E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
tweeeker

My Ride: is getting modded
Engine swap vs DME

I want to swap my 325i with a 330i engine. Problem is, that the 330i is automatic. Does anyone know where i can get my DME re-programed? I really dont want to change my ignition n locks n keys etc...

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:50 AM   #2
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeeker View Post
I want to swap my 325i with a 330i engine. Problem is, that the 330i is automatic. Does anyone know where i can get my DME re-programed? I really dont want to change my ignition n locks n keys etc...
Depending on what the timeframe is and where in Jersey you are, I could do it for you.

And why not just keep the transmission from your 325 with the 330 engine?
Old 05-16-2012, 07:02 AM   #3
j_block

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Depending on what the timeframe is and where in Jersey you are, I could do it for you.

And why not just keep the transmission from your 325 with the 330 engine?
I think he is saying he has a 5 speed and the 330 has an auto. Which means the dme is for an auto and not a manual? Maybe?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Bimmer App
Old 05-16-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
TerraPhantm

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_block View Post
I think he is saying he has a 5 speed and the 330 has an auto. Which means the dme is for an auto and not a manual? Maybe?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Bimmer App
Maybe, but then he'd have to grab the ews and keys from the donor car. It'd be better to keep the 325 DME and flash the 330 tune onto it.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:30 AM   #5
tweeeker

actually, you guys are all kinda correct. I have a 325i. Have a 330i engine for an automatic. would like to prog my dme to the 330 engine....if possible.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:45 PM   #6
TerraPhantm

Quote:
actually, you guys are all kinda correct. I have a 325i. Have a 330i engine for an automatic. would like to prog my dme to the 330 engine....if possible.
It's trivial to reprogram the DME. Auto vs manual doesn't matter. Just grab the flywheel and pilot bearing from your 325 engine, stick them on the 330 engine, and put the 330 engine in your car
Old 05-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #7
tweeeker

Quote:
It's trivial to reprogram the DME. Auto vs manual doesn't matter. Just grab the flywheel and pilot bearing from your 325 engine, stick them on the 330 engine, and put the 330 engine in your car
I get the mechanical part of it...but I would think that with the 325 DME and a 330 engine....1) won't the car look for the auto trans? 2) The values will be off? The reason i say this is because next summer i would like to super charge it....now with that it will come with software for the 330. Then what?..if I'm running the 325 DME.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:05 AM   #8
Hornung418

My Ride: '04 MB ZHP
You're not running a 325 DME. It's an MS43 DME. There is a part number that you select when programming it. You can use any MS43 DME to run a 325 or 330, as long as it has been coded to the engine in question. Tuning companies do the same thing when they are reprogramming it to fit your mods. You have nothing to worry about.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:51 AM   #9
tweeeker

Will i be able to run the 330 engine, from an automatic, with my MS43 DME with no issues? running rich? chk engine?, running rough, etc.....
Old 05-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #10
Hornung418

My Ride: '04 MB ZHP
Is it really that hard to comprehend? What else do you want us to tell you for you to understand??
Old 05-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
TerraPhantm

Quote:
Will i be able to run the 330 engine, from an automatic, with my MS43 DME with no issues? running rich? chk engine?, running rough, etc.....
You have to reprogram the DME to the 330 software - both the 325 and 330 use the MS43, so reprogramming is trivial.

And I don't know why you keep mentioning that it's from an automatic. It has no relevance since you'd swap the flywheel and pilot bearing anyway. The engine itself has no software on it. As long as there's no automatic transmission plugged in at the time of programming, it won't look for a transmission controller

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 05-21-2012 at 02:32 PM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:00 AM   #12
tweeeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
Is it really that hard to comprehend? What else do you want us to tell you for you to understand??

.....thank you for your 411

Quote:
You have to reprogram the DME to the 330 software - both the 325 and 330 use the MS43, so reprogramming is trivial.

And I don't know why you keep mentioning that it's from an automatic. It has no relevance since you'd swap the flywheel and pilot bearing anyway. The engine itself has no software on it. As long as there's no automatic transmission plugged in at the time of programming, it won't look for a transmission controller
ok GOTCHA! thank you.