E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #41
Tex323GripIsKey

My Ride: 2000 323i Green
Lucky ass chillin on the West Coast... I'd give ... I don't know what i'd give. All I know is I want to see the beach and not have to worry about my car overheating all the fuggin time.

I can see how his thread was confusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
I used to drive fast and cowboy around, but then I realized that I can't even afford bumping into someone, so now it's slow and classy, with occasional spurts of speed. Fanatics might pick on each other from time to time, but we are all one great big family that looks out for each other in the end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I pull up to meets, lean to one side, shakin my finger at all da playahaterz. Then I get back into my car and flash mah beamz.
323i brakes & rotors
Tex323GripIsKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #42
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex323GripIsKey View Post
*bumper looks like an ebay bumper too... I put a similar one on my ride, but the body shop did a much better paint match than that car. Idk you can just look at the picture and tell... sorry OP we're not trying to bash your new ride, just pointing out the obvious... maybe you can get a refund or hopefully you havent paid for it yet. Chrome rims on a BMW make me sad... Unless that BMW is worth 50K+ and can pull off the look. (SUV)
First thing that came to my mind after seeing all the side flutes and the hood inlet, chromies, entire interior, (Was this car owned by mexicans?) no offense.....
Quote:
That car's a POS. Screwed up front and rear bumper, screwed up sideskirts, screwed up interior, unknown aftermarket seats, crappy 12-year old teenager racing pedals, skull shift knob, missing parts in the engine bay, faded white paint, scratched up rear seats. I'm sure there's more... that's just me glancing over the pictures extremely fast
It's a used car. It's not perfect but this doesn't look like a POS. And it doesn't look like the PO put cheap parts on. maybe somewhat tacky but not cheap. The wheels are two piece AC Schnitzer wheels. Those "teenager racing pedal and skull shift knob" are actually SPARCO. The seats look like quality hybrid street-racing seats and the headunit is Kenwood and the exhaust is Supersprint.

Yes he's missing few pieces like strut cap and jumper block cover but no biggie. Yes the bumper has taken some hits and lost the fog cover but it can easily be repainted and fixed.
I'd be worried more about the engine than cosmetic scratches on an 11 year old M3. Subframeand engine would be the things that need to be looked at when he gets it.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #43
EverydayGetaway

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
That interior makes me cringe... the stock ///M interiors are so perfect, why would you go s*** all over it? Good luck with the car though, OP, I think it'll be fine as long as the subframe is ok and it's been maintained to a certain degree. I would def try to find replacement wheels right away, yea they're AC Schnitzers, but they look awful, they really degrade the rest of the cars appearance.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #44
jneumann

My Ride: 323i, 530i, Z4 3.0i
Send a message via AIM to jneumann
Should have demanded the original parts... The OEM interior and wheels look far better than that heap, even if they are expensive parts...

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ

jneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #45
Mango

My Ride: M54B30
I forgot to mention the Kenwood HU. Double din? Someone's vents are hacked up. Trust the work?

Bumpers and sideskirts need to be replaced. That's not going to be cheap. Thats already at least three grand. Sorry, but nothing but OE pedals/shifters (ZHP shifter) belongs on an ///M car or any BMW for that matter. When you don't have service records for a car, the only thing you have to go by is the parts that the p/o installed on it and the way he treated it. You can only go by whats in front of you. And whats in front of you is a car that's been neglected, abused, and poorly modded (IMO)

Is it a slam dunk POS? Not necessarily. That's where your DIYing skills come in. There's also luck.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #46
PH03NIX46

My Ride: '03 M3
I retract my previous statement on this car.

Those wheels are probably worth as much as my car.

Not to mention, the mods he's done are expensive (but should've stayed on a JDM car.....sparco shiftknob + pedals look worse than stock). But the seats are nice. The K&N intake looks well done, it's actually got a heatshield.

You got a fantastic deal on a nice car!!

Personally, I'd bring some things back to stock like pedals and shiftknob, and Maaco can paint your bumpers + sideskirts (they did my front and rear bumper...did an awesome job) and offer you a lifetime warranty. If paint cracks, they fix it for free. There's no way to go wrong.

Last edited by PH03NIX46; 05-18-2012 at 03:56 PM.
PH03NIX46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:59 PM   #47
Mango

If you do do Maaco or the likes, make sure it's two-stage paint (base+clear) and not some oily mess. You might be stuck with getting replica bumpers unless you planned a big budget for this.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-18-2012, 10:03 PM   #48
Alex323Ci

Quote:
I forgot to mention the Kenwood HU. Double din? Someone's vents are hacked up. Trust the work?

Bumpers and sideskirts need to be replaced. That's not going to be cheap. Thats already at least three grand. Sorry, but nothing but OE pedals/shifters (ZHP shifter) belongs on an ///M car or any BMW for that matter. When you don't have service records for a car, the only thing you have to go by is the parts that the p/o installed on it and the way he treated it. You can only go by whats in front of you. And whats in front of you is a car that's been neglected, abused, and poorly modded (IMO)

Is it a slam dunk POS? Not necessarily. That's where your DIYing skills come in. There's also luck.
I don't see how you come up with $3,000 for the bumpers and sideskirts. What exactly is wrong with them to need $3000 worth of work?
I certainly don't see how you came up earlier with $10,000 to get the car back into decent shape. What you seeing that I don't
Old 05-18-2012, 10:25 PM   #49
Alex323Ci

I noticed the front rotors have a groove on the one side at the edge of the rotor. And mixmatched lug nuts, strange.
Previous owner had a speaker box it looks like in the rear.

