beau B

My Ride: 2003 ZHP Sedan
Did you take your armrests off to do this? Mine are extremely dirty from the previous owner (dont think he ever detailed the car) or were you able to get them clean with them on the car still?
Beau B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
1Z Einszett Deep Plastic cleaner will work if it's your arm rest. Is it the armrest or the door opener that is chrome? If you scrubbed it with abrasives or household cleaner you may have ruined it.

"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #7
peytonracer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
1Z Einszett Deep Plastic cleaner will work if it's your arm rest. Is it the armrest or the door opener that is chrome? If you scrubbed it with abrasives or household cleaner you may have ruined it.
It's the arm rest. It seems as though the material is wearing away and has left this rubberized coating. My center arm rest gets this way in humid weather.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
Miami-beamy

My Ride: 328i / e46
Same problem listen just use windex and a cloth... It might seem like Ur rubbing of rubber at first but eventually it will turned like that until u come to smooth surface it will stay ... Florida weather destroys all interior on these cars ...

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
Miami-beamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #9
peytonracer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami-beamy View Post
Same problem listen just use windex and a cloth... It might seem like Ur rubbing of rubber at first but eventually it will turned like that until u come to smooth surface it will stay ... Florida weather destroys all interior on these cars ...

So are you rubbing off the original textured surface to get to a smooth surface?
Old 07-01-2012, 06:36 PM   #10
Miami-beamy

My Ride: 328i / e46
Yeah eventually Ur going to have to is not going to stop until it does original texture will wear off

Miami-beamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #11
TonyDiv

My Ride: 03 325Ci Convertible
I've removed most of that rubbery coating from the interior of my car. Once it gets scratched, there is nothing else that you can really do about it, other than remove it.
I found that wetting the areas with some paint prep spray along with some gentle scrubbing with a scotch brite pad will remove it, and leave nice clean plastic behind. A little bit of protectant will give the plastic some gloss, if you're in to that look.
TonyDiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #12
Grande D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami-beamy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
So are you rubbing off the original textured surface to get to a smooth surface?
That's an awful idea. No Windex. Take a picture of the armrest OP.

"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."
Old 07-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #13
TonyDiv

What else would you have him (us) do? Once that rubberized coating is scratched it looks like hell and it cannot be repaired. Your only option is to remove it and either try to repaint it or just leave it alone.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:30 PM   #14
TonyDiv

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...center+console

I got these same results.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #15
VG1134
Old City Bimmer

My Ride: Classifieds
Yep warm water does the trick. Afterwards if it's black interior you can use dip it to recoat it. Either way it will look better than peeling look.
VG1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:01 AM   #16
peytonracer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VG1134 View Post
Yep warm water does the trick. Afterwards if it's black interior you can use dip it to recoat it. Either way it will look better than peeling look.
Are you guys talking about the center console? I'm talking about the "leather" arm rest on the door
Old 07-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #17
Grande D

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDiv View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
Are you guys talking about the center console? I'm talking about the "leather" arm rest on the door
You two have different armrest material. I know because I have both a coupe and the sedan. The coupe has the same "skin" on the non leather sections of the armrest as the center console. Windex is still way too harsh.

Peyton, your armrest isn't leather, it's vinyl. Take a picture so I can see what shape the coating is in. Otherwise the last person who can actually help you in this thread, won't.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #18
peytonracer4

It's kinda hard to see, but the lighter part is rubbery feeling part
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1341348159.457274.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	459130  
Old 07-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #19
Grande D

It does look like the coat is peeling or damaged in some way based on the discoloration. I would clean it very gently. Without re-wrapping it in new vinyl I think it will never become as new, but there are a couple things you could try.

Something like Zymol Vinyl Treat is a conditioner that should soak into the armrest and might help with the sticky feeling, or you could try using 303 Aerospace Protectant applied frequently, it may relieve some of the sticky feeling.