On a postive note, as I said before the previous owner did put expensive parts on it. Those two-piece ACS wheels can easiy be flipped. As you could also for the Sparco pedals and shifter.
I could be wrong, but I think those are the Sparco Milano seats that cost about $1750 each.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:36 PM   #50
PH03NIX46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
I could be wrong, but I think those are the Sparco Milano seats that cost about $1750 each.
Sure looks like it.

Then again, they could be fakes.
I feel like if he had seats like that, he'd note it in the ad..
Old 05-18-2012, 10:56 PM   #51
Mango

I haven't looked at the pictures a second time, but from what I remember the bumpers and sideskirts are cracked. The rear bumper is bruised. Sure you could heat them up, fill, sand and paint but it will not be like OE finish. Then for the front bumper, I'm pretty sure all the liners are torn up. That stuff adds up--fast. My 3k was just a guestimate. I mean how much are new Mtech bumpers for non-M? $1,200? And thats not including sides. Then to paint them, blend, etc. You're basically repainting most of the car. My 3k estimate is actually WAY low. I could be wrong though. Then you're gonna need to service the sh! out of it--valve adjustments, vanos, suspension, brakes, fluids, drivetrain, etc.

Personally I don't know what those seats are, but I'd have to by the stock seats and put them in. You know me--i'm somewhat of a purist. :-p

Then theres all the other odds and ends. it's certainly gonna need new xenon bulbs, headlight lenses, LED rear retrofit, it's gonna need STOCK 19s.

Of course you could just buy and drive it like that.

Also don't think the servicing thats required is limited to what you can see in pics. Imagine what the pics don't show you.

Congrats on the purchase though, OP. let us know what you do with the car

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 05-18-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:13 PM   #52
cancell

My Ride: 2000 323i
Send a message via AIM to cancell Send a message via MSN to cancell
Quote:
I haven't looked at the pictures a second time, but from what I remember the bumpers and sideskirts are cracked. The rear bumper is bruised. Sure you could heat them up, fill, sand and paint but it will not be like OE finish. Then for the front bumper, I'm pretty sure all the liners are torn up. That stuff adds up--fast. My 3k was just a guestimate. I mean how much are new Mtech bumpers for non-M? $1,200? And thats not including sides. Then to paint them, blend, etc. You're basically repainting most of the car. My 3k estimate is actually WAY low. I could be wrong though. Then you're gonna need to service the sh! out of it--valve adjustments, vanos, suspension, brakes, fluids, drivetrain, etc.

Personally I don't know what those seats are, but I'd have to by the stock seats and put them in. You know me--i'm somewhat of a purist. :-p

Then theres all the other odds and ends. it's certainly gonna need new xenon bulbs, headlight lenses, LED rear retrofit, it's gonna need STOCK 19s.

Of course you could just buy and drive it like that.

Also don't think the servicing thats required is limited to what you can see in pics. Imagine what the pics don't show you.

Congrats on the purchase though, OP. let us know what you do with the car

You are too critical. e46 M3 for $11.5k, who cares? Perfect for DIY maintenance/mods, DD, and auto cross. Wont have to worry about beating up a garage queen M3

The lesser we know...the more they fabricate...the easier it is to sell souls
There is a new price on freedom, so buy into it while supplies last.
We've unified over who to kill, so until I find more relevant scripture to quote...
remember, our god is bigger, stronger, smarter, and much wealthier.
So wave those flags with pride... It's the makeshift patriot.
cancell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:18 PM   #53
PH03NIX46

Quote:
Originally Posted by cancell View Post
You are too critical. e46 M3 for $11.5k, who cares? Perfect for DIY maintenance/mods, DD, and auto cross. Wont have to worry about beating up a garage queen M3
Yes! Exactly.

If I bought an e46 M3 in mint condition, I'd feel absolutely awful every time I hit the gas.

With this one, I wouldn't mind at all. Perfect car to learn a lot about BMW's M-division on.

Not to mention, Mango, if those Sparco seats are real, and you mentioned you wouldn't want them, selling those seats + shift knob + wheels would probably leave enough money left over to buy the stock stuff as well as get a really solid touch-up of the entire car.

Maintenance is maintenance. We all go through it. When shopping for an M, you have to take maintenance into account no matter the condition of the car.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #54
SemperJerzey

My Ride: BMW M3 2002
Hey I appreciate the positive (and negative) input. I love working on cars and I have nothing but time so this is a perfect project for me. First thing im doing with the 3grand is replacement parts and adjustments to make this car run smooth as possible. Then I'll take my time with cosmetics. I love M3's and always have, I finally found one for 12 and I plan to make it worth it. you guys are really insightful and I thank everyone's input, it helps, weather it was bad or good. You guys are great!
SemperJerzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:06 PM   #55
Tex323GripIsKey

My Ride: 2000 323i Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperJerzey View Post
Hey I appreciate the positive (and negative) input. I love working on cars and I have nothing but time so this is a perfect project for me. First thing im doing with the 3grand is replacement parts and adjustments to make this car run smooth as possible. Then I'll take my time with cosmetics. I love M3's and always have, I finally found one for 12 and I plan to make it worth it. you guys are really insightful and I thank everyone's input, it helps, weather it was bad or good. You guys are great!
True fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
I used to drive fast and cowboy around, but then I realized that I can't even afford bumping into someone, so now it's slow and classy, with occasional spurts of speed. Fanatics might pick on each other from time to time, but we are all one great big family that looks out for each other in the end.
Quote:
I pull up to meets, lean to one side, shakin my finger at all da playahaterz. Then I get back into my car and flash mah beamz.
323i brakes & rotors
Tex323GripIsKey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, bought, m3